S49: England v. USA, 2 July

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2019.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The whole issue and people’s reactions on both sides is funny. So yes.
    [​IMG]

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

jnielsen, Steve Page, W.A.S.P. and 5 others repped this.
  3. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wrong guy, man!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Gary would wipe the floor with any of the current pundits who follow the WWC, especially the ones at Fox if he was allowed by Sky Sports to do so.

As much as I'm not really a fan of England while I'm already biased against the USWNT by design, I would prefer England to make it through. First of all, that would mean a final with potentially 2 newcomers at that high level (if the Dutch make it through). Second, that would mean a culmination of efforts by England to improve the women's program. Third, it would show to all that the FA WSL may well be the best women's league in terms of competitiveness at this point in time, which would be appealing for players who want to improve the caliber of their respective national teams.

As for the match, it will be a tight affair. However, the kind of players England have may be the perfect kind of physical and skill match-up they need to beat USA. France couldn't beat USA because they chose to overcontrol the ball and play slowly instead of playing faster and shooting on sight, but England won't hesitate to go fast and shoot on sight when they see a chance. The big question for England is how the back 4 will react, but it appears that Karen Bardsley always find a way to bail her teammates out of jail when she has to.

Romario'sgurl, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah cause we totally wouldn’t have been criticized if the US staff were caught receiving a tour of the hotel for the Final match 3 weeks in advance. :laugh:

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. :ROFLMAO:

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MiLLeNNiuM and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're laughing with, not at...right? :p

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  9. When you're old as I am you will find out you set out to do something and later realising you completely forgot something very obvious, but it also happens with younger people doing/combining a routine thing with an added task.
    In some cases it can become very dangerous. Often a dad who goes on his routine travel to work, but occasionally combines that with dropping of his toddler at the daycare, in his routine mode/mental cruise control can completely forget he has the toddler on board and tragically leaves it behind in the car.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that took a dark turn

JimWharton, jnielsen and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. Sorry.
    Sometimes very enthusiastic to show connections:(

soccernutter and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, seriously, I didn't think you were THAT old!

13. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why was I thinking this match was on Thursday?!? I was about to come in here and whine about waiting 3 days for a match.

soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  14. :ROFLMAO:
    You're very mean. Take care:D He has cards to hand out;)

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. :ROFLMAO:
    You're lucky you found out it was a different date. Imagine you zapped on Thursday in excited anticipation to the soccer channel:p

blissett repped this.
  16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quite excited for today!

England have nothing to lose and have a realistic chance of knocking out the USWNT. I see a back and forth game with a strong potential for a lot of goals. England don't defend very well and the USA are prone to sloppy midfield mistakes, while they're very good at pressing and can cause quite a bit of havoc. Someone mentioned Karen Bardsley bails England out, but numerous times she has nearly costed us a goal by her very poor ball skills. Unless she's on the end of tap ins or set pieces, Rapinoe shouldn't be a huge factor by having to go up against Bronze and Parris since she probably won't have a ton of energy. I'm worried that Alex Morgan is due for a big game though. My hope is that England will be pretty direct when they get across midfield and challenge the USA goal. Kirby, Walsh, and Scott will need to be at their best while Parris and Bronze need to continue what they've been doing on the right hand side.

17. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch...

18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I’d say 70/30 US

But if England could get the first goal then things might get spiced up :whistling:

19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say it's more like 50-50. It'll be a battle.

jnielsen, Kakeru and blissett repped this.
  20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Bronze is very strong in attack, likes to come forward on the right--but she will probably have to play more conservatively in this game because Rapinoe tends to hang out at the halfway line and then burst forward when the U.S. gets the ball. She's a cherry-picker and so Bronze might have to be a bit less aggressive, which will benefit the U.S.

England are a bit shaky when they try to play the ball out of the back--Bright has a tendency to give the ball away--and that could bite them in this game against the U.S. high press. If I'm England I'm not messing around too much in the back--welp the ball forward, if need be, and hope your midfield can win balls and get the ball in front of the U.S. goal. England might want to defend and counter the first 20 minutes, knowing that the U.S. will come galloping forward, and then grow into the game.

MiLLeNNiuM and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This confuses me...glutton for punishment?

22. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well, I was going to do my usual complaining about waiting so long btwn matches. That’s because I thought the match was on Thursday.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about your excitement for wanting to watch a match you want both teams to lose. It is almost like you have been reading some Nietzsche lately.

blissett and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  24. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I haven’t done that in years. :p

soccernutter repped this.