San Diego MLS Fans, Showing Support in the Interim

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by athletics68, Jan 31, 2017.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured I'd post this here as well despite there also being an SD NASL Expansion thread since there might be some here who hadn't seen it.

https://www.soccernation.com/episode-19-peter-wilt-nasl-san-diego/

Gist of it is, Peter Wilt is working with the Demba Ba group to bring NASL to San Diego in 2018. They're looking at either Torero Stadium or what seems like their more likely and preferred option of putting a modular stadium in North County somewhere. Which would give San Diego fans something to rally around if we're not selected for MLS 25 or 26.

Threeke repped this.
  2. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    True. Plus I think there's a conversation to be had with regards to the whole lower level soccer being an incubator for MLS support at the top end. If this team kicks off in 2018 and does decently, do we drop it in 2020 when our MLS team kicks off? - (assuming all these expansion bids take off)

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I would. But then my ultimate desire is an MLS team. Any support I give for an NASL team would be conditioned on a USL or MLS team not being in town yet (as well as presumably closer to where I live in SD proper). A north county NASL team only holds appeal to me in the absence of any viable alternative and as a rallying point in support of an MLS bid.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we've got a couple of opportunities for good showings to the soccer world this summer in San Diego.

July 9th - TBD Mexico v El Salvador at Jack Murphy Stadium (CONCACAF Gold Cup)
    July 9th - TBD Curacao v Jamaica at Jack Murphy Stadium (CONCACAF Gold Cup)
    July 30th 2:15pm - Japan WNT v Australia WNT at Jack Murphy Stadium (Tournament of Nations)
    July 30th 5pm - USWNT v Brazil at Jack Murphy Stadium (Tournament of Nations)

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1904 FC
    @1904_FC
    San Diego Football at it’s finest. Grateful to return to the pitch Always happy to put in the work
    Preseason game 1904 FC @San Diego Loyal
    Sunday, March 28

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's weird to think a couple of years ago we had to eek out ways to show support. Now it's easy with the Loyal and coming NWSL team to show how much SD loves soccer.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping it's a sellout on Saturday

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've definitely improved of late. The last 4 games should really have netted 3 wins but overall it's hard to complain.

9. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe none of this was true back at the time of the post, but I read they cancelled the tournament of nations, plus, the stadium is in some state of dismantling.

Would love to see the WNT back here somewhere. It's beern '10 since I've seen them because other things come up. :(

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the Tournament of Nations is gone. As is Qualcomm Stadium. It's been dust for 4 months now. On the flip side the new stadium for the Aztecs which will hold 35,000 is well into construction and looks on track to open in Fall of 2022.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good and quick. Maybe at least some WNT and MNT friendlies. Would love to see a D1 or D2 College Cup down here, too. Etc., etc. We could really become a "Soccer City".

athletics68 repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999