Sampdoria [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by dor02, Aug 23, 2009.

1. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    That was a shame. He's the heart and soul of that club. He's been with them since they were last in Serie B, so you can imagine how much this broke his heart. I think he'll try to stay with the team and see if he can resurrect them. He's a good captain.

2. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think if Sampdoria get a new President and stay focused... they can get back in the Serie A. Atalanta did after one season in the Serie B. They'll probably have to buy some new young talents...

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think he will stay in a Euro Cup year. I haven't ever seen a Serie B player picked to play for the national team since the Juventus players were picked in 06/07 but they all had just won the world title. Before that, I'm thinking Luca Toni who had scored 30 goals with Palermo and were suddenly promoted to the Serie A in 04/05. Toni was picked in the summer before the season started. I'd be surprised if Palombo stayed around in Serie B.

4. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    you can't reallly blame players for wanting to stay in serie a. palombo gave a lot to this team and he deserves to stay in the top flight. id expect to see poli go for sure, maybe to fiorentina to replace monto?

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    You also can't blame players from wanting to get away from the Garrones. I'm pretty sure the fans would not hold it against Palombo. It also must be said that he had a terrible year, nothing like his performances last year. He himself played badly often, and also failed to raise the level of the team. Not that I am blaming him, it rests squarely on the Garrones, but his departure compared to Cassano's, in terms of Samp's prospects, is like getting a scratch on your fender after having an engine fire.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree, Giancarlo. Sampdoria need a new president.

I don't think he is a realistic option for the NT anyway. He is close to 30 years old and he never has been a regular. Why would he need to move club just so he can warm a bench at a major tornament? Players who do that actually have a good chance to play in a major tornament.

7. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Big Mac was in Serie B when he got a call up

8. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doubt he would go back down to Serie B. More than likely, he would go back to Atalanta or coach another small Serie A team.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Then, if thats the case, he is staying.

11. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i don't think samp would want anything to do with del neri anymore

12. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game today even though it was meaningless because it will probably be the last one I get to see until Samp are promoted again. You could tell the team weren't really in it as after Mannini's goal to open the scoring the whole squad just turned and walked back to line-up for the kick-off with no celebration at all.

I did notice the futility of the front line, however. Pozzi was absolutely invisible and I had to keep searching for the #9 to make sure he was still out there. And Biabiany just looked lost. He was all over the place on the field and seemed to have very little understanding of the game. It also seemed that aside from speed he has no positive attribute to offer (It absolutely disgusts me that he was part of the Pazzini deal). I really hope Samp work to get promoted quickly, but if this is the strike force they start with in Serie B next season I wont expect them back in '11-'12.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last time Sampdoria went to Serie B, it took them 5 years to get back up to the top flight. Hope that doesn't happen again.

1998-99 - 16ª in Serie A, retrocessa in Serie B

1999-00 - 5ª in Serie B

2000-01 - 5ª in Serie B

2001-02 - 10ª in Serie B

2002-03 - 2ª in Serie B, promossa in Serie A

2003-04 - 8ª in Serie A

14. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any early idea who will be coming and going from Sampdoria?

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure if you are interested or if you understand, but did you ever consider the rai international?

I mean they show tons of Serie B matches on Saturdays. Even if you don't understand the language, the games are a lot of fun to watch.

Maybe Montella is going to Sampdoria......

http://www.ilsussidiario.net/News/C...Catania-e-Sampdoria-sull-Aereoplanino/180379/

16. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not surprising. I thought that he had a deal with Lazio in January but it seemed that nothing was written on paper.

He will provide width but he needs to be in an organized defensive structure to play well in defence. He's slightly better than Grosso in terms of a defensive game.

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still can't believe what happened to Samp this season. :eek:

What an incredible crash! Hope you'll be back in 2 years.

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope so too. Unfortunately there are rumours saying that Palombo will go. The new transfer manager has said that he is a "luxury" in Serie B.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I rest my case......

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even if he wants to stay, it looks like the management will cash in. The Garrones are officially calcio's biggest tightarses!

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are now saying Samp might be graced from Serie B if Siena & Atalanta are kicked out because of the scandal.....

http://genova.mentelocale.it/31756-calcioscommesse-la-sampdoria-pensa-alla-serie-b/

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope so.

FORZA DORIA!

24. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Palombo is still stating that he will stay. New coach Gianluca Atzori wants go get Andrea Costa, a Reggina defender. Daniele Cacia is a target too. He is a good Serie B striker but he usually plays well at Piacenza.

25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Although I respect his loyalty, it's going to hurt his national team chances