Sac City College field

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Sep 20, 2013.

1. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really hate the field. Way to busy with all the football lines and center logo, and too narrow.

Does anyone have insight on the cost to overlay a removable soccer specific artificial turf field over the current turf football field? This seems like a good way to make the field soccer-size (since the current one is too narrow ~65 yds).

Since the football field is flush with the track, the soccer overlay could stretch over the track, bringing the field closer to the stands.

Just thinking too much instead of working :thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, its Friday, right?

:D

3. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, but is it 5 pm yet? :)

4. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
  5. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  6. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. There's Hornet Stadium, too. Sierra College and ARC are probably too small, but Sac State could take them. Not sure what parking is like. Hell, SRFC could introduce Folsom High or UC Davis just for bargaining leverage, not that SCC shouldn't see through it.

7. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    The lease issue with Hughes Stadium is probably the reason they haven't announced the "pick your seat" party for those of us who placed our deposits for season tickets. Hope it gets resolved quickly.

8. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think Hornet stadium may be too narrow

9. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right. There's not much off that near sideline, compared to the far.

[​IMG]

10. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you measure by google earth, the field would only be about 60-61 yds due to the curve of the track at the end zones. At 60 yards, the soccer sidelines would literally be next to the rubber track, which would be unsafe. The SCC soccer lines are 65 yards, with about a 3-4 foot buffer before the rubber track.

I also think alcohol is a bigger issue at Sac State. The Fire vs. Police annual Guns N Hoses football game moved away from Sac State because they wouldn't allow alcohol.

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not good news, and very strange. SSC is far from a perfect venue, but if not there, where would they be playing?? Venue choice is a VERY important piece of the team's success, I hope the ownership does right.

12. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After watching playoff games for Revs and Sounders, I was reminded how watching soccer played on a football field SUCKS!!!

hopefully the payoff for us is an MLS team and a SS Stadium!!

Robdog repped this.
  13. Tower Bridge Battalion

Mar 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Agreed.

14. Tower Bridge Battalion

Mar 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    We have been told alcohol will be allowed.

15. Kaece

Kaece Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  16. sugit

sugit Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Very i interesting....this could be really cool.

Letter from Warren Smith Regarding Cal Expo Home Pitch

The Sacramento Republic FC has been somewhat “quiet” over the last few months, and there is a good reason why. For our season ticket holders, nearly 2,100 of you, you have been patiently waiting for news on your seat assignments. We cannot thank you enough for this patience and are now in a position to share why this process has not started sooner. It is largely due to an unbelievable opportunity that was presented to the Sacramento Republic FC in the past few months.

A media report broadcasted this evening that Cal Expo and Ovations Food Service are currently negotiating the building of a multi-use facility that would feature a full grass pitch on the grounds of the California State Fair. Ovations Food Service, the concessions service provider at Cal Expo, proposed to build, and pay, for such a facility in partnership with Cal Expo. The facility would not only bring additional revenue to Cal Expo and improve the grounds, but also provide a venue for family-friendly entertainment for the entire Sacramento region.

If this 8,000 seat facility is built, it would include a full grass pitch and serve as the home site for Sacramento Republic FC as soon as its inaugural season in 2014. This is an opportunity that we just can’t pass up and are diligently working through every detail to ensure that the deal happens.

As you all know, The Sacramento Republic FC is on a mission to ultimately secure a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise for the Sacramento region. In my conversations with the league, it was conveyed that playing on a full grass pitch would enhance the game experience and our ability to garner a MLS franchise. While Los Rios Community College District and Sacramento City College have been unbelievably great to work with by providing us Hughes Stadium as a home field, the field is not an ideal fit for soccer due to its permanent American football lines, artificial turf and narrow width.

A full grass pitch, or field, would not only enhance the professional game experience for players and spectators, but elevate our position towards a MLS franchise. In addition, this facility will be another resource that can be used by the region for soccer tournaments, sports such as rugby, lacrosse and even high school football games.

The Cal Expo Board of Directors will meet on Thursday, November 14 at 9.00 a.m. to discuss and review Ovations' proposal for this multi-use facility, which would include Sacramento Republic FC as a licensee. We will update our season ticket holders and supporters of the meeting's results and will also include an artist’s rendering of the multi-use facility for your review.

While these developments progress, priority seating for season ticket holders will continue throughout the month. Sacramento Republic FC account representatives will be contacting anyone who has placed a deposit for their seating preferences via email and phone. Ticket holders will be contacted in order of priority based on when they placed their deposit. If you have not placed a deposit for tickets, seating is still available and $25 refundable deposits may be placed to secure your season tickets online at SacRepublicFC.com.

Thank you all for your support of the Sacramento Republic FC and for your patience as we work through this process. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (916) 307-6100 or goal@sacrepublicfc.com. Updates will also be provided via Facebook and Twitter.

Glory glory Sacramento!

Warren Smith
    President

17. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 QuietType, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Whoa....... I just got that e-mail too, and read that link to the news report.

Yeah, I'm torn because I was excited about the Sac City College location (my plans to drink at Track 7 Brewery and then walk to games are now ruined!), but on the other hand... real grass, no ugly permanent football lines, and hopefully no track around the field(?) all equal better soccer and better experience.

I still don't think it's as good of a location, in terms of being closer to the "urban core" or easily biked/walked to by many people.. I absolutely dread driving over Business 80, especially on Saturdays, so I'm not excited about that. And it was super convenient having the light rail literally at the doorstep of Hughes stadium..

I think that overall, the pros outweigh the cons - so, this is a good move. But wow, a $2.5 million temporary stadium, that needs to be ready no later than March of next year? I hope this doesn't cause any issues...

Does anyone know exactly where at Cal Expo this "former Bill Graham Presents Amphitheater" is located? Not sure where on the grounds it would be.

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The Cal Expo Board of Directors will meet on Thursday, November 14 at 9.00 a.m. to discuss and review Ovations' proposal for this multi-use facility, which would include Sacramento Republic FC as a licensee. We will update our season ticket holders and supporters of the meeting's results and will also include an artist’s rendering of the multi-use facility for your review." :thumbsup::geek:

So it sounds like there is a meeting tomorrow morning that will decide whether or not this all will happen?? And we will all be notified via e-mail, and it sounds like there already exists an artists rendering which we may all get to see as soon as tomorrow?

19. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cal expo map.jpg Re: location of the old bill graham Ampitheatre. I believe its the dirt field immediately to the west of Raging Waters; its where they do the Monster truck and moto-cross jumping demos during the state fair.

QuietType repped this.
  20. sugit

sugit Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Funny, I thought the same thing as well. I was looking forward to Track 7 prior to games.

QuietType repped this.
  21. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This location makes sense, since the stadium will be up and running during the State Fair. The location will minimally impact anything of importance; the monster truck rides can be located i the corner of the parking lot.

22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hooters will have to be your consolation (there are worse things :D)

23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, thanks for that screen shot, very helpful!

I take it we will be the only stadium to boast having a monorail circle overhead?? :laugh:

24. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes