Ryan Nelsen to the English Premier League?

Discussion in 'Oceania' started by 1982Kiwi, Nov 18, 2004.

1. 1982Kiwi

1982Kiwi New Member

According to the Washington Post, two Premier League clubs are chasing Ryan Nelsen's signature. Strong rumour on the DC United forum is that one of them is Arsenal.

2. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    who is he?i've never heard of him.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Kiwi captain. Very good player, hope it works out for him.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He went to Stanford. He will probably be the most educated player in the world.

5. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    what position is he?

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Center Half. Not sure if he's quick enough for the Premiership, but he is an EXCELLENT defender. He's speed is the only part of his game that isn't Premiership (if not world) class.

7. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    i think he will first have to go a smaller European club if he wants some game time. He wont get into the first team at the bigger teams straight away. He first needs to proove himself on the higher stage of a first division European club.

8. Buff_K

Buff_K New Member

May 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    this coming from the guy who doesnt even know who he is

9. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Arsenal no, other clubs maybe. good luck to him i say!

10. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    All Whites captain Ryan Nelsen has been given an extended trial at English Premier League soccer club Blackburn Rovers.

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes confirmed the 27-year-old DC United central defender will train will Rovers again this week.

"Ryan's only had a few days with us so far, but he's obviously keen to make an impression. We have asked him to stay for another week," Hughes said.

The former Manchester United and Wales striker Hughes said he wanted to strengthen his squad during the January transfer window.

"But I am not interested in simply bringing bodies in. I am only interested in people I feel could make an immediate impact." Nelsen's hopes of a contract with the northern England club could be enhanced after Blackburn crashed to a 0-1 home defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/0,2106,3118549a6429,00.html

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    If Blackburn needs anything, it's a quality defender.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just glad a lot of players are starting to get noticed out of MLS.

13. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i think they were desparate! lol :D

has he signed for them yet? :eek:

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Why not Arse? If Cygan can play there, who can't. :) Plus he's going to be relatively cheap compared to other players. I'm not saying Arsenal are paupers but they do have some financial shackles with the new stadium and all.

15. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    lol

good point! :D

16. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nelsen offered Blackburn contract - reports

All Whites captain Ryan Nelsen has been offered a permanent contract with English Premier League soccer club Blackburn Rovers, according to newspaper reports.

The Lancashire Evening Telegraph reported yesterday Blackburn manager Mark Hughes would sign the former Christchurch United defender.

Blackburn Rovers would "complete the free transfer signing" of Nelsen when the English transfer window opened on January 1, the newspaper reported.

"(Nelsen) has made enough of an impression during a two-week trial to persuade Hughes to offer him a permanent contract," it said.

Nelsen’s United States-based agent, Lyle Yorks, was quoted in radio reports today as saying details still needed to be worked out - including Nelsen’s UK work permit - before a deal was signed.

Nelsen officially ends his four-year contract with the Washington club, DC United, on December 31.

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=86&ObjectID=9003514

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Re: Nelsen offered Blackburn contract - reports

Well, I hope it works out for him.

18. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    i've been saying all along that he is an EPL quality defender, before this was talked about on this forum.

20. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I thought that he would be destined for EPL, but is the only thing stopping him the work permit? :eek:

21. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Last year the Burn had players from Princeton, Duke, and Brown. Not to quibble, but he's not the only player from a top institution.

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    He's the NZ captain so he's pretty well known in Oceania. A lot of football fans from down here have been keeping an eye on him since before DCU signed him - it was obvious from an early stage that he was going places.

23. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    but the fact is he is 27 by the time an EPL side has been serious to sign him up. That says something about, A) Himself, B) MLS, C) His Age, & D) Oceania the region.

24. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Or that he finished 4 years of Stanford (good long term thing to do), was signed 4 years by MLS out of college and just now is a free agent. If MLS wanted to sell him 2 years ago to Europe, they could have.

25. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    no disrespect to the MLS but i don't see EPL clubs or big top league teams jumping for MLS players regardless of what nationality.

it is NOW OR NEVER for him, simple