San Diego Galaxy

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Various Styles, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Reading todays La Opinion Newspaper i found this Gem on the Galaxy.
    --Sin embargo, el Grupo Anschutz (AEG), propietario de cinco equipos en la liga estadounidense ha sido frontal:
    “Si es necesario, vendo al Galaxy para traer a Chivas [USA]”,
    le lanzó a Jorge Vergara, propietario del equipo Guadalajara.--

Translation : Uncle Phil to Club Guadalajara owner Jorge Vergara " If Necessary ill sell the Galaxy to bring Chivas to Los Angeles" Hot Damn i guess your tag line is true after all.. Seems like Uncle Phil wants Chivas in L.A so that they can play in the HDC, Vergara wants Chivas USA to play in the L.A Coliseum and the MLS wants Chivas in San Diego at Qualcom..

Discuss :) :)

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There would be two teams in LA before they'd move the Galaxy to San Diego.
    That won't happen. It wasn't suggested anyway.

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Agreed, but it still sucks that your teams owner is willing to sell the Galaxy in order to House Chivas at the HDC, i thought attendance has been good ?

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And another thing.
    Why would MLS want to move it's currently most successful franchise in gate receipts (by far with the ticket prices) and it's shinning example for potential investors on a "gamble" with Chivas?
    They won't even move San Jose.. :)

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't really know how much credence can be put in that quote.

6. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: San Diego Galaxy

Sounds like he was joking :)

I wonder if the MLS would allow two teams in L.A [​IMG]

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: San Diego Galaxy

That has been under discussion.
    For one thing, if he did come here, there would be compensation paid by Chivas to the Galaxy for infringing on their area.
    The Rose Bowl, Coliseum and HDC have all been discussed.
    However, the San Diego option for Chivas has still received the most press as the most likely option with Houston right after it and now not likely until 2005.
    The LA option has kinda been more "tight lipped".

8. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Re: Re: San Diego Galaxy

Originally posted by Wolves_67

The LA option has kinda been more "tight lipped".

Chivas [USA] best Option is L.A. This is where the majority of its supporters outside of Mexico Reside. It is also where Chivas plays its majority of friendly games. At the L.A Coliseum we have seen Chivas v.s. Napoli, Palmeiras, River Plate, Boca Jr's ect.. It doesnt make sense to bring the Chivas franchise and have it San Diego or Houston. Also the "infringing" on Galaxys area excuse is lame..

9. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Chicago Chivas, Cicero Chivas, Chicago Fuego?

Here are a few tidbits from an interesting article in Spanish that I came across back in September:

For the full article go here:

http://www.mural.com/negocios/articulo/300505/

Planea Vergara fábrica en EU

Por Alejandro Castañeda
    Mural

Guadalajara, México (15 septiembre 2003).- Con una inversión de 10 millones de dólares, el empresario Jorge Vergara pretende establecer la primera planta de producción Omnilife en Estados Unidos, así como un centro de distribución para la Costa Este....

...El condado de Cicero abarca parte de la zona metropolitana de la ciudad de Chicago; tiene alrededor de 100 mil habitantes, de los cuales el 80 por ciento son mexicanos, según estimaciones de la Alcaldía de Cicero....

...Otro de los proyectos de Omnilife en Cicero consiste en instalar una escuela Educare y un club Chivas de futbol, aunque no hay nada concreto.

English translation:

Vergara plans factory in United States

With an investment of 10 million dollars, the industralist Jorge Vergara tries to settle down the first plant of Omnilife production in the United States, as well as a center of distribution for the East Coast.

The county of Cicero includes part of the metropolitan zone of the city of Chicago; it has around 100 thousand inhabitants, of who the 80 percent is Mexican, according to estimations of the Mayorship of Cicero.

Another one of the projects of Omnilife in Cicero consists of installing a school educate and a club Chivas de futbol, although there is nothing no concrete.

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure do love to stir the pot.

I'll make you a "gentleman's bet" it never happens.

BTW: Have you been out to Victoria Street for a game yet? What do you think of it?

Tell you what I do think is possible: If the San Diego stadium deal can't be put into place in time for a 2004 start, Chivas USA might play one season at HDC as a Galaxy tennant, giving Uncle Phil another chance to make money off Chivas. Although after Garber's speech, looks like 2005 is more likely.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh no, It's the Shinning!

[​IMG]

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

12. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this publication notorious for quoting out of context and putting really high value on rumors w/o sources?

13. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Translation : Uncle Phil to Club Guadalajara owner Jorge Vergara " If Necessary ill sell the Galaxy to bring Chivas to Los Angeles"
    Discuss :) :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Now that's just down right silly.

14. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Welcome to the wonderful whacky world of MLS.

15. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001

If you build it, they will come!

16. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only if they don't set the prices too high.

17. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I live in SD and would love to have MLS here, but to be honest the Chivas will draw much bigger if they play in LA even if it is not at the HD Center.

SD's Mexican community is quite a lot different than that in LA. Many here do not identify themselves as Chicanos, rather they think of themselves as Mexican. TJ is right across the border and the interaction between the two sides of the border differentiates San Diego's Mexican community with that of LA's.

I still do not think the Mexican community in SD will fully support the Chivas unless they can have a fully Mexican side.

This is just my opinion. None of the statements here are anywhere near a fact.

18. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No - the new MLS theory:

If you put red & white striped jerseys on the team, they will come.

19. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: San Diego Galaxy

ha ha ha
    good one

Just say "no" to Chivas USA a truly ugly name for a team and "yes" to San Diego Armada!

Very true.

20. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Originally posted by The Cadaver

BTW: Have you been out to Victoria Street for a game yet? What do you think of it?

Indeed, I was there for the Chivas-MLS Allstar game and also Sweeden vs Ghana Womens Worldo Cup match. It is a Nice stadium with all around great view. You can see the action very clearly no matter where you are at.

21. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, they are going to try and have the team made up of Mexican players.

Forget the the nondiscrimination issues, how are they going to have a squad of Mexican players and stay under the salary cap? Most of the players would make more staying in Mexico and playing for lower division teams than they would here with the salary cap restrictions. Or will that be changing too?

22. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team will have to be formed by MLS rules. That has already been made clear.
    However, the Chivas owner is pushing for an increase to 4 sr internationals per team as one change, according to a press report. That might not be too bad with the expansion, and more expansion coming, as there will be more room for Americans to develop with the new teams and a need for a little more foreign talent to help keep the level up (in the opinions of many).

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Is phil really all that involved with any of his soccer concerns? He's always seemed somewhat distant from them, to me.

24. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm glad you made it to the all star game. Sorry I didn't know you were coming - I would have liked to meet you.

BTW: I thought the atmosphere was great for that game. I had guests from England with me, and they had a great time.

25. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let Chivas USA play at the Coliseum. The team and fans might feel more at home there rather than sharing a venue, but I don't mind venue-sharing if they don't have a problem with it. However I don't feel see the Galaxy moving to SD anytime soon. Why would Uncle Phil lose an opportunity to make more money? He should go for two tenants if that opportunity arises.