Salman Rushdie to be Knighted

Discussion in 'International News' started by Exit16W, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    I just read that Rushdie will be Knighted and how the Iran Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said the decision to praise the "apostate" showed Islamophobia among British officials. Is this an insult to Islam or a case of Iran trying to make something out of nothing?

2. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why Iran is so worried about what happens in other countries. They should worry more about what goes on in their country.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/06/17/iran.rushdie.ap/index.html

Congrats to Sir Rushdie for telling the truth.

4. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    rushdie is a criminal. his book is against muslims/islam

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    do you have any clue how idiotic your post is? Don't answer.

If I write a book against Jews/Judaism, does it make me a criminal and should I be killed?

T
    H
    I
    N
    K

H
    A
    R
    D

6. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    in iran he is. according to the iranian court.
    its illegal to insult islam in iran.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    but the fatwa was issued for him all over Muslim world.

8. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    yes, true

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the book published in Iran, by an Iranian press?

10. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    no,but it insults Muslims/Islams... and according to the islamic republic... blah blah blah

11. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Fine, so arrest and execute him if he comes to Iran or submit an extradition request to the UK which will be rightfully dismissed out of hand. If Iran wishes to restrict freedom of speech thats up to them but don't expect the rest of the world to back them up

12. Dead Penguin

Dead Penguin New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    UK
    Personally I don't like Rushdie much, but the enemies he attracts raise my opinion of him greatly.

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He broke no law in the country that he resides in or the country he wrote the book in.

But if we applied such a silly nonsensical application of law such as insulting a religion to peoples all over the world, then all would be guilty.

14. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    1. Apply your logic to the US.
    2. What truth did he say? Have you read the book, or are you going by the title "Satanic Verses", in which case, isn't your statement Islamophobia?
    What if you wrote a book in denial of the holocaust? You may not get a fatwa saying you should be killed, but many gladly would and openly encourage it.

Was Irving's book published in Germany? (Sorry can't remember the story well enough; it is possible it was the Netherlands).

Did you know there is a law in the UK against blasphemy? Originally for Christianity, which I believe was later extended to Judaism. I would think similar laws would exist in the US.

Going against people's sensetivities is never something that should be encouraged. Does Rushdie look like a retard? Yes. Did he receive awards for his books because of their literary quality? Many experts say no. Does he sound retarded? Yes; recent example of tabloid headlines: "Veils suck". Do I give two bits about him, what he has to say or his knighthood? No.

I just wasted a minute thinking about the topic. And funnily enough, this is probably one of the most minor things in the news! Somehow, it becomes a hot topic for debate on IN.

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Nothing he said is illegal. He wrote a book, and he wrote the truth. It is a shame that muslims lack the faith in their religion to be able to deal with what they perceive to be insults, even though they are true.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a novel and as such is neither the truth or a lie.

The truth is that The Satanic verses, like many of Rushdie's books, is of largely impenetrable prose, admired more by the the literati than anyone else, that would have long since been forgotten if not for these nutjobs.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it would have been long since forgotten, but I do draw some parallels with the furor that The Da Vinci Code brought when it came out among Catholics.

Its amazing to me that words on paper can shake people so much.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    huge effing difference.

One gives the legal right to Muslims to kill and one is a feeling of apathy and hatred that 100% of people on this planet experience at some point in their lives.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which raises the question, what would happen if Rushdie was murdered in a Muslim country somewhere OTHER than Iran? Maybe Egypt or somewhere like that? Would the murderer be tried for it?

I'm guessing yes but it's only a guess tbh.

Have there been other cases like that? I'd imagine so but we probably haven't heard of them.

Many of the powers that be in Iran seem to have lost the plot as far as I can tell so it's unlikely they'd do the right thing. Mind you, I'm still hopeful that common sense will prevail there in the long run in other areas if the tensions elsewhere can be reduced.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    !Bob, my questions was offered more in conjunction with the threads about the US-Iranian citizens arrested in Iran, in which OO argues that because they are Iranian citizens currently in Iran, they are subject to Iranian laws and we in the west should keep our noses out. By extension, the Rushdie book may be banned in Iran, but how a book published by a non-Iranian press outside Iran subjects the author to Iranian law is beyond me.

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short it does not.
    Of course I realize you know this, as do most other posters around here. But the hypocrisy and double standards shown by iran should not be surprising to any.

22. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laws such as the one you describe are expressly forbidden by the U.S. Constitution.

I read Rushdie's book many years ago, but I didn't understand it. I suspect that was because I have never been familiar with Muslim scripture.

23. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you nab this, you deserve knighthood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Salman Rushdie said things that were offensive to (some/many) Muslims, therefore he deserves to die? That's rather a medieval philosophy, no? I don't think that's how it meant to work.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm a Catholic and the Da Vinci code didn't bother me one bit. Other than by the fact that such mediocre writing could be so successfull. Sign of times, I guess.