Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Columbus Crew (Saturday, 5/19) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 20, 2012.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 1 - 1 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes should try scoring before the last ten minutes

3. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Gordon doesn't start next game, I'm going to be asking some serious questions of Frank. I've been calling for him to start since day 1. He is a better goalscorer than Lenhart, plain and simple. Moreno should also start every game, and Baca should never play out wide again.

4. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Wondo was playing in Europe he would become a sub now.
    I want to be very annoyed but the team salvaged complete disappointment.

5. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apart from that penalty what else was there? You cannot base a performance off of one play. If we did that Fernando Torres would start every game for Chelsea based off of that goal in Barcelona. He is useful. The question is how far can he take you. Or Gordon for that matter. Because if you look at RSL and Seattle those are teams that have TWO forwards that can create for themselves. That is what I base my judgement on. And it is why I ask the question.

6. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the brink of getting called up for the US. Wondo is playing very badly. He is not really working hard. He wants every pass perfectly to his feet and if he doesn't get that then he whines. You are right about him being a sub in Europe by the way.

mjlee22 repped this.
  7. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    While he isn't on the best run of form, I don't really think it is fair to say Wondo isn't working hard. He always, always works hard for the team

8. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Well that's a hot topic of late. His number one job is to provide an outlet for the team to transition into attack with long passes and I thought he was very good at it this game.
    I'll see if I change my mind after a 2nd watch, but I think I mentioned several instances during PBP.

9. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lenhart was wasteful this game. It doesn't matter how good he is at holdup play if he can't do anything with the ball at his feet. This is what sets Gordon apart from Lenny, IMO

10. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is going to score then? It can't be Wondo every time.

11. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Some forwards create for themselves, some create for others. I think on this team those 2 fit in great.
    Did Lenhart miss great scoring chances tonight? I don't recall exactly but I don't think so. I think he's pretty good in the same scoring situations that Gordon is good in, although Gordon has the edge right now when considering minutes played.

12. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm talking mostly about his runs. He looks lethargic. Maybe he's tired. As we know, this is a guy so dependent on service that his runs have to be in tune or he won't be too productive. So someone on this team has to begin to pick up the slack when he is not playing well or the service isn't there. That guy has to be one that can create for himself.

13. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you place the burden of how far this team goes on Wondo's shoulders for another year?

14. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was 2 minutes away from throwing my TV remote against the wall...
    Wondo's missed PK, Dawkins miss....frustrating. Good teams don't squander those chances.
    AG does his magic once again, I'm just glad he didn't get injured during the goal celebration when tackled by Garza
    A tie at home against a poor team still feels like a loss.
    I don't know what to expect Wednesday night.

15. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but I had to do a double take on this sentence regarding Seattle. I don't think either forward for Seattle is consistent enough to make me want to play them. Montero seem to be a bit of a prima dona, and Eddie Johnson will stand around after losing the ball, he doesn't create anything for himself. He applies zero defensive pressure.

I'd take any of our forwards over these two.

16. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really ? nobody is gonna say anything about Dawkins ? by the minute 13 he already screw up at least 3 possetions...to me, a trafic cone will be more usefull in the field than Dawkins :mad:
    I'm surprised of why not only he is part of the starting 11, but als is keep the entire game.
    Simon Dawkins :the Scott Sealy of 2012

Beerking and mjlee22 repped this.
  17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The worst game this season. Worse than Chivas. We were actually playing so well for about 20 minutes. Could not finish anything, but the pressure was on. Then Wondo missed that pk, and all the air went out of the tires. We were playing scared for the next, well, almost an hour. Couldn't string together more than a couple of passes, kept doing stupid things near the goal, made the Crew...the CREW! look dangerous way too often.

Wondo has just been bad the last few games. He hustles, for sure -- he's back on defense when we need a defender -- but that sure touch is gone. He gets the ball, thinks about it for a long moment, and the opportunity vanishes.

We saw our 2011 team playing tonight. Maybe when we get our injured guys back, we'll revert to our winning ways, but these long stretches of game -- where we just watch the team miss chance after chance -- with the final result a tie. Depressing.

Via_Chicago repped this.
  18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    His play is not as grim as that of Scott "there's only one!" Sealy. But for every great move -- and he did have a few -- there is at least one and often two or three bad ones.

Beerking repped this.
  19. drewb

drewb Member

Jul 11, 2001
    S'vale
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our problems are still in the midfield. The biggest disappointment in the game was the wing play of Baca and Dawkins, followed by both Stephenson / Moreno at attacking mid. You can notice this when you think about how little play Beta and Corrales got on overlaps into the corners.

We're missing Chavez not only for the quality chances he created, and not only for the chaos he brought on opposing defenses, but also for the ball winning he did on the flank. He would either win the ball or force a hurried pass from the opposition.

Garza is showing promise, but we haven't seen him for a full 90, or while the other team isn't content to bunker. Love to see what he could do with a little open field in front of him.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That goalie for the Crew had a career game, and yet our guys managed to finally put one past him, and his bunkering teammates, in the 90th minute. The Quakes showed heart in the face of adversity.

markmcf8, QuietType and nihon2000 repped this.
  21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's getting really frustrating watching Dawkins. Slow, dribbles too much, loses the ball, can't jump. And maybe this is not his fault, but tonight he kept passing into spaces where he expected guys to be without first looking to see if they were there. We thought that Garza and Moreno together triggered a spark. Moreno brought in better passing,and garza brought in speed that opened up the field, even tho his ball skill is not up to par yet.

But we were concerned throughout the game that it looked so much like a replay of last week. The team's confidence is seeping away.

Beerking repped this.
  22. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought Moreno looked very good, save for that one bad pass on the 3v2

23. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just saw the highlights

and Wondo, I love you. but damn, that was an awful attempt. Honestly, maybe someone else should take the PK's....even when Wondo scores them, they often aren't great shots.

ant0n and QuietType repped this.
  24. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Please describe the wasteful play Lenhart made with his feet. Perhaps I missed it.

25. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every time he had the ball at his feet around the box. Guess you did miss it.