Sabermetrics applying to Soccer

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by mpruitt, Jul 30, 2003.

1. 9tenths

9tenths New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Does anybody know of any available published or online information about individual match performance data for youth.
    I am interested to know if anyone is studying or has studied performance statistics such as passing accuracy, etc and how they tend to develop over time with age.
    Was Xavi 90+% passing accuracy when he was 14? 18? I'm thinking people were not tracking the things at the time.
    Are professional teams using stats for the youth teams? How about National youth teams?
    If so how do they compare to professional Big 5 or MLS numbers?

2. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    TimB4Last and EvanJ repped this.
  3. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  4. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  5. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    108thLegendary and chewie4917 repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Off-topic, so with apologies, but saw it and liked it ...

http://spectrum.ieee.org/robotics/artificial-intelligence/ais-have-mastered-chess-will-go-be-next

I am not a stats guy, but I think the article is worth reading and might provide some insight. Enjoy!

108thLegendary repped this.
  7. john_bowninbox

john_bowninbox New Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  8. Mike_75

Mike_75 New Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You can also use some free mobile apps to record statistics. As a coach, I have find apps useful for analyzing game performance. Of course, you need to find a volunteer to record the game since it would require full attention. Recently I have used PreciseStats for Soccer Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.precisestats.soccer

TimB4Last and 108thLegendary repped this.
  9. bgghost

bgghost New Member

Feb 14, 2015
    TimB4Last repped this.
  10. threecents

threecents New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The stats I would like to see deployed more are the player and team performance stats. This would be more the strategic info that only coaches and ATs would have on their team. I would love to put sensors/GPS/accelerometers/heart rate monitors on my teams.

11. threecents

threecents New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    108thLegendary and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. ntoumert

ntoumert New Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow this is a great post. Do you guys think the SPI ratings are done well?

13. Footinmouth

Footinmouth New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Fascinating thread. We've been working on a statistical system that separates stats that are predictive of outcomes vs. those that are descriptive / good to know. For instance, on possession, we found that passes completed has a very low correlation to outcome - except passes not completed in the back third. However, for possession, ball movement forward has a much higher correlation to outcomes - scoring as well as preventing the opposition from scoring.

We are working on putting our full methodology out there - for now, we distilled the outcomes across possession/defense/offense/goalkeeping in to letter grades. We are also working on making the underlying stats available. (Underpinning this is 5+ years of data across Champs League, La Liga, Premier League and MLS)

We would really appreciate feedback and suggestions for improvement as we build out more of the system and website.

http://www.altsports.io/2015/12/08/...-dor-should-be-messi-inspite-of-his-injuries/

14. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EvanJ repped this.
  15. TeriPeter

TeriPeter New Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Club:
    FC Sion
  16. PotatoBoi

PotatoBoi New Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Club:
    AC Bellinzona
    Im too stupid to even grasp what that means

17. Robertoe

Robertoe Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    This last point is how I see the next major development in player data collection - will soon be adopted in the Rules of the Game by FIFA too to officially allow chips etc to be embedded in shirts.

18. Robertoe

Robertoe Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Saw this piece of analysis a few weeks back on the MLS (one of the few leagues that publish salary data) and to me, this is what clubs should be doing.....essentially monitoring performance by cost. If only other leagues would publish this kind of data and the transparency was there, it would be fascinating to see it across the major European leagues.

http://www.thestatszone.com/article...e-best-compared-to-how-much-they-are-spending

EvanJ repped this.
  19. Jiri

Jiri New Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Club:
    BATE Borisov
    Hi guys,

Please take a look at my project l2bet.com. First of all, it’s all free. I have Academic education in the field of psychology and I like to apply psychological andphilosophical facts to the field of betting and creates a whole new perspective for the bettors

20. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since you guys understand statistical information. Why do they keep secondary assists. A pass that leads to another. It just a pass a pass that leads to a goal I can see. But the secondary just adds to his assist total. It means nothing as far as the players field vision is concerned.

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if that questions requires knowledge of statistics to answer. Do any leagues other than MLS keep track of secondary assists? I'm not sure, but it's possible that MLS keeping track of secondary assists should be grouped with drafts and the lack of promotion and relegation as differences between MLS and leagues in most countries. That sentence is not meant to imply a point of view of any of those differences being good or bad.

22. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There was a time when no league kept a record of assists a player made.

There also was a time when the team with the best record won the league champion. There was no playoffs this is an American invention to make more money.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As an official league statistic? There are third parties that compile statistics for the Brazilian league and some of them do track secondary assists.

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Brazilian league had a playoff to determine its champion from the 60s through 2002.

25. Kai Werring

Kai Werring New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC