Saha to repay Fergies patience

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by RedFriday, Jan 31, 2006.

1. RedFriday

RedFriday New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Louis Saha has heaped praise on Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson for sticking by him, despite a string of injury troubles.

The former Fulham striker has struggled to justify his £12 million-plus price-tag since joining United in January, 2004.

Saha went through some dark days during his time on the sidelines, and even struggled to find the motivation to start the long road to recovery.

His latest return to fitness has coincided with a run of goals, particularly in the cup competitions, as he starts to show the sort of sharpness that persuaded Ferguson to splash out a record fee for Fulham.

"I don't feel weakness any more in my knee now," Saha told L'Equipe.

"On a physical level, even if it is much better, I am not at my best yet.

"My performances are due to the club's renewed success. I was injured for almost a year and a half and, if I am able to come back to a good level, it is mainly due to Alex Ferguson and my team-mates.

"The coach always had the same words towards me, even when I was very down.

"He has always trusted me, this is what has improved my desire to give my best for him.

"Sometimes, I was so down that I didn't want to go back to the training centre for rehabilitation.

"It was such a mess.

"Fortunately, Alex Ferguson was present."

Saha stressed he is willing to put his club before his country, despite France's participation in the World Cup finals, after unfortunately picking up the majority of his injuries whilst on international duty.

"It would be hypocritical to say I don't think about the French team but it is not my priority," he explained.

"People at the club helped me to get through the very difficult moments.

"So my priority is the club."

Saha then tripped over and twisted his knee whilst leaving the interview podium and will be out for up to a year! ;)

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF?

I'm stunned... happy and pleased... but stunned. :eek:

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Me too. I have been a bit shocked by Saha since his return. I don't ever recall him being as 'hungry' as he is now to perform. He's always been an aggressive player, but I don't remember him being as 'crazy' as he is now. Maybe this is what he looks like with 100% commitment?

If that is the Saha United will get for his whole career and he stays fit I would be delighted with the '4set' we have.

4. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    I'm still waiting for Saha to get back to his "100%". He's a 20+ goals/season striker when on form; right now he still has a lot of work to do on his finishing and one-on-ones but he's still managed to score eight goals in just over a month.

5. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunatelly he has only started twic ein the league and has one goal. Hopefully he can get some starts to rest Rooney in the near future.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think he's a natural backup for Rooney if we want to rest the kid. Let Saha get some starts and get himself back into form. He seems pretty close to being there, and hopefully can silence some of the people who said his transfer was a waste of money.

7. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    It's looking increasingly unlikely that Fergie will even consider resting Rooney now. I reckon he wants to play Rooney as the AM against Blackburn and have both Saha and Ruud starting as well.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*
    Well, here's to hoping Rooney is more of a physical freak than even we thought, and that at age 20 he really can play an entire season nonstop then go straight into the World Cup.

Although in truth, I guess he's being "rested" for European matches. :rolleyes: :(

9. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Yeah I think you are correct. Absent the midfield injuries I think Rooney would be getting a rest and Saha would be getting those starts instead. Saha has a lot of talent and if you look at just games played for us he has a decent scoring record.

It is nice to hear him say he is committed to the club.

10. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand Fergie's thinking here. He has brought up many a goog youngsters in his day, but he is really pushing Rooney right now. Why not start Fletcher with Rio in the center? There is no need to risk Rooney with 2/5ths of the season left.

11. RedFriday

RedFriday New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    I know the premiership is pretty much dead and buried but do you think the reason SAF is reluctant to stop playing Rooney and give Saha a longer run in the team is because he wants to keep the pressure on Chelsea.

I believe there maybe a chink in Chelsea'a armour. They have been less than convincing over the last month and the team seems to have lost that really clicky team spirit from last season. And there seems to be one or two draws and losses creeping in. They have to play us and Liverpool over the next few weeks and also keep there eye on the Champions League.

Maybe Fergie sees some light at the end of the tunnel. It could be this:

Get docked 3 points for tapping up JOM ( gap now 11)
    Chelski Lose to Liverpool (gap now 8 points)
    Chelski lose to us (Gap now 5 points)

5 points anything can happen...

