San Diego

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by kasai, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think the Sockers were around last year, in the no-defunct CISL. The league merged with another league, and no they're gonna be playing under some weird rules. They have 3-point goals like in basketball. So, I'm not sure how entertaining it's gonna be.

2. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I gave up on indoor soccer 10 years ago. I hope to see the return of the outdoor sockers one day.

3. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm with you. After WC 94 I've been an outdoor fan only, but I occasionally read news about indoor. There's a reason that I have the old SD Sockers logo instead of their new.

4. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh I forgot to say, if SD ever does get an MLS team, it should most definitely be called the Sockers. The Sockers name is just as important as the Cosmos if not more. At one time a few years back they were the winningest (is that a word?) professional team in all of American sports. There's a lot of history, and hopefully MLS will do the right thing and buy the rights to the name.

5. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    A lot of people in San Diego associate soccer in SD with the Sockers' so if at all possible the team should keep the name.

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to a game last year. It was pretty bad. Will probably attend a game or two this year just 'cause I'll be desperate to see any kind of soccer live.

btw, haven't heard back from Chula Vista. At least I don't think I have. I get so much junk mail on my computer that it's possible I deleted it accidentally. I hope not.

Anyone else write?

Why not?

I heard today on the radio Mayor Horton is giving her State of the City address tonight. Or gave it last night. Not sure which.

She probably won't mention the importance of building a SSS and bringing a MLS team to Chula Vista.

ps. The Sockers name could be quite expensive. Not sure if MLS would "waste" the money if they ever got the chance.

Let's hope they face tha dilemma one day, however.

7. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Would it be wasting money?

As mentioned above, the people of San Diego associate soccer with the Sockers. It's a great name, and it has a lot of history. Heck, let's bring in Ron Newman to coach the team. (It's a dream I know, but he has MLS experience). Actually to think about it, doesn't Brian Quinn also have MLS coaching experience. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think the Sockers name would be well worth it for MLS if they chose to put a team in SD.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't we all. :)

btw, that's why I put "waste" in quotes. It would basically just be an investment. Whether MLS would make that investment, who knows.

9. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did the name "Sockers" come from? I don't get how it's historical!

10. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here's a link to the history of the Sockers:
    http://www.sockers.com/team/alumni/history.html

There have been few teams in the history of soccer in the United States to have had such a profound impact on the sport. In fact, only two teams come to mind: the New York Cosmos, and the San Diego Sockers. Although the Cosmos had some of the finest players to ever grace the U.S. soil -- players like Franz Beckenbauer, Roberto Cabañas, Giorgio Chinaglia, Julio Cesar Romero, Carlos Alberto and the great Pelé -- no team has come close to the ten, that's right, count 'em, t-e-n time indoor soccer champion San Diego Sockers.

There's been quite a few names to come out of the glory days of the Sockers:

Ron Newman - former coach of KC Wizards
    Brain Quinn - Former coach of San Jose Clash (I think) and national team player in the dark ages of soccer
    Kevin Crow - former coach of the SD Spirit
    Paul Dougherty - Player in the MLS for a few years
    Clavijo - Former coach of New England Revolution

And I'm sure there's a few names that I'm forgeting. But anyway, the point is that the Sockers were THE soccer team in the United States during the 80's and early 90's. I remember going to playoff games with the Sports Arena sold out with 12,000 people. Some MLS teams have trouble doing that now days. There's a lot of history in the Sockers name, and this is why any outdoor team should be named Sockers.

11. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Yes the Sockers have a proud history in San Diego. Flashman Brian Quinn was the coach in San Jose you are correct and Ron Newman left San Diego to become coach of the KC Wizards. I think many in San Diego associate the Sockers with indoor soccer, but it would be great for them to return to the outdoor game.

One thougt for the future is what happens if the Chargers really get their own stadium? Will the Q be demolished? I know it is not the atmosphere that MLS wants, but imagine playing friendlies there against Mexican teams and the type fo crowd an MLS team would draw there for July 4th games. I think it is almost impossible right now to build a stadium in San Diego County with public money. The majority if not all the money would have to come from the private sector.

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly for San Diego it would be impossible to get public funds. Even land would be well nigh impossible.

That's why we need a sugar daddy. I don't reallly know the "20 richest men or women in San Diego", and more particularly, those that have a passion for soccer. We should probably do a google search.

