San Diego Women's Football Club Thread [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by Tsunami, May 6, 2004.

1. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SDWFC Site

30 April 2004 roster

Gina Archimede, UCSB grad
    Ashley Berman, Harvard grad?
    Christy Callier, USC grad
    Danica Carey, Nebraska grad
    Heidi Clauss, Westmont grad
    Rocio Cobian, SD High
    Fay DeLeon, SDSU grad
    Amanda Equivel, Preuss High
    Juivana Hernandez,???
    Amanda Lehr, Duke grad
    Isela Medina, Preuss High
    Aurora Quiroz, Preuss High
    Christine Sanford, Azusa Pacific grad
    Maria Scheirman, Portland grad
    Lorena Snyder, SDSU grad
    Erica Strey, Wisconsin grad
    Karin Sullivan, Westmont grad
    Kristi Sullivan, Westmont grad
    Michele Wagner, SDSU grad
    Heidi Willis, Christian Heritage grad

The roster at the SDWFC site only listed schools for 14 of the players, so I’ve tried to find out what I could through various sources.

Certainly, there aren’t any ‘name’ players on this roster. And there seems be only a handful of players back from last season. Both Kristi and Karen Sullivan have been NAIA Players of the Year. There are 4 known high school players, possibly a 5th, Hernandez. (I hadn't heard of Preuss School before, but it is associated with UCSD.)

Only 5 are listed as defenders, 4 as midfielders, 4 as forwards, 2 as keepers. Berman and the highschoolers did not have positions listed.

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game 1, 02 May 2004 at Las Vegas [R]

[result] 1-0 loss to Las Vegas [/result]

Hmmm, the first game report leaves something to be desired. Players are listed as being there, but there is nothing to indicate who started (yes, I know that with the WPSL sub rules say that players can pop in and out, but “it’s the principle of the thing”). And since the temperature was somewhere in the high 80s that day, I'm sure that there was "a whole lotta subbin' goin' on!" :D

No refs or assistants are listed, and there is a discrepancy in the stats as far as SOGs and goals are concerned. With the SDWFC getting twice as many SOGs and CKs, it appears that they had the better of the run of play.

The Tabagators have a very distinctive UNLV flavor. I wonder if any of the other 1st year teams in the WPSL or W-League are as heavily loaded with players from one school?

The 4 SDWFC players on the 4-30-04 roster who were not listed on the game report: Archimede, Berman, Clauss, and DeLeon.

I hope to be able to attend and give reports on most home games...

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoover High Campus

While the SDWFC site has a link to an MSN map and directions, it doesn't actually show where the stadium is. It is at the back of the campus, as indicated at this link:

Hoover High Campus

4. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Re: San Diego Women's Football Club Thread

Thanks for posting this roster information Tsunami. It is disappointing that so far the SDWFC has been unable to add any former WUSA players to their roster, but according to my sources that could change very soon.

I'm also planning on attending most of the home games at Hoover High and hope that other WUSA fans in the area will do the same and help support the top women's soccer team in San Diego County.

Here's the link the team's official website:

Official SDWFC Website

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Re: Hoover High Campus

To get to Hoover Stadium you want to turn down Highland Ave. and then park on the street as close as you can to the entrance for the South Bleachers. You definitely don't want to do what I did my first time there and park in the front parking lot and then wander aimlessly around campus for 15 minutes. ;)

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

I would be very interested in getting more information about these four players. I believe that Danica Carey played with Christine Latham and Karina LeBlanc when she was at Nebraska and that she may have also played with Mandy Clemens at USDHS.

7. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada

re: Danica ... recalling from the top of my head, she played more in the isabelle morneau/sharolta nonen/amy walsh period for the Huskers (a few years ahead of Latham). Good to see her still at it!

8. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, thanks for that link! I didn't know that the team had one separate from the one that the WPSL seems to maintain..

9. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Danica Carey Leaving For Russia

It looks like Danica won't be with the SD WFC much longer:

[url='http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/04/sports/soccer/04soccer.html]Exposure Limited for Women[/url]

10. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    More On Danica Carey

It looks like Danica did in fact play with both KK & Latham at Nebraska:

#2 Nebraska 4, Richmond 0
    2001 Texas A&M Soccer

11. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    AJAX - San Diego WFC Result

The WPSL site just added yesterday's result to their site and the SD WFC has unfortunately lost their second straight match on the road by a single goal, 2-1 to AJAX of Southern California. No details of the match were posted, but I'll add what information I can next week after I get a chance to talk to some of the team officials and players.

12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Too bad about the loss, but then Ajax has a number of names that I recognize from either the WUSA or their college days - Traci Gatell (Arkenberg) chief among them.

Also too bad is the fact that most of the former Spirit players have moved out of the area, or are just feel that it's time to get on with the rest of their lives.

I noticed this morning that the SDWFC roster now has another player listed on it, but I haven't been able to find any info on her: Briana Betshart.

13. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada

Don't forget Isabelle Harvey, my fave player in the WPSL! lol .. haha, I believe she should be with the Ajax again this year.

