Sacramento 2015 Post/2016 Pre-Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Sep 28, 2015.

1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have the numbers on goals scored per game under Preki vs under Buckle?

2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my count, under Preki 29 goals in 19 games. 1.52 goals per game.
    Under Buckle, 14 goals in 10 games. 1.4 per.

I counted only USL games, plus the playoff loss to Gals. Preki went without Stewart for the start of the year. I think Buckle went without Guzman and Alvarez toward the end. Don't remember any other significant injuries.

QuietType repped this.
  3. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Pridham is a stud up top. His best strengths are holding the ball and laying off to midfielders to improve the attack, then finishing very well on chances he gets, in the air and on the ground. Since leaving Cal Poly, he has been put into systems that are not suited for his strengths at all (he is NOT a winger or even a midfielder). He just needs to find the right system that suits him best and he will perform big time.

4. SacMan

SacMan Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nothing about last nights game?

5. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Anyone know what time the Dragons game is supposed to be at?

6. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes eight preseason games over 23 or 24 days going back to the Rapids game.

Anyone else going to the 'Quakes game tonight?

11. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent game for a preseason friendly. Not great, but I've seen worse MLS regular season games.

Not as feisty as last year's matches. SRFC was content to lay back and counter attack, and did beautifully on Alvarez's assist to Pridham. Backline looked solid in the 1st half. Newton made a great save off a deflected shot and had another pretty good save in the 1st. I missed Wondo off the crossbar. Had to get a jump on the beer lines.

Most of the action was at the other end of the field from where I sat in 202 in the second half. Foran came in to replace Christian at halftime and I wonder how much that contributed to the two SJ goals, both of which were nicely executed coming up either wing. Klimenta looked pretty gassed at the end of the game which may have contributed to the 2nd SJ goal. We look a little disjointed in the center of the field. I'm hopeful that Berra will step in well for Lopez, but it didn't happen last night. Guzman played well, I thought. No Mirkovic last night. Not even on the bench. Don't know what's up with that.

It was nice, though, to see both sides leave starters onto the field well into the 2nd half. Felt like I got my money's worth. BTW, Tommy Thompson, I thought was the best player on the field last night, and it wasn't even that close. He didn't do anything eye-popping, just got into open spaces, kept his head up and distributed the ball well.

QuietType repped this.
  12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - TT looked great, glad lots of people went and saw the best NorCal soccer has to offer!

Foran I don't know about. He was originally a defensive mid who they've tried to convert to a CB. He's just big, slow, and a liability most of the time. I hope Christian doesn't get injured this season or we're toast.

13. SacMan

SacMan Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Foran has been a center back all his life, the great preki tried to turn him into a midfielder. Foran was solid last night behind a poor Barrera and a missing Mirkovic who busted his ankle in training. Looking forward to sac state...

14. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So do we have an idea of the trialists? Pridham from what I heard is solid and is performing well while Williams has been underwhelming. Anyone know about Diego Lopez or the other trialists? I heard the New Zealander was also good.

15. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think I'll drop by Sac State tomorrow afternoon. free afternoon, great weather, and soccer...in February - what a life!

mangerson repped this.
  16. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I went to the game yesterday, and so did 900 others! Mirkovic was in the crowd, and I saw him walking around afterwards without any assistance, so maybe his injury is minor? The defense started with DaFonte, Christian, Klimenta and Kiffe. They are clearly still working out the kinks. Guzman played most (if not all) of the second half - good to see him back on the field at full speed.
    Sac State had several players that did well.....I think I will go see them play more often.

17. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-0 win at Sonoma Co. Gold tonight. Goals from Stewart (2), Klimenta and Kiffe. Assists from Pridham, Alvarez and Cazares.

18. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an article in this yesterday's Bee, with a quote from Kiffe regarding tactics and formation:

It also was encouraging that Klimenta and Kiffe, the team’s two outside defenders, had goals (vs. Sonoma County). Both grew up as forwards and have a mentality for going toward goal, something encouraged by coach Paul Buckle and former coach Preki.

Kiffe, 27, thinks both may get even more scoring chances after the departure of star midfielder Rodrigo Lopez, who had 26 goals and 19 assists in his two seasons with the team.

“That’s the reason Paul is playing with two holding (midfielders), it lets us go forward a little more,” Kiffe said. “Losing RoRo, we’re going to have to figure out how we are going to put up those stats. Paul is confident in Emrah and I to get forward, get assists and go to goal, too. It’s nice to have a little more free rein.”

Kiffe said his 86th-minute goal happened because of outstanding interplay with Joaquin Rivas and trialist Manny Cazares.

“Because of two perfect plays from them, I had a ton of time (to shoot),” said Kiffe, who put a left-footed chip over the Sol goalkeeper in their one-on-one duel. “Sometimes as an outside back, the stars have to align for you to get all the way forward. It’s nice when people reward you for making that 50-yard run.”

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/mls/article63699557.html#storylink=cpy

So, I guess there will be more attacking up the flank, but less susceptibility to being beaten on the counter? It seems we were somewhat exposed on the counter under Preki.

19. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend's results:

Thursday: SRFC 1 - 1 Frenso, (5 - 3 on PK's) Pridham with the lone goal in the 86th minute
    Saturday: SRFC 6 - 1 UCSB
    Sunday: SRFC 0 - 1 VC Fusion

Haven't found any details on the UCSB or Fusion games.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Robdog and msilverstein47 repped this.
  23. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Apparently he's training with the club at the preseason camp. He might actually train at CRC. Drogba at CRC is something I don't think I'd ever hear. Too bad he chose a bad week to do it with the rain, though I suppose he's used to it.

24. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    still warmer here in Sac-town than in Montreal ;) - maybe we can watch the match vs PSG together - just kidding ;)