San Jose Earthquakes - Deportivo Toluca FC CONCACAF Champions League (Tues, 3/11) in/post thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 11, 2014.

1. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beg to differ. IMO, late challenges need to be cleaned up in the MLS. If you watch carefully, most of the the time, .., a Tolucan player went to ground after he felt contact to the metatarsal bone from a late challenge. Plus, if you listen carefully, one can hear the contact from a late challenge.

If the ref used his whistle on these late challenges then there wouldn't be a need for the extra dramatics.

2. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Belated post here.

I thought we looked pretty good the other night. Moreover:

- We had far more chances and were unfortunate not to win.
    - Toluca is the 2nd best team in Liga MX. They were missing some players but we so were we.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mexico/standings
    - I didn't like how much possession we surrendered, especially in the first half, but that was our first competitive match in 6 months.
    - The general tone on this board can be a bit negative at times, and I don't want to defend each player. I will say that Cronin and that French player we signed looked fine to me. They were effectively playing 2 v 3 in central mid most of the match.
    - Cato dawdles on the ball too long though he did look dangerous at times.
    - Wondo as usual got himself in great positions. You can't finish them all and none were sitters. But him not putting one away was the diff in the match. Unfair criticism perhaps but that's why he makes the big bucks.
    - Hernandez mistake and a great finish on their goal.

I feel better about our season now than I did before the game.

3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JBP was probably punched, but no one else on the 'Quakes even made an effort to slow the game to "aid" his distress.

My issue is not with time wasting or the simulation, it's with the complaint that the goal was scored "30 seconds after the game ended". The Toluca tactics causes the game to run on longer and let the 'Quakes get their equalizing goal.

No simulation, no shitty time wasting (and Busch does it ALL the time, not just when we are winning), and the game ends with a minute of stoppage time, Toluca goes home with a win...

JazzyJ repped this.
  4. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futbol karma ensues. Que lastima...(not).

5. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal was scored at 93:55, within the 4 minutes of stoppage. The whole first minute of added time was wasted by Toluca when JBP got his yellow so if anything more time should have been added.

6. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    JBP did get a hand to the face after he pushed Ponce in the back, not sure it was a punch but I think at that moment he was thinking about getting a Toluca starter suspended for the second match. Hopefully he'll learn quickly that's not the way the Goonies roll.

DotMPP repped this.
  7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Not sure I understand your post, but I hate simulation and blatant time wasting. I'd be happy if we never had a US or Quake player who engaged those tactics. Screw the results. I wish we could ask each of our players to sign a vow against diving. Want a US style of play? How about we start with Not Diving? Regardless, I think US, Irish and British fans are unfair and sometimes a bit racist in shaming our opponents for things we also get up to.

JBP was clearly getting a Concacaf education. His response was very newbie. I'd rather have the high ground, and his teammates would obviously prefer to get on with business and get a result!

I had a bigger complaint with how little extra time the ref gave us. Three minutes is pretty standard, but with all the injuries and obvious time wasting, four minutes seemed like a joke.

P.S. What is with Jon Bush wasting time when we're losing? I know he has to wait until we can get all our goons upfield, but it's beyond that.

8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are agreeing. We're just pointing to different examples of what we don't like about time wasting.