I think the WPSL will have the "game reports" (which are practically nothing, from the ones they did last year) up at their site every Monday afternoon PT time ... I think teams have to send in the info by a certain time on Monday because I remember always checking for it late Monday afternoon for me and they would have it up last season.

Elaine

14. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ooops! Didn't mean to slight Isabelle, she is listed on their roster...

According to the League Bylaws (B6), the home team has until noon Monday to get the report to the league office.

On another topic, I'm surprised that the team doesn't have any representation from USD. Before this years roster finally went up, I remember Val Strocco being listed on the old one. There might have been others. I think that the Toreras have had the strongest group of college players in the area the last few years, so it would certainly strenghten the team to have some of them on it. I'd also like to see someone from the UCSD team play!

15. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Erica Strey

So it looks like at least one of the players on the current SDWFC roster was briefly a member of the Spirit:

Head Coach Juarez adds Strey from San Diego WFC

16. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The WFC will have a chance to avenge their first loss to Las Vegas, and since they now have some practice and game time as a team under their belts, they should improve on a result where they outplayed the other team but did not manage to get any goals. And a 11am start seems about right for a Sunday in 'sunny' San Diego.

17. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Home Opener for San Diego WFC

The Tabagators will not only be on the road for the first time this season, but they also had to play against the very tough club AJAX of Southern California today at Nansen Field so some of their players could be a bit tired when they take the field tomorrow at Hoover High School against the SD WFC.

It would be great to see a good crowd show up tomorrow morning to support the top women's soccer club in San Diego County. I have talked to several Spirit fans who plan on attending the home opener and hopefully Mark Zeigler's mention about the match on last Wednesday's "GOAL!" page in the SD Union-Tribune has also helped to get the word out that women's soccer is still alive and well in San Diego. :cool:

18. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Allie Sullivan was on 'Inside Soccer' earlier this hour, and it sounded like she would likely be at the game tomorrow as a spectator. Hopefully that is a sign of better things to come!

19. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

I was very happy to hear that Allie could be joining the SD WFC in the very near future. :cool: Hopefully some of the other former WUSA players living in the San Diego area like Melissa Moore and Mandy Clemens will consider joining the club as well.

20. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Las Vegas loses big to AJAX

The Tabagators lost to AJAX today 8-0 :eek: so along with being a bit tired they might also be somewhat demoralized after losing so bad in their first road match. If the SD WFC can find the back of the net early, it could real ugly real fast for Las Vegas.

21. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16 May Game versus Las Vegas [R]

Of course, the most important news from the game was what was mentioned in the program about player signings (see the forum thread on signings for that).

San Diego won a hard fought game 1-0. While they had a lot more chances to score, I cannot say that they completely out-played the Tabagators. It will be interesting to see how many SOGs the two teams were credited with, they will probably be more one-sided than the first game.

The visitors had only 1 substitute at the start of the game and they had a player go down with an ankle problem just before halftime. They played good positional defense and I was impressed with both their goalkeeper and their one forward, #19 (although there was a 1 sheet program with rosters, they gave names but not numbers.) They did not have possession of the ball much, but did get a few dangerous looking plays that easily could have resulted in goals.

San Diego, on the other hand, did have most of the possession and did have a lot of chances to score. Their one goal came on a PK after #11 was taken down in the box on a play where the defender got beat but should have let things go, as the ball was going to go over the end line anyway. The LV keeper had to make a lot of saves and had to cut off a lot of crosses. She was helped out by poor shot execution by the home team on a number of occasions, though. The two players that impressed me the most for SD were that #11 (Esquivel?) and #7 Michelle Wagner.

Two players who showed up on the roster for the first time were Tami Callison, listed as a defender from Evansville; and Lisette Martinez, a mid-fielder from SDSU.

22. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Las Vegas loses big to AJAX

The way that Las Vegas played today, it is a tribute to the recovery power of youth (or their coach pulled 'a Germany' and played one set of players at Ajax and another down here!) They didn't have the height, strength, or experience of the home team, but seemed to be the faster of the two teams - and they played good positional ball on offense and defense.

23. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

Margaret Teitjen just signed with SDWFC. I have heard that Melissa Moore signed also

24. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I need to apologize for missing the addition of a third player to the roster - Noelle Jouglet, another SDSU defender.

And here is a link to Allie Sullivan's interview on the internet-radio show on Saturday...

5-15-04 Inside Soccer

25. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    22 May Match vs. Denver Diamonds [R]

The SD WFC suffered a tough 4-1 loss in Denver this evening. According to goalkeeper & GM, Lu Snyder, Denver appeared to have benefitted from a blown offside call when they scored their first goal and some of the WFC players were still arguing the call when the Diamonds scored their second goal. Denver's lead was cut in half when Christine Sanford scored her first goal of the season, but in the end the high altitude proved to be too much for San Diego as the WFC players tired in the second half and gave up two more goals. The SD WFC finish their long weekend in Denver tomorrow when they play the Denver Kickers at 3 PM.