S8C Planning [9 Nov]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by gofire2001, Oct 29, 2003.

1. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    Section 8(November 9th)

Time for ideas for section 8 on November 9th. We have to do our part while our team does theirs.

2. Well, let's NOT get really drunk on a bus and then get assaulted and removed from the stadium. That's already gotten old.

Any word on the table tops, nest, pyrotechnics, etc?

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Table rolls: Just whatever's left. They are very expensive.

Streamers: There may be a few boxes left...unsure. I have a bad feeling before the first game when stadium amnagement took a bunch of the boxes away and said they'd put them in storage they simply threw them out. Again, expensive.

Pyro: Nope. Nada. Nil. None. Something we may work on for next year. The offseason may give us time also to see if we can get a good price on stuff such as this place offers overseas, as well as coordinate with the stadium SFX crew to satisfy SF management.

Nest/podium/pulpit/shouting ledge: No idea what's going on recently, though I've heard the Fire is still talking to SF management to satisfy their concerns. Originally we were assured we'd have something for the first playoff game, not terribly confident now.

4. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    I'm going to bring a few streamers. If we can get some more people to do this we might get a decent amount.

5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Table rolls: I've found 40" x 150' for $48 a box of 4 ($12 a piece.) How does this compare to the prices you've been getting and is this a comparable item?

Streamers: 81' Red, 12 rolls for $8. That's $0.66 a roll.

Combined we might get a better discount, I don't know.

Also, if the table rolls are 150', could we cut them in half or thirds to extend our purchase? Just covering the lower section would be good enough I think.

EDIT: almost forgot the red glow sticks. They can be had for around $.50 a piece.

6. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Section 8 [Playoff Game 1]

Are we forgetting the rolls of bread??

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Same, no idea on price. ask Marcin.

That doesn't seem bad.

8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Marcin, how much did you pay for the table rolls?

This is the playoffs folks. I'm willing to chip in $100 if a few others will. 12 table rolls will be $150. 500 streamers will be about $350. If we halve the table rolls we can cut costs there. For the streamers, I'll try and negotiate a better price. If we get close I'll help close the gap, but I'll still need a few extra hands to make light work.

I only work 20 hours a week so my funds are limited this year, but I think we all need a good gut check here. A lot of people have contributed throughout the year so how about a few more like me (unemployed all summer) who haven't given much yet this year make a bulk contribution and get this done right.

We may only have one more game this year, no reason to go out with a whimper.

9. Of course we will go with the table rolls, streamers and other stuff.

Streamers can be had for less than 33 cents a piece. Table rolls for less than $5.60. We just need to wait paitiently for the sale.

I need more money and time/helping hands donors though.

Marcin

10. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    By streamers do you guys mean party streamers? I find that Receipt paper the kind they use at a supermarket is cheaper and looks a little better when its tossed.

11. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I recall at the final game at the Old SF vs Galaxy someone bought a box full of the receipt paper for the final game. Although the Fire did not win the game we did get a chance to try and knock the living daylights out Cobi Jones with the paper rolls. Good times!

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    While I agree, it is not allowed in the stadium due to it being too heavy if it doesn't unroll. Please do not bring it.

13. modernpiracy

modernpiracy New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    chicago
    i remember throwing an empty bottle at him. that damn hippie.

14. OK, I have plenty of tickets for Section 8 on Nov. 9th. PM me if you are interested. Tickets to be picked up at tailgate before the game.

15. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Yes, Virginia. There is (according to the BarnBurners website) a tailgate planned for that day.

Starting at 9:30 in the morning at the usual place.

(Huevos rancheros anybody? No, I don't have a clue as to what they might be planning menuwise, so if they don't have heuvos, don't get bent out of shape.)

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Let's start thinking about this in earnest.

Looking good for the mosaic on Sunday, though I'm going to request we fill up the center two sections with someone at every seat to make it work.

Hopefully the goddamn banner will be here Sunday as well.

What else can we do?

We're going to need extra folks to make this work. I want a team of 8 to 10 helping Sunday showing up about 9.30 or 10a.

So, I can count on myself, and Marcin.

That leaves 6-8 more. Who can help, and commit to being there early? The more we have at that time the faster we'll finish and be able to go back into the lot for tailgaiting.

Do we do a march in for this game? I think that's a good idea. Let's make sure we do it a heck of a lot better than last time. No more stragglers.

17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Marcin, you said Party City for the table rolls, but I can't remember where you said the streamers are from.

Please PM me. If I get the message soon enough I'll track down some stuff.

Pre game help. I have no idea. I always come with a group and it's sometimes difficult to get there early. I'll see what's happening this Sunday.

Beer. Enough said.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It's great to drink and all, and I don't want to be too harsh...but when it comes down to it, do you want Section 8 to put on these displays or no?

You can always drink after the game or after we finish if you help. But the fact is Marcin and I and occasionally one or two others can't continue to show up early and set up all of this ourselves. It's not the banners, even, as much as the displays. Distributing streamers and settign up things like table rolls and the mosaic is a lot of work for 2 or 3 guys. With 8 or 10, the load is considerably lessened, we get done faster, and we can go out and have a drink or two and something to eat before heading in.

I think, also, we'll try to do the march in again...it's very important we do this for big matches. I want to hear from people about what they think about doing this, if we can get a good droup together. It was the first game last time and there were glitches, but we have got to be able to do better than the 15 or so we had last time and more like the 50 or 60 or more we had for the season opener when we stopped traffic in Naperville.

19. Streamers should come from Hobby Lobbys. We should talk to the manager to get some discount for large quantities.

20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Beer deserves an honorable mention regardless. I wasn't referring to the actual ingestion of beer.

Everyone appreciates the displays, and I've been quite frank about my inablility to come early and stay late. I try to make up for it with some cash. I've called on others to do the same. I'll help when I can, and everyone appreciates that someone is doing the dirty work.

Many props to you, Marcin and others I don't know about.

21. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gee thanks.

I can't help either, as it would selfishly ruin my tailgating experience and I have to watch my kid. But I really do appreciate the effort you guys put out and will reward you with... beer!

22. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Understandable, and I hope you understand that was a general concern on my part, and not solely directed at you guys (who indeed more than make up for it in other ways).

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Can someone make at least a quick spraypainted bedsheet banner with a loaf of bread displayed on it? And maybe an '8' painted on the loaf? :)

24. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    I'll come there early to help out.

25. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ya know...one that says "TIME TO RETIRE" would be handy, for Yucko Ickyscary and Hristo Skillsgone.