Rusty Pierce Training with Mainz 05

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by todd11, Nov 30, 2004.

1. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies if this has already been posted. The link comes from the Mainzer Allgemeine newpaper, but I found it in the Mainz fan forum, where this link to the article goes. Scroll down to the last paragraph. Essentially he's only training, and has traveled at his own expense. Rev fans correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he play centrally this past year? The article mentions he's a right sided defender. Mainzer fans want to know what he's all about. I remember him mostly as a rugged man marker who's not much with the ball at his feet. Is this correct?

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    do they want someone to try and take the edge off casey????

cause i think rusty would just piss him off even more

3. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Rusty needs to work on his distribution, he is feared and reviled by everyone except Revs fans. And that is the highest compliment a defender can get.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Geez, are we entering the late 80s Hyundai period of Yanks Abroad? (inferior products, bad quality passed off as good?)...

Seriously, good luck to Rusty and any YA, but would be ein "Blauen Wunder" if this stuck...

5. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's Mathis training with Hannover, and then there's Jamil Walker training with Celtic. This falls in the latter category.

6. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Except Rusty's out of contract, cpwilson. He's trying to win a deal.

And he may be overly physical, but I'd take Rusty on my team on every day of the week, and twice on Saturday. I think the Bundesliga may be tailor made for his skills set.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    RE: Jamil Walker

Even that's being generous. Did it say what kind of training? We are talking about soccer here right? Not something else?

8. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    What skill set?

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I just don't see it, but OK, stranger things have happened. In any case, good luck to Rusty.

11. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'd say BL2 is tailor made for his skill set, and I don't think that's splitting hairs...

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Gotta agree with the Buff-man on this one.

Being out of contract makes one appealing to a lot more teams. And, Rusty isn't the most popular or skilled player but he's one tough SOB and that mentality is coveted on a lot of teams, both in MLS and outside of it. Teams that don't have it, want it and if Rusty can find a team that needs it, he can find a home.

He ain't pretty but he's effective.

I won't be at all surprised if he latches on somewhere in Europe.

13. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    I don't agree with MF a lot, but he hit it straight on the head.

Rusty just needs to stay healthy, that's all. He can contribute very well on a club level.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strong, good in the air, mean, experienced and not too slow. I think there are a few defenders in Germany who have that same skill set.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not very good. He would not have started for DC, for example. He wouldn't have started for KC. But superdave, you're saying, those were the two best teams in the league, that's a pretty high standard.

Rusty Pierce wouldn't have started for the MetroStars, and their defense sucked. He wouldn't have started for the Crew.

Rusty Pierce is a below average starting central defender in MLS. In a league which takes persistent infringement more seriously than MLS (which would be EVERY FRIGGIN' LEAGUE IN THE WORLD) he won't help your team win (unless your team is in BL.2. trying to avoid the drop to the regionalliga.)

Really, it's one thing to judge him in MLS. He's not that good. But in a league which properly punishes PI, I don't see how he can help a team, unless that team well and truly sucks to begin with.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, let me try again. Buff and Sandon are right, the guy has some defensive abilities. The problem as I see it is he's lazy and will commit a foul in a heartbeat, rather than use those abilities. In MLS, we don't take persistent infringement too seriously as a cardable offense, but in a league which punishes PI, Rusty either is going to have to change his game (and who knows if he is capable?) or he's going to be useless, as he'll have a yellow by halftime as often as not, which takes away the very aggression which is his main positive.

17. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bill Laimbeer of MLS. Good for the kid, being a UNC-G alumni, it is cool to see former players doing well.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might add that Rusty is no longer a Rev anyway, he was picked up by Real Salt Lake in the Expansion Draft.
    FYI

19. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

Gotta agree with sd on this. I don't know if he's lazy, in fact I don't think that's the case at all. I just think he fouls a lot because his feet are slow and he's a half beat behind mentally.

And that's going up against MLS players. I just don't see him as a BL-level defender. At all.

Let's contrast him with a guy like Gregg Berhaulter. There's a guy that uses positioning and toughness to craft a very solid (if rather underwhelming) European career. And, let's be honest, a LOT of folks here and on USMNT criticize him to no end.

Rusty Pierce is not nearly as good as Gregg.

20. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Don't think he cares about all that.

BL.2 pays more than MLS in most cases.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he is a way,way better player than he is given credit for on BS.I am really upset if the Revs lose him.I think he had like 3 cards this year- he is very tough but rarely takes unnecessary cards anymore.He is literally the only player in MLS who can play Landon Donovan man to man.He NEVER loses concentration.

22. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Bruce, you do know that the Revs have already lost Rusty? Even if he doesn't sign in Germany, Real Salt Lake owns his MLS rights now after drafting him in the recent expansion draft.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yeah, I know and I am upset about it

24. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I didn't think that bit of well known info slipped by you, just that your post is worded sort of goofy. Btw, I'm with in that Rusty's game is well suited to the German style. Sure he's not going to impress anyone with his ball skills, but his physical play, demeanor, and his ability to get on strikers nerves or get under their skin will come in handy.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I guess I have npt accepted that the Revs might not still get him back.He is a very good marker.He is a much better player than people realize.