Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Minnesota United FC (Saturday, 3/7) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 2 - 5 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pfffft

Beerking repped this.
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Shite. :thumbsdown:

rcoull, 2in10 and GrayBeard repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Blown out at home.

5. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    You know.. 4 goals in first 2 games sounds like a dream start for most coaches. But that's only for teams with goalies and defenses and other useless stuff.

dakotajoe, nivla, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  6. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After being a season ticket holder since 2008, I did not go to any games in 2019. I decided to go to the first game of this season. And that will be it until this ownership proves that they care. And I don’t see that happening.

i’ll still cheer for the quakes but will not spend a dime on tickets or merchandise until ownership shows that they care. This ownership/front office is pathetic. But we all know that....

S.J. Jim, mjlee22, Antonio2020 and 5 others repped this.
  7. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had more possession and shots so it wasn't that bad, right? :-|

Last year Almeyda put people in new positions to help them succeed, not working so great so far this season. It's early, though.

Wish Vega had been better today.

8. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    staudio, You finally found the courage to do what I did 2 seasons ago :)

The Quakes were supposed to give me some good feels after the Sharks debacle, but I should have known better.

I just can't stand this. How can you own a ********in team and continue to mire it in absolutely trash? Doesn't Fisher have a fcuckin ounce of competitive pride in him? He already made money with the A's, how about just putting in an extra 4-5 million into the Quakes and win himself a goddamn league championship!

I am sooo fcuckin frustrated. I just want to punch through a ********in wall.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Letsee if the media folks are actually going to ask some hard-hitting questions this time or they're gonna feed Almeyda some ridiculous softies.

Joel, do the right thing, ASK him the questions. ASK, please, for the fan's sake, PLEASE ASK HIM.

dakotajoe and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, we need to make some change before the next match. I’ve only seen the highlights on this one, but our marking on corner kicks is crap. Other teams are taking advantage of our man marking system to create chaos in our box, and get a guy free. Those are pre-planned set plays where we’re getting ripped. I’d say that one of the Loons goals from the corner was a pick play, but that wouldn’t have changed anything had it been called back. Wow, we suck.

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

davez and bobby_guzman repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My God , what a disaster!

I could see it coming last week. This team has not changed or improved at all. Alanís notwithstanding , I think we virtually have the same team that started off 0 & 4 last season. It is looking like we are going down the same path. Unless Almeyda works his magical tactics again, I think we are headed for another long season. I’m not sure if my heart can take it anymore...

Defender, S.J. Jim, Antonio2020 and 2 others repped this.
  13. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I think Cade did better than Danny but Cade looks to have a fitness problem so there is no way he can make 60 or more minutes.

Antonio2020 and Beerking repped this.
  14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    When you have a weak preseason playing teams like Cracks del Futuro and making virtually zero trades or acquisitions you get what we had on the field tonight.

Thank God we get PU next week, the league pitched us a softball there.

Defender, Scott Rohde and bobby_guzman repped this.
  15. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I smell a 6-1 whooping in Chester. Vako will score the lone goal.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That Ike Opara guy might be good. Wish the Quakes had drafted him.

17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    We won’t always look this bad. Our first 2 games are against teams who will be competing for a top 4 spot at the end of the season.

We are an average (or slightly below average) team but it won’t look like it until we play those teams who are worse than us.

However, to match our performance from last year we’ll need to pick up some unlikely points like we did last year (we beat Toronto on the road and shut out the Galaxy).

I think Galaxy might actually be worse this year unless chicharito finds his groove (I hope he doesn’t and so far hasn’t).

We really need to rethink preseason in Cancun. We aren’t getting good games there and I think this idea that we’re in better shape than other teams is a stretch.

We also need to improve the roster. The idea that we would improve by cohesion and stability isn’t showing yet. It’s going to sting if SKC beats us at home and especially if Pulido scores on us as I feel like we could have signed him.

It really stings to see that MN is a better team than us. They were the laughing stock of the league and year after year they corrected their mistakes and picked up proven MLS talent. They didn’t do anything we couldn’t have done.

18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one bright spot tonight: TT and Espinoza. Espinoza looked lost on the left. and TT wasn't nearly as effective with Cowell.

I think Alanis is obviously and upgrade in offense, but not as good as Flo on defense. And Kashia sucks. While we'd lose some bite, I think Flo and Alanis is a must in Center D now. I bet Flo could destroy if asked and I think he could do a better job marking on set pieces.

Lima had a really subpar game. I'm not entirely sure whats up, but it might be matching with Hoesen who is a lost cause at mid.

I think our biggest problem though is Magnus and Yueill in the empty bucket. The only difference there is Judson, so I guess we need to go back to him. Getting Magnus off the field is a good thing.

Hoeson can only play center forward. He and Rios need to fight it out at the top (I'd pick Hoesen).

Vako had a better second half but it's not nearly good enough from him for two games. I'd rather see him sit, Wondo under Hoesen and Shea at left mid.

Vega, Vega, Vega. Time to start some youth at keeper?

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As I have noted too many times, the team treated him so shabbily. You could tell he really enjoyed scoring that goal.

Sactown Soccer, Defender and markmcf8 repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He scored two, the first and the last.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As I have noted too many times, the team treated him so shabbily. You could tell he really enjoyed scoring that goal.

JazzyJ repped this.
  22. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored a goal. You don't sit guys who scored goals from the run of play. And of course it's not nearly good enough from him, he's playing out of position, as like 2 out of the 3 damn seasons he's been here. He's playing like a $1.4M DP, which is a chump change in today's MLS.

Put him out wide, and let him cut inside. Let Espinoza cross on the right and Lima/TT cross on the left.

Vako is the guy I least worry about.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seems like a few former Quakes relished scoring against their old team.

Justin Morrow I believe celebrated a lot after he scored.

Had Opara stayed though, he probably would have ended up like the rest in the land of the lost. No way will he have won the defender of the year award twice or even once, for that matter.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the last year of Vako’s contract? He just doesn’t look right. Not dribbling into lots of guys, not trying to break through into the 6 yard box. Can’t even take a quick swing at the ball.

Maybe he is already checked out, i.e. ready to leave?

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The first one I noticed; I'd mentally checked out by the last. But thanks for clarifying!