Salty language

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jeff_adams, Aug 29, 2002.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Curious if any other Quake fans are embarrassed by the profanity that the players have been screaming lately. Manny Lagos was yelling the F-word across the field at the ref repeatedly. I've heard Landon and most of the other guys doing the same thing. I found myself looking around self consciously at all the little kids in the last home game against DC whenever I heard it. What are they thinking? Is it ok to say those things when you're mad?

I'm not a prude, but I think someone has to tell them to tone it down. It was coming across clearly on national TV the last two weeks several times. I bet ESPN wasn't happy about it.

2. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Chrissy and I often count how many players we can catch saying the f-word when we watch games...though we can't hear it (cuz its tv), but u can definately make out the words!

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I must just tune that out. But in general it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when I hear college kids talking like this, "I f-in went to the f-in store to get some f-in food. And there was this f-in fine f-in girl working there." I work at a university and hear this on a daily basis. So maybe I've learned to tune out the swear words. Hearing it a few times from players when they get upset, doesn't seem to bother me. It's when it's used every other word in a sentence that gets to me.

What I'm more concerned about is what this increase in swearing could mean. Increased frustation on the team? And why?

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It happens in all sports and the Quake's aren't the worst. It's just that we've gotten louder and louder lately. Not just the F-word, but everything else. It's tough when you're in the heat of the battle, but somehow you have to register that you are an example for young, impressionable kids. Do you think Manny Lagos would want his kids to talk like that? I'm not just picking on Manny, it's coming out of pretty much everyone's mouth.......

5. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I use more F-words on my drive home than they use during the game......combined, here is an example:

LDB: Honey, Why the F is every F-ing beer you bring me during the F-ing game always F-ing warm??? HUH?? And why the F are they always F-ing half empty??? And what the F takes you so F-ing long to get them anyway??? And no more F-ing "I wanna shower with Bower" chants during the F-ing warmups. He's an F-ing IR scrub, and stay the F off of Graziani's F-ing jock too.

Mrs. LDB: F U

:D

6. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    it doesn't bother me at all because i tend to shout out profanities myself whenever i'm on the field playing and things aren't going my way....but when children are present, i keep it to myself.

these players ought to set a good example and keep their cool. sadly, my six-year old nephew is starting to believe cursing is a decent, normal way to let emotions out...

...ciao!

7. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    Ditto. Sometimes I swear so loud the ref comes up to me and tells me to quiet down. However, there was this one ref my team had who said, "If you can't say it in church, don't say it here." Oh, right like he knows what emotion is...

8. SingWhenYourWinning

SingWhenYourWinning New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Bay Area
    I have noticed that the players curse a lot on the field and I personally have no problem with it, but I do see where you're coming from when it comes to kids at the games. I swear on occasion, but I definitely try to watch my mouth at games when kids are around, and the Quakes probably should too. I guess when they're caught up in the moment they can't really help it, whether they want to or not. It also gets hard when cussing is just a part of your vocabulary. Some players probably curse just as much off the field so it becomes a habit that's hard to break. In my opinion I don't think telling the players to tone down the language would work very well, because most of the time, it just slips out.

9. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I say that if a little kid starts cussing because they saw a player do it, then that's the point where the parent needs to step in and teach their kids what words are and aren' acceptable to be saying.

10. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's part of the game. The refs can do little, if nothing, to control the language of the players. It's up to the players themselves.

The only way is to have the refs control the salty language but that's better said than done.

You can be concerned with the kids and the like but with a large number of people in attendance it can't be enforced at that level.

It's even more fun when those words get on ESPN unbleeped and uncensored!

11. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nap wrote
    >>The refs can do little, if nothing, to control the language of the players.<<

i've never actually known if that was the case or not. i got tossed from a game for the f-meister once. we'd just scored a goal, and the hot-headed striker i was marking was taking runs at our players for the next five minutes...soon, it was my turn: i got the ball, and he ran up and cracked me across the ankles from behind. i got up, patted him on the head, and said "nice f-ing play." the ref red carded me, for calling another player "a f-ing a$$hole," which i didn't do, of course.
    ????
    oh well...i'd hate to see swearing banned from MLS players, though: it's a badge of honor for a fan to get an opposing player to swear at him/her!
    :) ...especially if they play for the galaxy...
    rfsp
    quakes and QPR

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I don't see a f***ing thing wrong with players in the heat of the moment expressing themselves with a choice f***ing expletive. #@$$%#@!!!!!!!!!!!

13. quakes4me247

quakes4me247 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    I live in Lard(Mante
    Amen!

14. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    It was pretty funny during the DC game on ESPN2 when they were cussing. It's completely one of those things where the parents of the kids needs to teach them it's not right because ANY sporting event wouldn't be the same without it. I probably cuss more watching the game than the players do playing the game...

