San Diego sued over Surf overuse of polo fields by neighbors

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by espola, May 8, 2023.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I see both sides. Probably very annoying to the neighbors to deal with all the traffic and noise and pollution from all those tournaments. Surf seems to be all about making money. But then again, we, the consumers, partake in it.
    I do wish the big tournaments were held in more affordable places. Hotel rates can get expensive.

2. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    I’m local. My perspective is, meh, get over it.

The SD Fair and Del Mar Racetrack are also right there and cause WAY more traffic than soccer tournaments.

3. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    Not really sure this is on topic, but I don’t love “Stay to play”. IMO, a team should be able to stay wherever it wants.

Pete. and Fuegofan repped this.
  4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The Fair and racetrack are on the other side of the I5 Freeway, about a mike and a half west. although they have used the Surf Sports parking lot in the past for overflow parking, with shuttle buses connecting to the fairgrounds.

As for "getting over it", Surf Sports is now interpreting their lease as allowing events 25 times a year, or about every other weekend.

5. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Surf Cup is notorious for it, which accounts for the strong political support ($$$) from the local hotel industry.

6. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    I will expand my examples. I’d say there is actually less traffic during big tournaments than normal traffic on Via de la Valle around 4pm M-F.