Salty language

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jeff_adams, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be a bit surprised, but not too much. I myself will slip with a "bastard" and note in the corner of my eye some mother wincing. I've tried to control myself a little bit more this year, at least in the swearing department. Problem is that at my advanced age I'm becoming numb to girls swearing like troopers because I hear it so much. Back in the day, you just would never hear that kind of language from a female. Now, the movies are loaded with it, even the women in the movies use the F word. Still, if I had my druthers, I would prefer that the guys tone it down a bit when they're on the field. After all, whether they may like it or not, sports figures are role models.

2. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    And you hang out with me?!?! j/k

3. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a group waiting in line for the next Ludacris record.

Now, if we could get rappers to sing the praises of MLS, instead of Spike Lee wearing a Brazil shirt and not hearing from him again, we're set.

Haven't heard the Ray Hudson interview with him doing his impression of Deliverance or Johnny Rotten as of yet.

4. markxinger

markxinger Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Gahanna, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever else you do, do not watch "The Osbournes".

5. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    LMAO.....Solid gold, Albany!!!

6. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Yes, I do cringe because my 8-yr old comes with me often. I usually cast a look at the person as if to say, "Hey...do you see there are KIDS here?" (While what I'm thinking is "don't say that sh**!!" but I keep that to myself.)

Jeff, you are SO right though when you say it has become ingrained in our society. As I am writing this on Friday morning, did anyone happen to watch the San Diego State/Fresno State college football game on ESPN2 last night? Fresno won on the last play and as San Diego ran off the field, there was a nice, close-up shot of a whole section of fans screaming and giving the "single finger salute" to the Aztecs as the made their way out. THE WHOLE SECTION!! I don't like it at all but it is SO much a part of the fabric of everyday life, I'm convinced it's better that kids know the words but understand that they are not acceptable. They will inevitably be exposed to it. My daughter constantly tells me she hears songs that have the "A" word or others. I say to her "...but you know that wouldn't be an appropriate thing for YOU to say, right?" She quickly agrees with a look like the idea is gross to her anyway. So long as no one is reporting back to me that my kid is dropping 4-letter bombs anywhere, I feel I've done what I can do.

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with those calling for the players to curb their language a bit. At Spartan, the action is very close to the fans, and four-letter expletives by Manny et al can be heard loud and clear by kids in the stands.

Sure, the heat of the battle evokes strong reaction. But I don't expect a McDonald's cashier to shout an expletive in front of me when he screws up and neither do I expect Manny Lagos to.

While I'm taking offense to some stadium language, let me say that the fans aren't guilt-free, either. I sit near the Casbah, and some of the organized cheers (e.g. "Who's your father?") and many impromptu shouts are certainly not meant for the young ears around me. My wife's a teacher, and she's pointed out a couple of times to serious offenders that there were kids sitting nearby.

8. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Again....i think you can worship a Manny Lagos and still teach your kids that HE chooses to curse and WE do not. You don't have to make cursing out to be so terrible because again, they are just words. It is no more offensive than farting or burping in fact i think cursing is less offensive. I taught my kids not to curse the same way I taught them not to belch or fart......it's rude and unacceptable no matter how funny it is to watch on TV. As a player myself, some of my team-mates bring their young 4-12 yr olds to the games. These kids love me and after a rare potty mouth session with an oposing player one of the kids mentioned that I had said some bad words......I felt totally embarrassed and I haven't done it since......above a whisper anyway. :D

9. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

This kills me.....why is darn any worse than damn? Are m's evil and r's good? Why is bastard any worse than illegitamate? To me, cursing is no worse than bad grammar. You shouldn't let your kid's use either. It doesn't matter what word you use, if you say something mean......it's still mean. To me the word "dude" is offensive and I wish it was eliminated from the english language.

10. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    talk about those fresno freaks having no class! :(

...ciao!

11. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    If I call Brian McBride a "big fat poo-poo head" will that be considered "salty"?

12. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    If you're 4 years old.

13. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    No, but it might get you spit on....no wait, that's Ben Olsen.

14. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    Ben Olsen f#cking rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. clubfoot

clubfoot New Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Oakland, CA
    "************ you Serna" is sweet ************ing poetry to my hears. However, I don't have a kid. I do recall when I was a lad though and my Dad took me to A's/Raiders/Warriors games. Inevitably, someone who'd had a few too many would let loose a profanity-laced tirade. If it was funny, my Dad would laugh and then I would laugh. If it was not funny, my Dad would roll his eyes and then I would roll my eyes. No big deal. I'm with George Carlin. They're just words. They only power they have is the power you give them when you forbid them.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just transferring Saturday's game to tape. Good Old Ray H. in the 32nd minute or so was super-salty. Well, Fox doesn't go a far nationwide as ESPN, so maybe not as many ears were offended.

17. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude :)

18. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Actua;;y, my nephew is five, just turned, and he isnt aloud to call people that, because it has the word "poop" in it. He's in kindergarten now, and he calls people chickie moneks all the time, and ndver gets in troouble....but as soon as he breaks out any names pertaining body parts (Ie: Butt, Face....), or anythign of that sort, he gets in trouble.

19. msknutson

msknutson Member

United States
    Sep 15, 2000
    San Diego, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get Ronnie E to teach them a few words of ...

Danish. It'll allow them to vent and 99.99% of the fans won't understand what they're hearing!

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You allow him to use the phrase "chickie monek?" How fowl can you get? What does it mean? :)

21. drnlm

drnlm New Member

Jun 23, 2002
    I clearly saw McAteer (Sunderland) mouth 'what the f*** is wrong with you!?!' and 'f*** off dickhead' to Roy Keane (Man Utd) after they grappled with each other on TV. hehe :D
    Roy Keane paid him back with a nasty blow to the neck near the end of the game.

22. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While foul language from players as a whole doesn't bother me what I have a real problem with is the fact that it is quite obvious at times that the players are directing their language at referees and getting away with it. It's bad enough that dissent is allowed as much as it is in the league but when you can clearly see or hear a player say to the ref "what kind of f***ing call is that?" that player should be gone. The ref has to take control of a game and if he is letting players talk to him that way it will never happen, the ref loses credibility and will be ineffective for the rest of the game. As to the impact on children, they not only hear the language but see that it's OK to direct that language at figures of authority. I agree it's up to us as parents to teach our children what's right and wrong, but when they see that kind of activity it doesn't make the job any easier.

23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Oh my God! You might not be aware that this phrase is eastern mongolian for the word s***head!
    It's pronounced "chickiemonek" running both words together and is usually followed by a sword fight.:D:

24. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Actuall, it is supposed to be Chickie Monkey. Sorry, me and my typos.

My uncle started it I think....and now my nephew feels it is the best phrase known to man!

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the term was supposed be cheeky monkey?!! :confused: