Ryan Suarez

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quake87, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Quake87

Quake87 New Member

May 19, 2001
    San Jose
    Just released. Being from Roseville, SJSU alumi, wife from area too... Do you think he could make a return to Spartan with the quakes? The situation can't be that bad. Suarez could be reborn again and not worry about being the team's best defender and having to always play flawless.

2. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no no no no no no and no

he's got a baaaaad attitude

i think he's a liability defensively

3. Quake87

Quake87 New Member

May 19, 2001
    San Jose
    bad attitude because of bad coaches

he did have some horrible laspes this year but i dont think his heart or head is in it. (or anyone on Chivas for that matter)

change of scenery may be a good thing

4. Goquakesgo

Goquakesgo New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    San Jose
    we're already fine in defense, and he's pretty terrible anyway....

5. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    to echo others, no no no and no...

just because he is from SJ doesn't mean he will fit...

he is prone to many bad mistakes due to lack of concentration....

no no no....

6. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do they need a ride from the airport or something? I suppose he could drive the bus.

7. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose can't compete with the money he receives from the Total 90 Headgear endorsement.

You know how Ruiz -- a diver, incessant complainer, and a (former) LA player -- was incredibly annoying, but part of you respected that he was a pretty good player? Take away the skill, and you have Suarez.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who would you take out to put him in?
    he wouldn't even bump cochrane for first defender off the bench.

the money and roster spot could be better spent elsewhere.

9. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    Beautiful! Exactly! What a punk and embarrassemnt to the league. Never liked him, never will. He's like a Nick Garcia, only more annoying.

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suarez plays angry too much. He gets wrapped up in the fouling and payback and losing his focus on the game. I don't want him. He would be a cancer in our happy locker room. Part of what makes our team good this year is that they like each other. They work hard for each other. Suarez wouldn't fit that mold.

And it's no wonder he got tossed. Did you see him yelling at his coach when he got pulled on Saturday? That's a no no!

And the GoatShaggers have to be looking to cut some bodies so they can bring in some real players because they SUCK!!!

I love it! Oh, and did I mention that I thought of something good about having the GoatBangers in MLS? Here it is, now evil, water-stealing, lost angesleze can lose twice in one weekend!! :D

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

11. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Pretty much with everybody else here. IF we were hurting on defense . . . maybe. However,our back line has been solid and Suarez doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would take kindly to being brought in as insurance.

Also, I can't help but think back to when he played for the US at Spartan against Wales. I think he only got the chance because he was serving a red card suspension for the Burn at the time, but still a chance to prove himself. I thought he was very active and played a pretty good game deserving of another look, yet he's never been called back in to the Nats (I don't think, has he?). The Bruce is big on chemistry and attitude, so I think that must play a part in Suarez not being called back.

Yes it's tempting to go after a big name (by MLS standards) when they are available, but I think we ought to pass on this one.

12. hannah8

hannah8 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd rather they sign Joy Fawcett.

[​IMG]

Hannah

13. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Ryan "Bear Hug From Behind" Suarez is World Wrestling Federation material. Don't hijack his career.

14. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Hee hee! Good one Hannah!

15. scumark

scumark New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Fremont, CA
    I just hope a team in the Western Conference picks him up so that the Quakes can play against him four times a year instead of two :)

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, for us and him, this may be a career ender for him. He has played on three teams (Dallas, LA, and Chivas) and has just been cut from the worst team in MLS. Although good centerbacks are always needed, he just doesn't seem to have the right stuff. He will never play for the Quakes because of his attitude, and I doubt many other coaches would have him now.

Well, he can always try playing in Uraguay... :D

17. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if I were coach, I'd put in a pole as a defender before Suarez

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Hmmm.......how about a flashback to last year at this time.

LA Galaxy. First place. Sigi Schimd head coach. Starting centerbacks Danny Califf and Ryan Suarez.

If he truly SUCKS, how did that happen? Sampson is a complete idiot. He's dumped players left and right because he doesn't want "Sigi's" guys. Westerhof absolutely insists on playing with a style that will get his defense lit up game after game. It looks like that got to Suarez and he lost his cool.

Suarez is a hot head who HATES to lose. He was a problem in Dallas because the coach and team just sleepwalked through loss after loss. That ate Suarez up. He tried to do too much. He thugged it up in frustration. He got traded for his attitude.

Funny, but Sigi didn't have all kinds of problems with Suarez. They just won.

I understand people that are wary of a guy with Suarez's past, but several players have had no problem coming to SJ and fitting in. Anyone else remember locker room cancers like Ariel Graziani and Rodrigo Faria? They managed to play in Quake's blue and contribute. I'm not saying that Suarez is the best guy out there, but I'd take him over Steve Jolley (another guy rumored to be let go). He's a better right back than Kelly Gray is and he's also better then Ryan Cochrane in the middle. I wouldn't be worried if he'd come for a low enough salary and be willing to ride the bench and contribute to a CHAMPIONSHIP team. I'm pretty sure that Suarez will be content to play for a team that cares about winning....

19. Moki

Moki Member

Jul 16, 2004
    USA
    LOL, very funny but accurate as hell :D

20. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's hitting below the belt :)

21. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As noted, the team is way too deep in defenders, and with them playing so well he'd be relegated to the reserves. Another local product would be good despite where he's been but right now, won't see Suarez head to back home.

And, Gray has been in the zone since he's arrived here.

Brilliant!

What's up with her nowadays? :p

22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    You go Uruguay and I'll go mine.

Forgiving the obligatory Groucho Marx reference for the moment, but without a pressing need for an additional centerback, why would we take the chance bringing that attitude into the team? And you know how that hurts me to say about a fellow Spartan.

23. Moki

Moki Member

Jul 16, 2004
    USA
    Ryan's not a bad person. I've been watching him play since he was U-14s. If he had left his enormous ego, which he had back then, behind, he might have been a better player today. I don't see anything he can contribute to the Earthquakes.

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moki, all of these guys have big egos. They couldn't step on the pitch if they didn't. You have to believe that you're a stud to lace them up at this level.

That said, Ryan gets angry too easily.

Westerhoff and the GoatShaggers are going to have to adjust to MLS play, or they're going to get ripped more often than not!! But part of their problem is that their offense sucks. They have to push a lot of guys up to manage any sort of possession or ball movement in the opponent's half of the field. Then when they lose the ball they are horribly exposed in the back.

Jeff, I like that Ryan hates to lose. But he tends to get thuggish when his side are losing and that's not ok. And while he played well for FatSigi, he also got away with a lot of fouls in the way that the evil filth get way too much slack from the refs. So with the GoatBangers he got called for his fouls and was exposed as the less than excellent player that he is.

In any case, I wouldn't want Ryan until he's taken a turn in the USL or elsewhere.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

25. Moki

Moki Member

Jul 16, 2004
    USA
    We're not just talking about big egos here, I'm talking enormous beyond the average. And it's beyond ego that makes players have a go. It self confidence in their abilities.

Anger is the product of frustration. As has been pointed out earlier on this thread, Ryan needs to play in a system with certain players around him that suits his abilities otherwise he struggles with most sides.The longer he plays, the more frustrated he becomes and the worst he plays. It's an endless cycle for him. Can some team use him? I would imagine so, but it isn't the Quakes.