Sahlen's Stadium food and beverage

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by Ben James Ben, May 18, 2011.

1. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I'm curious about what food and beverage items are available at Flash home games at Sahlen's Stadium. I imagine that Sahlen's hot dogs are on the menu. What is the beer selection like? Also, I was specifically wondering if any of the following items are sold:

loganberry drink
    frozen custard (not soft serve)
    Buffalo-style chicken wings
    Beef on Weck
    Chiavetta
    Spiedies
    Tullyburgers
    some variety of Garbage Plate
    pierogi or golambki or butter lambs

(Ah, I need to go back to the area someday!)

2. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    It seems that not many people here actually attend Flash home games, but I am still interested in knowing what food and beverage items are sold there. And, I am still especially interested to know if there are any regional items.

For those outside the area, all the things I listed are actual food and drink that are popular in the region and could conceivably be sold in the concession stands. (Except for butter lambs which I put in as a little joke since they're only found around Easter and they're basically just butter.) FYI, at Harvard Stadium the permanent concession stands list clam chowder on the menu, though I think that they only stock it for fall football games. And, at Nickerson Field where the Breakers played in WUSA, I seem to recall that there was one concession stand dedicated to selling chowder, with a permanent "chowder" sign installed above it.

3. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    There are many regional items sold at Sahlen's stadium. Local food joints Bill Gray's, Red Osier (Beef on Weck), Nancy's Fried Dough, and Abbott's Frozen Custard all have concession stands there. Bill Gray's has garbage plates on their restaurant menus, but unfortunately doesn't sell them at the stadium. Zebbs shares a stand with Papa John's Pizza and sells 'boneless' wings. Saranac beer is sold at the stadium (the Rochester Rhinos run the place, and their owner is from Utica). Coors Light and Molson Canadian are the common commercial brews, portable stands also carry Heineken and Twisted Tea. The one main staple at all of the stands is Sahlen's Hot Dogs. No big surprise there.

4. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was particularly impressed because the beer garden also had a great selection of upstate NY wines. The Mogan David Concord Grape from the Finger Lakes appellation was my favorite. Hadn't tasted one of those in many years.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question from someone far away that is contemplating the possibility of making a playoff game.

How difficult is it to get to Rochester from points south (and by south I don't mean Boston). Southwest does seem to go to Buffalo...

6. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I been there several times this year and will be going to the next two games 8/3 and 8/14. It takes me 4+ hours from eastern PA and the route i use are all major highways. Plan ahead is my best advise.:)

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I won't be driving from home. It would take me 12hrs. If and that's a big if, I did try to travel to a game, I'd fly.

8. NukksC16

NukksC16 New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm trying to make my way to this stadium asap! Can't wait :)

Does anyone know when tickets for playoffs go on sale?

9. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess they are waiting to see what match - semifinal or championship -
    they will be hosting before they start selling any tickets. It may be as
    late as August 15 or a day or so later since it looks like the battle for
    first place won't be decided until after the August 14 home/regular season
    finale against Atlanta takes place.

LB...

10. NukksC16

NukksC16 New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh okay I see!

So whoever goes to the Championship match their tickets will go onsale right away? Rather than when we know what two teams will be in the championship match?

11. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope so, considering that the alternative is to start selling tickets only a week ahead of the event. One of the advantages of the WPS playoff scheme is that everyone knows comparatively early who's going to be hosting each of the playoff matches.

12. NukksC16

NukksC16 New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    True! IF Philly was to host and Flash didn't make it to the championship.. I'd hope my tickets were refundable, just in case I couldn't make it.

13. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks for the info on concessions. Sahlen's Stadium seems to have a much better selection of food and drink than ours. I suspect that it is because concessions are run in-house, as opposed to Harvard Stadium's which are run by Centerplate (previously Boston Culinary Group before they merged). I'm well-familiar with Saranac and remember enjoying their Golden Pilsner.

FYI, Sahlen's hot dogs are not easily found in the greater Boston area. However, this might be soon changing, as a Wegman's will be opening in the area in October (Northborough, MA).

14. bdaly

bdaly Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Actually, I don't believe Wegmans carries Sahlen's. Buffalo-based chain Tops does here, along with many delis. You'll probably see Zweigles, which is based two blocks from Sahlen's Stadium, at Wegmans. During bigger stadium events, they setup a stand and sell their hot dogs real cheap, probably as a reaction to no longer being able to sell hot dogs inside the stadium.

Interestingly, when Sahlen's took the stadium sponsorship, they said they weren't particularly concerned about selling more hot dogs here (or anywhere) as they're pretty much at full capacity. However, they really want to see their deli meat business get a nice bump. In the early days when they weren't drawing well, Sahlen's sent a truck of meat and gave away 1,000 items of whatever after each game. It was interesting watching a family of four walking out with four pounds of meat from the game!

15. TheJerseyDevil

TheJerseyDevil New Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Is it really true they ban all cameras with detachable lenses there???

16. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a usual stadium policy, the exception is for Media

17. TheJerseyDevil

TheJerseyDevil New Member

Aug 1, 2011
    not necessarily at all

Philadephia Independence and Philadelphia Union at PPL Park do so long as the lens is 8" or less. Sky Blue FC lets in big cams. The NY Mets allow DLSRs in. The New York Yankees let almost any lens or camera in, even 100-400mm. Most MLB teams allow some level of DLSR+lens in, often with hardly any restrictions at all. The NFL is a little more restrictive at times but most allow under 200mm lenses, at the least.

NBA can be super restrictive though.
    Red Bulls have a super strict camera policy too as does now ACC and NCAA D1 conference and national championship soccer at SAS Park.

It's odd that it's often the smaller little parks and sports that have yet to get as much audience that actually tend to be much more restrictive on average than the really big stadiums like say Yankee Stadium (well, excepting minor league baseball which usually lets in almost anything). You'd think they'd not want to scare off a single potential customer for any remotely possible reason.

I've shot with press passes quite a few times before but IMO it's nice for people to be able to bring stuff in for the times you don't have a press pass, which for most people is actually always. And for something like soccer, WPS or MLS, it can lure people into going for the expensive field tickets even more so I bet.