Sacramento Roster Thread - 2015

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the 2014 USL Media Guide...

Each club affiliation is customized to meet the
    needs of the respective teams, but all include
    at least four players on long-term loan from the
    MLS parent club to its USL PRO affiliate.

2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see if that happens or not. There seemed to be reluctance from the Quakes last year to do the bare minimum, so hopefully we will see some loanees this year.

The one thing with that is, we have basically the same team coming from last year. Would we replace guys on our winning team with some rookie the Quakes drafted to try to give him experience? Must be very hard balancing the interests.

3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess its a matter of talent and chemistry. Aside from Gleeson, the Portland loanees who started the season barely got any starts and they had a full month to train. Now, I don't remember either of those guys being rookies but they were pretty young.

OTOH SJ's loanees were, by and large, pretty significant contributors and it looked like they belonged. We'll find out if that carries over. I don't get the impression that Preki is going to kowtow to anyone.

As for the 16 trialists in camp, if we end up with one or two starters from that group, all the better.

(edit - moved the Preki reference to a more logical place in the post)

4. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 fortunesfool223, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    I can't see that happening. Preki and Warren Smith need to keep the momentum high in the community while MLS is deciding. Having to sacrifice competitiveness for Quakes player development would force SRFC's hand.......and Quakes would be smart to hold that hand as long as possible.......at least until MLS decides.

That said, I'd be excited to see Mez play and develop here. :)

5. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, a really good article from the Bee on new keeper Patrick McLain.

Patrick McLain

Salvadanish repped this.
  6. Salvadanish

Salvadanish Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The most telling quote: "[McLain] was so disillusioned in Orange County that he said he dug into his own pocket and used his savings to buy out his contract. He said the departure of a goalkeeper coach he respected early in the season plus a revolving door of players led to the unraveling of a team that appeared to be pretty solid at the start of the season."

Also a shame that he had to suffer two seasons with the train wreck formerly known as Chivas USA.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been a few weeks, any other new signings?

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. I figure a lot of the signings will be made as late as possible, since no one has really distinguished themselves, except for maybe Gabeljic. They don't have that many more trialists than spots available, especially with the looming MLS player strike, so everyone must feel that they have a shot. I figure Preki will take as long a look as possible to see who fits into his system the best.

9. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    SoccerPrime repped this.
  10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What of the Australian guy?

11. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Apparently not signed, along with the Croatian guy. Granted, even with the 4 SJ loanees our roster still isn't up to what it was last year (we had 26 I think, but with the loanees we only have 23) so we might not be done signing trialists.

12. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current Roster:

McLain, GK
    Jakubek, GK
    Kiffe, D
    Klimenta, D
    Vukovic, D
    Daly, D
    Duckett, D
    Alvarez, MF
    Cazarez, MF
    Guzman, MF
    Mirkovic, MF
    Gilberto, MF
    Lopez, MF
    Taublieb, MF
    Motagalvan, MF
    Gonzalez, MF
    Gissie, MF/F
    Stewart, F
    Braun, F

That's 19 so far. Reckless Challenge has reported that roster size has expanded from 26 to 30 this season. If so, with adding at least four from SJ (we'll see) then that means we can sign as many as seven more.

The affiliation agreement between the two leagues says there must be a minimum of four on loan, but as with every rule involving MLS, that requirement is probably subject to the turning of the blind eye.

13. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the "up and down" nature of loanees, I would think the club would want to be as deep as possible......well, at least deeper than only 19 provides....keeping options open, or an admission of trialist 'quality dropoff?'

14. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 mangerson, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    McLain, GK
    Jakubek, GK
    Kiffe, D
    Klimenta, D
    Vukovic, D
    Daly, D
    Duckett, D
    Foran, D
    Bonvehi, D
    Alvarez, MF
    Cazarez, MF
    Guzman, MF
    Mirkovic, MF
    Gilberto, MF
    Lopez, MF
    Taublieb, MF
    Motagalvan, MF
    Gonzalez, MF
    Gissie, MF/F
    Stewart, F
    Braun, F
    Gabeljic, F
    Rivas, F

Two keepers, seven defenders, ten mid-fielders and four forwards. Definitely still thin too thin in the back. Not sure when Vukovic is expected back, but I don't think he's supposed to miss much time (can't remember where I saw that).

