Ryan Coiner - Thoughts from Berlin!!!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by coingoal, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck Ryan.

2. US Unioner

US Unioner New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa. USA
    Wishing you and the rest of the guys great success. I really wish I could be chearing you all on in Block G at the Alten Försterei. It should be a spectacular match.
    Beat Herta!
    Ein mal unioner, immer unioner
    Jean-Paul

3. US Unioner

US Unioner New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa. USA
    Wish I was there with Jack and Taylor!

4. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am in Indiana right now, but I occasionally go back to Berlin.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's a good sig to have ... in soccer or WWII forums.

6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, we didn't in WW2, did we?
    (There was no Hiroshima in germany, thank god!)

7. unionjack

unionjack New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Back to topic.

Union lost 3-4 to the Hertha Reserve after leading 2-0 after 10 minutes.
    Then Hertha striker Sahilovic scored 3 and then Ryan scored his second of the night in a goal-of-the-month-way, a falling volley whith his back to the goal. But in the ninetieth, from an idiot defence mistake, Hertha made it 3-4.

8. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    UnionJack, can you tell me more about the 2nd goal????

9. unionjack

unionjack New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    You probably mean Ryan's second goal. He got the ball deep in Hertha's half, only challenged by one defender. he was forced aside to the right, too far actually to seriously try shooting, but managed to maintain posession, and when i personally thought he'd lost the ball, he fell backwards and managed somehow to volley it over both the defender and the goalie. As no-one else from neither side had joined in this attack, losing it or scoring were the only two possibilities. And not only by those two goals, from the working attitude and everything else he's been the man of the match and he wasn't really spoiled by good passes. And I'm saying this although I critizised him before. But it's a crying shame we don't win those matches...

10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Union website said it was an upper 90.

11. unionjack

unionjack New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Since I am not a native speaker of English, what is an 'upper 90'? A goal scored in injury time?

12. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's where the ball goes between the fposten and the latte.

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure I don't have to tell you that scoring is Union's problem. 3rd worst in the B3. 19 goals in 19 games = scheisse.

Good luck, Ryan, in putting the ball in the old onion bag!

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    90 is the geometric angle that forms between the vertical side posts and the horisontal cross bar. "Upper 90" then means either of the top two corners. "Bottom 90" means either of the bottom two.

15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Sounds like a great effort from coinGOAL this week. If only the whole team could start to put it together ... oh well. The reports of that goal should serve well in the search for a new club if that's what it comes down to.

Congrats, Ryan.

16. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    On a really positive note, we are only 4 days away from the much needed Winter Break. I one weeks time I will finally be back with my family in California, enjoying a some great Chistmas meals. I am also really excited about going to my best freinds wedding when I am home, which should be great.
    Last weekend against Hertha (Am) we played a pretty good game. We managed to score 3 goals, which is the best we have done going forward since our second game of the season. (Unfortuante for us was the fact that Hertha (Am) played with 7 profis on the field.)
    I read some of the posts about our defense. This is the story of our year. We simply make too many mistakes in the back. (Combined with a weak offense and midfield, and terrible luck, and blind refs) Our defense as a team is not what it needs to be. We lose the ball at the worst possible moments leading to counter attacks and players out of position. Combine this with the fact that our team is fighting to not get relegated. Nerves fail, the confidence no longer flows, and the other teams smells that fear and punish us.
    Furthermore,
    Our second coach so far this season quit today. He simply decided that he is not the man for the job, since our results are not adequate. We lost yesterday 2-0 to a fourth div team in the Berlin Pokal (Open Cup qualifiers). After the game there was rioting---fighting between Police Officers and our fans, and our fans against the other teams fans. It is truly a low point in our clubs great History. I am so sad to be a part of it.
    Thanks again for all the supprt from all of you.

Coiner

17. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA
    Ryan, thanks for all of your updates, we are pulling for you and Berlin. Just curious, what type of media coverage has there been of the Pacers/Pistons incident? And, what is the general opinion of the locals regarding this incident as it relates to American sports?

Best wishes and look forward to seeing you play in person one day ;)

18. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck Ryan and thanks for keeping us up to date!

19. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am not Ryan, but as far as I noticed there wasn't any coverage at all about that incident. So, there wasn't any public response to it neither. I guess it needs someone getting serious injured so that the media here at least writes it down anywhere. And, being honest, I don't think it is that big of a deal, I'v heard from similair things while I was over there, from Hockey and Baseball (Sox vs yankees - I was near Boston). And, to be honest, for example what was going on in Boston after the Pats one the world bowl is far more shocking. I sort of understand that ppl get raging when their team looses or play bad or someone is not nice to your fans, but if you win the championship you don't do riots. You celebrate with anyone, including the police... ;-)

The NBA incident is not that big of a deal imo. ppl get fined yes, and should get, but there's no need to cover it on national TV. Same with nipplegate ;-). I mean thousends of ppl get killed in war and stuff every day and you send big reports because someone's boob could be seen for a second or because some ppl beat each other up at a sports game? American media is weird, I'll leave it to that ;-)

Ok, back on topic: @ Coiner: This must be a really unhappy situation for you guys at the moment. But I am sure that Union won't die, and just look at Leibzig or Wimbledon, with die-hard fans a club won't die. This is bad for you though, as you wanted to advance having moved from Bielefeld, and this situation isn't an advance as I see it. Best of luck for you in the future, and don't give up all hope. Union is quite a sympathic team imo, you CAN do it.
    Kämpfen!
    And your fans earn a lot of respect from me, even at those hard times they still support Benny (@ the yanks;-) :a fan of the city rival hertha who has leukemia and might die soon. Union supporters where one of the first to support him, bring ppl to get their blood tested and collected money)
    Eisern Union!
    cu Squig

20. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Squid,
    You have a great perspective. i know you are German, so check out our website and you can read about some stuff. www.unionberlin.de
    Our club has said that they distance themsleves from the actions of the fans.
    Besides that, we do have some of the coolest fans on the planet.
    Eisern Union!

21. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Hey, knowing that Union fans are reading this board now, you have to say that!
    Wouldn't want them Union fans to be mad at me either. :D

I really appreciate your post on your experiences in German soccer.

I know the league you are playing in has some very dark sides to it, especially the fans which are a little bit tougher than you're average Bundsliga supporters.

Hope that doesn't make it too hard for you to like Germany nevertheless.

I wish you all the best and hope you can help Eisern Union fight it's way back up the standings.

22. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Wish us luck.
    We are set to begin our journey to play our last game before the break. We are playing a team we beat 4-2, in the second game of the season. We are going with a depleted squad. Our captain pulled his quad and our leading assist man sprained his ankle. Also, our other forward was suspended yesterday.
    However, if there is a team that is beatable under these conditions, it is Wuppertal. So we will go in there and give them hell!

23. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA
    Go get 'em, Ryan!!! Tell your boys they have support from across the pond, too...

24. US Unioner

US Unioner New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa. USA
    Good luck to you and the team tomorrow Ryan. We'll be cheering from the midwest!
    Eisern Union!

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Whup Wuppertal!