Ryan Coiner - Thoughts from Berlin!!!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by coingoal, Nov 29, 2004.

1. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Well, since you guys found my first post interesting, I will give my friends here at Big Soccer insight into life here with Union Berlin.

*****Things are not pretty*****

We have officially ended the first half of the season, our position in the table is 18 out of 19. We are currently 8 points behind the first team that is not in the relegation zone. They have 21 points to our 13 points.
    Tonight the club has called an emergency meeting to try and gather more money to buy more players during the winter break. *The club is already between 9 and 15 million Euros in debt. The club is out of money and if the sponsers don't contribute the needed money to continue operations, we could fold in a matter of weeks or even days. While this is not likely, it is possible. I will keep you all posted as I learn more.
    Personally, I have had a very difficult last two games. I don't ever recieve the ball to my feet or in stride, only to my head at midfield. It seems that we have actually gotten worse, somehow, in our play. We have been outclassed in play in every possible way. It is as if nobody on our team even remembers how to make a simple pass, or build triangles on the field. We simply don't have the confidence to play out of the back, then to the midfielders, and then build an attack.
    With all that said, I am still very hopefull that I will somehow be able to knock in at least 5-10 more goals before the season is over. That should be enough to give myself a chance to move up next season to the 2nd league, or at least a 3rd div team fighting for promotion. If not, oh well, but it is quite possible. The way things are going, I will be changing teams again after this season because my contract is only for the 3rd and 2nd leagues. Time will tell. Maybe I can even hookup with some other Yanks Abroad after this season. I know ther are plenty. Anyway, till next time I feel inspired or really frustrated...
    Coiner

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hey Ryan...thanks for the shout. No doubt things WILL get better, one way or the other.

You probably know, but Elversberg is coached by Goulet (Yank) and has dot.com Mason (EuroYank). They are challenging for promotion. Might be an interesting side for you. Also, lot of Yanks playing in Norway/Denmark these days too (check the boards).

But you probably know your way around better then us (or me at least!)

We'll be keeping fingers crossed....

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Good luck dude, but I'm not sure venting on a public message board is a good idea. :D

We're all rooting for you, though.

Sachin

4. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    thanks for the heads up. I just thought most readers would like to see the other side of the coin, not just the games, goals, and results, but rather what is actully going through a players head in situations like these. I am surprisingly at peace about the whole situation. Ask Mr Yanks Abroad, Dave, I used to complain to him all the time last year.
    I would love Union to turn it all around, cus I like the fans and the city. Rather, I am just filling you all in on the reality of the situation. thanks again for your tip, you are a 100% correct. I will be careful not to vent anymore....

in public places!!!

5. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight and we wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season!

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't be such a FOOL.

Sachin

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sorry I haven't been there for ya, buddy... Something about having a job... Quite an inconvenience! Good luck for the rest of the season and keep us posted.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't get me wrong, we'd love to hear about it, as we're all total SoccerNewsSluts, but I know that at least 3 MLS GMs read these boards, a number of players, and probably more than a few head coaches. I just don't want this being thrown back in your face.

When I hire people, along with the background check, I usually Google them. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sachin

9. BG001

BG001 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ryan,

Keep your head up man! As long as you play well, someone will see you and give you a chance to move up.

BG001

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, if this is of any help for you, judging from what i saw on TV and what i have heard from others, i thought you were quite good when you played against us. It's a shame you didn't win against Uerdingen, that would have been great (for both of us actually ;)).

I guess you'll have a sold out game on sunday?

11. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    To Dave, thanks for everything. You have always been there for all of us. Thanks.

to the rest of you, thanks for the support and tips.

I actually just got a very encourging call here concerning my future. so thanks again to all of for your support of all us crazy yanks living in other countries playing the worlds game.

12. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    The only sold out game we had all year was when Bayern Munich came to town. Our attendence reached a season low last game. It should help that we are playing Hertha's amatuers next weekend. I expect around 5,000.

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually I think it is good that some players actually post in a soccerboard, especially when it comes from germany ;-)
    keep up the good work, nice to read from you, don't listen to the trolls and best for you in the future Ryan ;-)
    O, and what do you think about 'Helft Benny!'?

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Are you sure you're not playing in MLS?

15. socceriscoolusa

socceriscoolusa New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Sounds like 90% of the MLS teams!

I've heard that since germany switched to an all pro 3rd division that the 3rd division is a very high level with some teams challenging for the cup title in past years. Stay put.

16. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    Do you know Tom Schnider? If so, how is he doing?

He lived with me for awhile as part of an exchange student program.

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey Ryan ,
    its always nice to hear from you
    Good Luck, keep up the good work

soccerfan,

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan, you are living a dream. I know I would drop everything in a heartbeat to play professionally. While things may not be going your way team wise, I have been reading about the wonderful season you are having. While it may be hard for Union to dig its way out of the hole, keeping playing to the best of your abilities and someone will notice. The play and recognition of Yanks abroad have come a long way the last few years and we have guys like you to thank. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off. Keep us updated!!

19. andrewt14

andrewt14 Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Atlanta
    Thanks for posting Ryan.

Good luck

20. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I want to thank all of you for your support, encouragement, and advise.

I recently got contacted by somebody very upset with me for posting, because it sounded like i don't care about my club, Union Berlin.

I do.

I hope we stay up. I hope we start winning. I hope the team starts to play better. I hope I can start playing better.

Just so you all know, I am thinking about the future, but I not shopping for a new club yet. I have a job to do, that is to try to help Union. Wish me luck. Its gonna be a tough run till the end of the season.

21. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ryan, I think everything you said are known facts to everyone. Everyone from the Union coach to their president has said things are not pretty and there is a serious threat of relegation. Nevertheless, thanks for posting and I look forward to watching your next Union game.
    Taylor

22. unionjack

unionjack New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Nevertheless I am the one to wish you the most luck of all, that's for sure.

Eisern Union!

@taylor - see you on sunday at 2pm :cool: ...

23. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    I wouldn't take that too seriously, it's not like you're giving away next weeks line up or something. There are lots of other players posting on message-boards of their clubs. I know for example Kevin Hofland is still posting on the PSV-board every now and then although he plays at Vfl Wolfsburg now.
    As long as the club doesn't mind or a mob of supporters starts chasing you with pitchforks and torches through the streets of Berlin I wouldn't be bothered with 1 negative reaction.
    I think most people here are interested in your life as a "yank abroad"!

:)

24. US Unioner

US Unioner New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa. USA
    Ryan,

As an American fan of FC Union I wish you and the team the best this weekend. I'll be reading the game threads on www.fan-forum.de. A win against Herta A would be huge. Really, it is a must.
    I saw the devisating sadness of the end of last season while in Berlin. Being a Red Sox fan I thought I knew sorrow. To a great degree yes, but at the level of relegation... no. Trust me... you don't want to see that.

I wish you and the team great success.
    Immer Eisern Union!
    Jean-Paul

25. coingoal

coingoal New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    That is so cool to see that there are Union Fans in America.
    Wir kämpfen zum Ende!