Am I deluded?:confused:

12. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, a bit... the Obi Mikel thing wont get into effect until next season... at best that is... And I don't think we can count on the scousers or ourselves at the moment

13. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I think we should devote our energies to clinching second position, although I think that would be equivalent to trying to top Chelsea anyways.. It's hard to imagine that they would crumble with their current lead, Liverpool and us must chop some points off them and maybe with the CL they'll be distracted and lose points with other teams.

But this doesn't in any way mean WE won't lose points.. see Wolverhampton, Portsmouth over the past two years.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    great to hear Saha talk about being committed to the club... I'm not quite sure if I buy it all just yet, but who knows... what's for sure is that he's in good form and he's a viable option to rest either Ruud or Rooney and once injuries settle we'll have probably the best quartet of strikers in the world, all who offer something different.

If Fergie uses Saha properly he could become a very useful tool. Not only to keep Ruud and Rooney fresh and motivated, but also as a change of pace against certain types of teams as well as a substitute. Dealing with Rooney's directness and workrate combined with having to be perfect positionally to contain Ruud and then in the 70th minute being menatally drained and physically battered (by Rooney) defenders have to try and contain Saha who's faster than Rooney and good on the ball.

One thing I'd like to see more of against teams with excellent midfields the long ball/nod down trick might work and Saha's got the tools to win the long balls. I'm not suggesting we become a longball team... far from it.. but rather than resorting to magic from Rooney when we're down it would be nice to know that we've got a specific plan B in certain situations...

can u imagine a team concentrating on denying us time in midfield, pressing us hard and playing a high line of defense all of a sudden having to deal with a team that has a plan to bypass the midfield and adjust to this right in the midst of a game?

15. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Buy what? The guy is basically just being gracious for the patience extended to him by United.

I think its a great piece, and Ive been impressed by his actions on the field. Im just knocking on wood that he stays injury free and gets stronger.

Ferguson must be pleased thus far. It takes a man of serious faith and conviction to wait around for a player for a year and half, not knowing what the future really holds. Great story.

16. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    Im happy with the comments saha made, except for he made them to l'equpie but thats a different story. He sounds commited player for the reds, and certainly is qualified to backup ruud and rooney.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't buy it/believe it completely because of the way he plays when he's paired with Rossi... he's selfish and refuses to pass to Rossi. That's not the way someone who puts the team above everything else behaves... that's why I'm not sure...

18. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    i think we can put the selfishness down to a desire and hunger to please the boss johnno, remember, he was most probably playing for his future at the club in the cup matches.

tbh, i would rather see this frontline formation:

Ronaldo/Park-----Rio------Rooney/Richardson/Giggs

-----------------Rossi

Saha----------------------Ruud

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think such a formation would give us so much options and variety....

whether its the sheer skill, intelligence, and brute strength from rooney, who would break late into the box, the silky skills, finishing, and vision of rossi, the pace, arial ability, and all-round physical presence and footballing ability, of saha, and not forgetting the guile and supreme finishing ability of the wily old fox that is ruud....

just imagine if that was the attacking line-up for the rest of the season!

however, for such a formation to be a success, we need the balance in midfield, probably wayne being the box-to-box player, which in normal circumstances, he could do with aplomb, but a tired wayne rooney is a different matter...
    if only fergie rested rooney during the christmas period!!!

19. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When Saha has been playing for the first team he always gives it all he's got. He was very clear that he wanted to come here when we made a bid for him and I still think it was a great buy from Fergies side. Just hope that he get the chance to stay fit so we can se more from him...

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    "Tottenham rejected late moves in the January transfer window from Liverpool and Manchester United for England striker Jermain Defoe. (Daily Express)

Liverpool were believed to want to do a straight swap with Djibril Cisse while United were prepared to offer Louis Saha and £2m for Defoe."

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/4668596.stm)

21. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Kind of ironic that the day after Saha comes out talking about showing his allegiance to United we try to ship him off to Spurs...

22. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allegedly.

I worry that Saha's new attitude lasts only until he's back in the frame for France. Lucky for us, France doesn't really need him right now.

23. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    anyone else remember the picture of Johno with the Saha shirts on sale?? im telling you guys that was a sign ;)

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link

I think the caption says it all. ;)

25. mhtwins113

mhtwins113 Member

May 9, 2005
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bolded part says it all for me, obviously that story is absolute rubbish.