Edit: Bartlome appears to still be in camp (as of the Cosmos game) but remains unsigned.

16. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #43 fortunesfool223, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

They (SRFC) sent a Tweet out last week that showed Tommy Stewart in an ankle brace and crutches (i.e. post surgery). Too bad, I was looking forward to watching him play. Hopefully he recovers quickly, but the internet is full of stories of a long recovery time. He's young and fit, so hopefully 4-6 weeks is realistic.

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than a week before kickoff and we still have no idea who or how many guys we'll see from the Quakes. I've been trying to figure out who would be coming here based on the Quakes games, all I can see is who is not getting minutes and who is. Jahn has earned a spot on the first team for now, so we won't see him back. TT seems to not be in Kinnear's favor, he's a possibility though I would hate Kinnear for stunting his growth. I really, really hope we don't get some obligatory loan like Fucito or Barklage or other guys whose ships have sailed and provide little to either team. I think we'll see a guy like Cordell Cato come down. Was thinking maybe rookie Alashe but he's getting first team minutes already. Very hard to read Kinnear.

19. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.........VERY hard to read. My WAG is that we see TT, Sherrod, Cato, and Barklege here. They seem to be getting minimal time on the field right now.

20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two forwards signed, David Estrada, formerly of Seattle and DC United. Also, Sacramento native, Cameron iwasa 2015 draft pick of Montreal Impact. Both players in Seattle.

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Estrada huh? There was a brief window a while back where he was seen as a hopeful for Seattle, a sort of out-of-nowhere goal scoring hero like Wondolowski. But that never happened, and he burned out like Jeremy Lin. Solid pickup for the team, fitting I guess that he goes to Seattle for the first game.

mangerson repped this.
  22. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as a point of reference, there are twelve MLS teams affiliated with independent USL clubs. As of Friday, seven have loaned players to USL. On avg., those seven have loaned just two players.

Besides the 'Quakes, KC, Dal, Phil and NE have not loaned anyone. OKC, Harrisburg, Rochester and Arizona are the other independents with none.

Conversely, four of the eight MLS clubs operating their own USL side have loaned players, ranging from six up to ten. Those four are LA (6), RSL (7), Seattle (10) and Toronto (7).

Vancouver, Portland, NE and Red Bull have not loaned anyone.

23. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until SJ signs more players, there are only 25 on the senior roster, we're likely to see, at best, Sherrod, Harden or a couple of has-beens. Here are the players not on the game day 18 on Sunday:

Fucito
    Bernardez (red card)
    Renato (injured)
    Lenhart (injured?)
    Sherrod
    Stephenson
    Stewart (injured)

They have only five CB's, so the best we would see there is the 31 yr. old Harden.
    Three, Three(!) outside backs, not counting Cato. No help coming there.
    Nine MF's (counting TT here). Eight were in the 18. Stephenson was the odd man out.
    Four F's with Fucito, Lenhart and Sherrod not in the 18.

Even with Bernardez, Renato, Lenhart and Stewart back, the best that we can hope for is maybe Harden (31 years old, but solid for USL) and/or a F or two (Sherrod and yes, Fucito).

I don't think they will loan anyone until they fill their roster with the allowed 30.

Hell, we're more likely to loan SJ Klimenta or Kiffe before we see anyone from them. I'm kidding, but still.

24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were likely to get Fucito - almost certainly. He's the only dead weight on the roster who is expendable, isn't injured, and was loaned to us last year.

The rest is completely up in the air. I wouldn't think he would loan Khari but maybe he will since he's not playing him. And TT can't seem to get some playing time under him. As much as I'd love to see TT here in town, to not play him with the Quakes would be a travesty. Kinnear has shown no love for the kid which is very strange. Harden won't get loaned, he just played 90 on Sunday and scored a goal. I thought we would see Alashe but he's getting starts with the Quakes. Hard to have any idea, and I think Kinnear doesn't have an idea either. Hey appear in no hurry to loan, and that's frustrating. It's not like we could have used a few MLS players to help us out with all of the Republic injuries...

But other than details, is this not kind of neglectful in terms of an affiliation? What good is an affiliation if there are no requirements or enforcement?