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Swearing is God's ************ing gift to ************ing humanity.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mannie was coming across loud and clear on ESPN.
    Those plastic dish mikes they've got can pick up just about anything.
    These guys are starting to sound like every movie except the ones rated G.
    The Laws of the Game allow a referee to card anyone (and it can be red) for foul and abusive language.
    Last season a girl from the opposing team, right in front of the ref, let out with a big "F--k!" and she got the red. I wonder if (I doubt that) an MLS referee would toss a player like that?

17. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my son's last tournament, a kid from the team we were playing got red carded out of the game for using an "expletive" to "express" his emotions.

So there is a bit of a double standard message that is being sent to kids, especially adolescents, when they see their fav players mouthing off with no consequence, but the kid gets carded out of a game.

Gives adolescents/teen-agers more ammo when calling adults, and rightfully so, hypocrites.

18. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    is it really fair to get red carded for crisp-cussing? nowadays, the way i see it, it's impartial to the cusser since it's becoming too common...

...ciao!

19. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

I'm not passing judgement on any person, young or old(er), for using foul language, but times sure have changed from when I was a kid (cursing, in my opinion, is the least troublesome of the changes). If I ever used such language within earshot of any adult, there would have been consequences. I think it's a respect thing.

20. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    It's like this, It's one of many manners we need to teach our kids. Like talking with your mouth full or picking your nose(Landon) or not interrupting. If your kid cusses because Manny did, then you aren't doing your job. Your kids should be raised to represent your family the way that you think is best, not the way that Manny or Landon represent their anger or frustration on the field. It's not Manny's fault or any other players. They are just words, don't make them anymore important than they should be.

If Manny jumps off the Golden Gate Bridge would you??? :D

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that parents have an obligation to teach their children what is right and what is wrong.

But it does not help the parents any when their kids see these adults who are larger than life to them do things like curse. Or even worse yet, spit on someone.

A parent can tell their kids what is right and wrong. And show their kids through their own actions. But kids are impressionable minds, and they are greatly influenced by what they see around them. A parent can only do so much.

What exactly is it that a parent says to a kid? "John, I know Landon Donovan (who is larger than life and seems to be like superman to you) just swore, but that's not acceptable behavior for you?" Or simply, "I better never hear stuff like that coming out of your mouth." I mean, what exactly is it that you can say? Did your parents "lessons" on cursing work on any of you?

Note: I simply chose Landon cuz he is truly larger than life to alot of kids.

22. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I think we've found our pre-game show to fire up the crowd the next time ESPN is in town. Wonder what LDB would have to say to Veronica????

23. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'm wih Jeff on this one. LBD, you're right, if my kid is cussing in a game like manny did, then I'm not doing my job. So how do I teach my kids that using the F-word isn't appropriate? Sure, I can say 'I don't want to ever hear you say what Manny just did.' (And I do.) But at some point that's pretty ineffective if my kid sees me applauding Manny week after week, hears those words at the movies I watch with them, and hears them from my friends mouths. Pretty soon, they will conclude that 'Dad says not to say those words, but he obviously doesn't mean it.'

So to do 'my job', I have to say 'No, we can't watch that movie because they use bad words', and 'no, we can't support MLS soccer because they use bad words too much', and 'please don't use words like that in front of my children'. Then the message is clear and consistant and I've done my job to the best of my ability.

I really don't want to have to get to that point. I think soccer can be a really good influence on my kids. It'd be a shame to ruin that because MLS players can't find a suitable substitute to express their emotion (after all, they're only words, right?).

24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    :)

First of all, I love these boards. You guys and girls are the BEST! I fully expected to get attacked just for bringing up the topic. Instead, I see reasonable discussion about a "hot button" issue. This happens to be one of those things where you can see both sides of the issue.

I've cursed before, and I'm not too proud of admitting that I have used profanity in firing up my High School team when I was coaching. This "example" I set was wrong because I couldn't tell them not to do it if I myself said the same things. I had to find other ways to "vent" or express my emotions. I had to show restraint if I expected my players to do likewise.

I did see one of my players get tossed for swearing at himself after he missed a shot. It was an important game in a tournament and we had to play short handed for most of the game (plus we really missed him in the next game). It was a tough lesson for all of us......

Since the first Quake's game I've attended, I've heard swearing. It was rare, and I never felt bothered by it.

It just seems (to me anyway) like it's becoming louder and more blatant. Games are no longer G rated (or even PG). It can be heard so clearly on TV that it's become embarrassing. BTW, this pertains to all MLS players, not just San Jose.

So, do we just smile and shrug our shoulders? It's so ingrained in our culture that it's ok? Will awareness of the issue even mean anything?

If you're at a game with a kid and you hear some guy/girl in the stands screaming "F you Serna" and worse, do you cringe or even notice it? Does it seem so normal?

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He couldn't say a thing. You can't talk while you're drinking Vero's bathwater. :)