Sala?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by freeze_halo1, Sep 1, 2007.

1. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listened to Mike & Mike spend a good deal of their show this morning on this very topic. Not as it relates to Sala, obviously, but they were basically debating whether it's appropriate for home fans to boo their own, and whether there are any players in various sports who should never be booed regardless the situation. The discussion was prompted by the reactions of Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano while the fans booed him out of the game yesterday, and also by some of his post-game comments. Poor baby had his feelings hurt.

On one hand, I certainly understand the fans' frustration. Being a Cubs fan is probably bad enough, but throw in that Zambrano has a 9.56 ERA in three starts since the Cubs gave him a $91.5 million, five-year contract extension, and that he's 0-5 with an 8.29 ERA in six starts since his last win - way back on July 29 - and you can see where they were coming from. On the other hand, you would think his skin could be a bit thicker.

With Sala, the fans who may have booed him see 10 goals allowed in his last two games - both, unfortunately, at home. They see a guy who, regardless the reason (most likely injury), didn't appear to be making saves and plays that he should be making. They may have been questioning the effort.

Personally, I'm very happy to hear that many fans - the Inferno, in particular - continued to support the team to the bitter end of that mess on Saturday. It may not be the easiest thing to do while a game like that is going on, but it's a hell of a lot worse for the players out on the field. Whether Sala should have been out there in the first place is another question, but if he's there he needs our support, good times and bad.

2. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying that to my friends here in Austin, but about the defense in general, all season. They're just not good enough. When Clarence "clear it out for a throw-in" Goodson is your best defender, that's not good enough. Sorry to Goodson fans, and he has been our best, saving us often, but we need to maintain better possession in the back. Booting it up field is a 50/50 proposition at best and not good enough.

As to Sala, he just needs time to get in form. If that means letting Burse cover for him for a bit, so be it.

3. theramblingscot

theramblingscot New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Norman, OK
    I agree. Sala needs some time to rest and really get back to 100%. I'm not sure if he's actually still hurt a little physically or if this is mental at this point. Either way, he needs to pull himself together. His wife is like 8 months pregnant and she'll need him to keep his job safe!

I am completely confident in RayJ when he plays. I just prefer a healthy Sala over RayJ. I think Morrow should play Ray tonight, and then see where Sala is for the Toronto game. The last thing Sala needs is a repeat of the Toronto 4-0 loss (or DC for that matter) to throw him back in the rut.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Which is, afterall, part of a goalkeepers job. The experienced ones have done it so often it doesn't bother them so much, they can stay focused and get ready for the next shot.....Young GK's tend to lose it in tough situations..... I'm a Dario Sala fan and think he's been immense for this team.

No doubt he is going through a rough time and only he know's if he's 100% "right" both mentally and physically.....he should take a break if HE feels he's not "right" in both area's...take the time to get himself right and be the Dario we all know he can be come play-off time.

5. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Song of support the Inferno sings"

Ole, ole, ole, Ole, Ole, Ola
    Ole, Ole, Ole, jugando bien o jugando mal
    Oooooo, Lo te quiero,
    No importa nada, te vendo a alentar!

loosely translated

....playing well or playing bad
    Ooooh, I love you
    It doesn't matter, we support you!

6. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    ...........well, what do you say now...?

7. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Thanks Rex

Aug 1, 2007
    Plano, TX
    That there were some very nervy moments and his kicking has gone to the dogs, particularly the one that led to the Sounders getting one back. Still, fair dues, that was much, much better than against DC and LA (though it could hardly have been any worse than those games).

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Heads up to Morrow for sticking with the guy....the right call....now if we could just, dear Lord, do something about the Argie blatant time wasting.....Look, I think Dario is the man...but the time wasting is just t o o obvious......

9. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    F the haters. Sala is at his best when he's scratching clawing and sucking up every loose ball in the box using whatever means possible.

The magic was back tonight.

In Sala I trust.

10. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHO GIVES A FCUK?

Sala's hands = quality.

(his feet need some work, I'll admit.)

11. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hate to be on the receiving end of Sala's salsa but it works. The striker in you can't stand it, I know:D

12. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    With three nonstarters on the backline in the second half and in extra time, I had no problem with the time wasting. Maybe it's the Colombian in me.

By the way, props to all the posters who redefined the term histrionics for me in this thread.

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Viva la differance......or some such......

14. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
  15. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sala did the same thing tonight that he did against LAG and DCU. You live by the Sala, you die by the Sala. He could have very easily have given up 5 goals tonight.

16. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I don't agree with this at all. Sala today was nothing like he was in the last couple of games.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sala was the same ramblin', gamblin' keeper tonight that he's always been.

Tonight, he got the results.

18. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    But see that's the thing. I didn't see the ramblin', gamblin' guy in the two games where he gave up 10 goals.

It was back tonight.

19. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, now that you mention it, he actually did seem kind of tame against DCU (not LAG though). Maybe he is back in form now.

20. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Okay, now I am fine with Sala in goal until he loses the job due to injury or poor play.

21. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sala is getting his game back but he still looks to be healing. He had a worried grimace all night long.

22. nobody478

nobody478 New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The worried grimace was just in case he let in a goal. :D

In all seriousness it was good to see the result and I hope he can continue to get the results if he is the one we stay with...and it looks like he is it. There is no middle groud with me...I absolutely do not like Sala but it may not yet be Burse's time to shine. If it is Sala between the pipes I will swollow my opinions during the games and support him 100%.

23. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    If I was playing on that green bathroom carpet that he played on in Qwest I'd be worried too.

24. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and honestly, it could easily have happened. I think we got just a little lucky last night that most of Seattle's chances lacked pace. the 10 goals he let in in two games still have him visibly shaken. the argument with Yi revealed that and it reflected poorly on Sala, considering that Sala's clearances are no better than his defenders' tendency to punt the ball into the stands. and considering that Yi hadn't played in a while either.

if he can shut out Toronto, I think it'll go a long way towards his rehabilitation.

25. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had said ANY other team than Toronto you may have had a point :D