As far as public funds go, this is why I think Chula Vista is our only shot. It is a growing city with a growing tax base, and it was willing to shell out big funds a few years back for the Pads. I don't think they're interested in a SSS or MLS, but it would be our best shot.

John Moores is one possibility. Qualcomm is another though the Jacobs are more interested in philanthropy and the arts than soccer. Who else? Anyone know a lot of La Jollans? There are a lot of rich Mexicans who live there who might want to be an I/O of a footie team.

Yea, riiiiggghhhhtttt.

*sigh*

13. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    John Moores is in big trouble with Peregrine, so don't look to him. I think Mexico is a good place to look for a potential owner of a club in SD. There are plenty of rich Mexicans down south and in TJ. Mexicans also love soccer, so that is a big plus.

Right now the US economy and the economy of SD are shakey. I think the Chargers have a better chance of getting a stadium getting a SSS anywhere in SD county. If we already had a club, I could see a SSS being on the horizon for all the cities of SD county.

14. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if the Chargers leave the Q..could tehy remodel it to be come a SSS? That would be cool I guess.

15. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I think the size of the Q's field is good for soccer. I also believe that the stadium could be reconfigured for soccer attendance, but it would not have the feeling of a new stadium. I think if the Chargers get their own stadium or leave SD, MLS would be crazy not to look at SD as a potential market considering a decent stadium situation and a soccer friendly town.

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree! Back in '99 they said they would love to come here (as I've said 100 times hehe.) I just hope that they still want to come here!

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, they don't.

Without a miracle, we're forever doomed.

19. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yup once Logan left and Garber took over, I think our chances of getting a team in SD went to about .01%. :(

20. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Well I think we have more of a chance than you think. If MLS is truely going to 16 teams eventually, they will have to look at SD seriously. We have the economy to support a team and the only thing lacking may be a SSS, but we will have a decent stadium (The Q) which will be able to support soccer and has a good soccer tradition.

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing we don't have and is a must is any kind of a grass roots movement to bring MLS to San Diego, particularly among civic leaders, which would be essential in acquiring a team.

What we have is four nonothings :eek: dreaming of a local franchise, and a bunch of soccer moms and youth leagues and MFL-loving Hispanics. Not much else I'm afraid.

Heck, we couldn't even support an A-League team. That's another strike against us unfortunately.

22. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quit raining on our parade!! ;)

True, but we can support a WUSA team and sort of support the Sockers. Plus there's more to supporting a team than fans. The Flash didn't really market themselves that well, and got close to zero media. I think an MLS team would at least be able to make the front page of the Sports section in the UT and hopefully would be taken seriously enough for the nightly news. I'm really convinced that the media plays a big role in attendance. Look at DC, the Post does an excellent job of covering the sport and they get large crowds even with losing seasons. And heck a few double headers with any of these teams and there'd be a huge boost in attendance figures: Chivas, America, Mexico, and the US. Anyway, reality has to start with a dream, so let's keep on dreaming.

23. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the UT had a few articles about the Sockers on the opening weekend and they were also talked about on NBC. They even showed clips of the goals both teams made. That's saying something cause NBC doesn't support soccer that much. I'm sure if they had a TV deal (the MISL) then our news stations would have much more coverage. Or even a MLS team! ;)

24. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Nice thing for us is TJ does not have a first division MFL team and they have always sucked. Not to say that people from TJ would support a San Diego soccer team, but I know some would. I think MLS has to look at the overall picture in markets like San Diego. They can't just move into markets like Oklahoma city or Tulsa, they will need to move into cities which have corporate money and a tradition for soccer. Remember MLS could make a lot of money playing exhibitions in san diego. Right now all those exihibitions are put on by other soccer organizations.

25. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually, my understanding is that Nacional Tijuana is in 1st place right now, and might be in position to get promoted to the first division. I'm a lurker in the Mexico forums and found this thread about the team in TJ.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14511

And here's the table posted by Nacional TJ:

Grupo Cuatro
    Equipos JJ JG JE JP GF GC Puntos
    Nacional Tijuana 9 4 4 1 22 16 16
    Correcaminos 9 2 3 1 11 10 12
    Cihuatlán 9 2 4 3 17 19 10
    A. Mexiquense 9 2 3 4 10 12 9
    Tigrillos 9 1 5 3 12 17 8