Sacramento MLS Expansion Superthread

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Nov 28, 2013.

1. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    We all know by now that the name "Kevin Nagle" is probably radioactive at MLS HQ - much in the same way that the name "Chris Hansen" is radioactive at NBA HQ (but for different reasons). So long as Nagle is involved with any sort of SRFC expansion bid, MLS will just as quickly either outright junk that bid or put the bid so far to the back of the pecking order that it does not see the light of day.

You would think that with Vivek Ranadive running the NBA Kings that Darrell the Lesser would have easy access to Ranadive's Silicon Valley contacts list, but that does not appear to have come to pass. There was a rumor on Reddit five months ago or so that the ownership of the SF Giants was interested in jumping in, but nothing has come of that. Probably because Smart Rich People know a bad bet when they see one, and Kevin Nagle is 100% a bad bet where MLS is concerned.

Quite bluntly, folks hereabouts have pretty much moved on. It didn't help that this year's USL-C squad was Craptastic with a capital C. People still came out to the games, but the passion has very much waned.

(shrug)

It is what it is. The USL product can still be entertaining, and there's some nearby roadies that are big fun to go to - looking very much forward to a potential Monterey road trip - and perhaps some sunny day I'll hit the $800M Powerball on a solo ticket and be able to do something about this situation.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The doom ledge never disappoints!

SierraSpartan repped this.
  3. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    File this one under "No Shit, Sherlock".

upload_2021-12-14_8-31-46.png

4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and LV has two competing groups that MLS has to choose from

5. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Vegas is the new shiny object. Once the Golden Kniggits broke the seal, the door to all of LV's corporate money has since opened wide.

The days of the fan-passion-driven MLS Expansion decision are long gone.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which passionate fans are you describing?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the LV Light FC supporters/fans
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean in terms of getting them expansion teams. There's FC Cincinnati and ....

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Doom doesn't require a $600 million whale.

Doom is free.

And it's always there for you.

SierraSpartan repped this.
  10. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    upload_2021-12-17_9-1-40.png

upload_2021-12-17_9-2-23.png
    https://fox40.com/news/local-news/l...ance-for-mls-team-appears-to-be-over-for-now/

1. No USL-spec stadium will be built at Railyards if there is even the slightest chance of MLS coming along. The money and the pizzazz just is not there any more, sufficient at the level to build a USL stadium. Because of that, absent some sort of bolt-out-of-the-blue infusion of cash, expect SRFC to remain in the "temporary" stadium at Cal Expo while a significant chunk of their fellow clubs in USL get themselves into newer, better facilities that can attract better crowds and have better and more lucrative corporate support. Whatever it is that they are calling the stadium at Cal Expo right now is Arco Arena 1.0 in a Chase Center world.

2. For the last six years, SRFC has been charging its fan base MLS prices for a USL product, and that has to change. That is beginning to manifest itself in the large number of empty seats that began showing up in the 2021 season. Unless prices drop, I fully expect those empty seats to continue to show up, and they may start bringing along some of their buddies to the matches as well.

I honestly fear for the future of SRFC. I think the present ownership doesn't know what to do right now. Everything has been predicated on MLS, and that is dead and gone. They thought they could rest on the laurels of the first few seasons while waiting for MLS, but in that time I think they've forgotten how to run an actual professional sports organization.

I would very much like to be wrong about the above paragraph.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You can't always have what you'd like to have.

12. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron Salerno @cameronsalerno1
    Some interesting notes from @Sactown1140 this morning: - Sacramento Kings GM Monte McNair was in attendance for the Sac Republic game last night - There were two potential MLS investor groups in attendance watching last night

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to 32 peeps. Sacramento, Vegas and either San Diego or Detroit.

14. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------------
    These would all be good choices in my opinion. As competition for sports $$
    SAC only has NBA, SD only MLB, LV has NFL & NBA and could have MLB so my worry there is the size of the market. Have been surprise why the NBA was not next to LV. Detroit has all four other sports, the town is one the way back, would still have to assume you have to draw from the suburbs. And in DET case, if the Lions stadium was rejected by MLS, you are going to need a new properly located SSS. San Diego could be the dark horse- a beautiful moderate size (30-35k) stadium is just opening, grass field and wide enough for soccer.
    That would be quite a feat for this stadium- NCAA and NWSL already and could have MLS.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hoping so man, so hard. A couple more california teams awarded would be fantastic to close it out.

16. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what happen to Phoenix?

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. SD has a stadium they could play in tomorrow, Phoenix has firm stadium plans on native American land, I guess Detroit's only short term bet is Ford Field.

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    San Diego's MLS bid was for a stadium that was in competition with the SDSU stadium and it lost. I don't know if they'd be up for renting that facility, especially with MLR and NWSL teams already signed up for dates.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They allegedly built it with MLS in mind so it would be the perfect temporary home.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and as we have seen with Nashville, mid 30's is no longer an untouchable attendance number.. Well.......it shouldnt be anyways. Hopefully Nashville helped changed the calculus a tad there

21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe, but they built it at 35k with it expandable to 55k in case SDSU gets into a bigger conference.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sac is or was the closest with any interested MLS ownership group but I’m thinking if they don’t work out, the other two locations would be San Diego or San Francisco.

They would be the only areas available in California where a team could play.

I’d love to see them add a team in Sac but I wonder if and when it will ever happen?

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right but after 3 or 4 years it would be more suitable than some MLS stadiums after 20 years.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Final half time per Garber:

Will be patient with Vegas and San Diego. Feels like San Diego might actually have moved out in front for team 30.

*Sacramento is not out*

Says we are "most likely" done at 30. Dont believe that for even one second. Posturing to get Vegas, San Diego, and poss Sacramento over finish line

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  25. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------
    Snapdragon is a perfect soccer venue with light rail access.
    Perfect weather, no domes needed!
    Could be like Portland where both the mens AND the women teams draw well.