Russian thuggery in the stands and before the England game.

Discussion in 'Euro 2016' started by goliath74, Jun 11, 2016.

?

How should UEFA handle this situation?

1. Eject Russian team from Euro

23.5%
  2. Heavy fine for Russian Football Union but nothing else

2.9%
  3. Forcible removal of large groups of Russian fans from Euro 2016

17.6%
  4. Larger police presence at Russia games, including surrounding Russian fans with police cordons

17.6%
  5. Stripping Russia of WC 2018

20.6%
  6. Stripping Russia of a point earned through England draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No penalty of any kind?

17.6%
  8. Other penalty (suggestions encouraged)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The only sensible course of action is to strip Marseille of their next games. ;)

Boloni86 and LorneMarvello repped this.
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It's quite amazing on Twitter how proud they are for beating up fat middle age drunks and nicking flags from around pubs and having photographs upside down as some kind of trophy! It's really quite pathetic as like you say non of our firms were even there by all accounts.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I also read a testiment from a Russian hooligan who claimed that they would team up with their Ukrainian 'brothers' as he put it to attack the Polish whores as he said! I guess you're the man to ask but I found it hard to believe that in the current political nature between Russia and Ukraine that would indeed even happen? I find the hole thing rather disturbing to be honest.

4. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    And for that occasion (the flare in qualifying) the opposing team was assessed a penalty. Russia must suffer some sort of a tournament penalty.

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I read a tweet from a Russian JOURNALIST that was basically relaying the threat to mess up the Poland - Ukraine match. That is truly scary. We're not even talking hoolies here.

And, to answer your question - NO. I can not imagine, in a current political climate, any sort of cooperation of Russian and Ukrainian fans against the Polish fans. If anything, Poland are, right now, Ukraine's most reliable ally against Russia. And the history of hate between the Russian and Ukrainian ultras firms goes back to late 1970s.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Not only that, we have a Russian FA official condoning the violence and urging them to "keep it up".

7. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    If the article below is right, then the official Russian delegation appears to contain a far-right activist with close links to the government and who has been identified by Fare as being very close to the ultras.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...016-russian-fa-alexander-shprygin-nazi-salute

8. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That garbage has got to end. English FA was thrown into the wilderness for three years in the 1980s. Russians should suffer the same fate.

10. Cuulio

Cuulio New Member

Apr 29, 2016
    I would be surprised If we don't see anymore hooliganism in this tournament. Hopefully I am wrong.

11. Thomas1930

Thomas1930 Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

Yep I've read that as well. I could not imagine Russians and Ukrainians joining forces. That "journalist' (if we can really call him that) must be on some serious drugs. I hope it will be a safe game for everyone that day. If anything, I expect Poles and Ukrainians to stick together against the Russians but you never know. Unfortunately idiots are born everywhere, no matter what country you're from :(

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    On my mind, I am "hoping" for more violence tomorrow(God, please forgive me for saying this). This is the only way where the Russians would be punished.

* I seriously doubt the UEFA would do anything about it. I want to prove myself right that the UEFA won't do anything bout it.

13. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I am hearing that UEFA leveled a SUSPENDED disqualification penalty to Russia and a $150K fine. So, if this is true - UEFA, once again, failed to punish Russia.

The only positive is we are likely not going to see anymore fan violence. Russians are going to police themselves, and throw the worst of them back out of France. Otherwise the disqualification may become UNsuspended.

14. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    me too, they always come down on the english, they hate us, its why im voting leave.
    and i will tell you now if they kick the english out of europe expect the brexit team to get a huge boost

Excape Goat repped this.
  15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We will see if the Russians can behave themselves.

16. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They have been stopping russian coaches, they are looking for 29 ultras they are planning to deport them

Excape Goat repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well according to this, if accurate we might be in for a spot more bother over the next few days!

Excape Goat repped this.
  18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Anyway, I just reread UEFA's statement. It seemed that Russia would only be punished if their fans misbehave in the stadium. So they could destroy Lens and Lille if they want to.

evil_allan repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    TBF that seems like a fair punishment to me. As long as they carry through with their warning should anything further happen.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I assume they mean with their pro-Russian 'brothers'.

21. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    looks like russians tried to start trouble in lille today

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the Russians is that they fight sober. Drunks are as likely to harm themselves as anyone else.

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A person told me that the violence at Euro 2016 was a part of the Russian plot to influence the EU referendum. It wanted to create a feeling of indifference between the British fans and the rest of Europe. Europe(the UEFA) is not acting on the interests of the English fans, that person pointed out. This would lead to an isolation.

I have NO idea if his theory makes sense or not. I thought the Russian hooligans would have attacked the English fans, regardless of re referendum. They have been attacking other fans at Euro 2012 anyway. So they are grouped with the English fans!

I did google the topic. I found this:
    http://theconversation.com/euro-2016-could-turn-eu-referendum-result-upside-down-60871

Some believed that if England did well at Euro 2014, it would create a feeling "that the country is different to the rest of Europe, and strong and capable enough to go it alone". It would be interesting to read how people associated the tournament to politics.

24. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Sounds like a stretch to me, to tell you the truth...

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know... too many conspiracy theorists and journalists who wanted to make a name.