Rush Limbaugh is a big fat racist!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by wu-tang beez, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Mike, meet Vince Young.

[​IMG]

Vince, meet my new avatar bitch.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    (As I said in Other Sports)

Next up for Rush... How Adolph Rupp's Christian values helped him in his fight against the terrors of integration, how Bill Russell went along for the ride on those 60s Celtics teams, and why Jeffrey Dahmer is really a martyr.

This will work out well for Rush's Reich. Not enough people consider this an offensive enough statement (translation: they share his mindset) to remove him. If he does get a pink slip, he'll blame the librul media.

3. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    If you are an Mouse shareholder, you think what Rush said is absolutely brilliant.

Imagine what the Nielsen ratings are going to be for the next telecast, as pretty much the entire country tunes in to see if he says anything as stupid.

My only fear is that MLS will see what the ratings are for the next ESPN show with Rush. We'll see Anne Coulter or Al Sharpton next to Ty Keough.

4. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This could only help Ty.

5. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    I heard the comment live and was moderately shocked, then was puzzled why no one challenged Rush, then I put it in the back of my mind and thought no further of it.

Rush's comment says more about Rush Limbaugh than it says about the "media". And the coverage and reaction to Rush's comment says more about the "media" than Rush's actual comment says about the "media".

What this all says is... I don't know. My theory is that Rush Limbaugh was, consciously or unconsciously, setting bait. "All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community." from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/10/01/mcnabb.reax.ap/index.html

To me, Rush's analysis would draw the same reaction as the complaint about the NBA drafting Europeans because they're white.

6. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    This thread got me thinking about black quarterbacks generally, so, having nothing better to do, I found some articles. Figured I'd pass them along. Not endorsing or condemning any of them, but figured some of you might find them interesting. I've always found this topic interesting. Ever since seeing a "Gimme a Break" episode where the crotchety old guy says about football "Aw, it's just a bunch of white guys throwing the ball to a bunch of black guys."

http://www.blackvoices.com/sports/001230la_blackqbs2.html

http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/99apr19/sports4.html

http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col/barra/2002/01/23/qbs/

http://www.jonentine.com/reviews/az_republic.htm

http://63.147.65.175/scolumns/paige0112.htm

http://dir.salon.com/news/sports/2001/01/06/quarterbacks/index.html

7. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    oh the memories come flooding back

Do you remember the episode when Nell Carter was dating I think Tony Dorsett, and the Chief told him not to carry the ball like a loaf of bread?

those were the days.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Being able to throw a 5 yard pass to Priest Holmes out of the backfield who then busts another 15 yards on the ground sure isn't a weapon. Or throwing to Tony Gonzalez.

I'm an Eagles fan and I would rather have Johnnie Morton and Eddie Kennison as my wideouts than James Thrash and Todd Pinkston.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Rush has a lil' problem with pills.

10. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that Isiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman?
    http://laurea.topcities.com/r/white.html

11. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    Carter's stats right now, as of 3 whole games:

51/95 (53.7%), 754 Yards (251 YPG), 2 TD, 3 INT, 4 fumbles, 1 fumble lost, 73.8 QB rating

If these type of numbers send one to the Pro Bowl in the NFC, they have the most pathetic group of QB's imaginable.

That being said, he's certainly putting up far superior numbers than McNabb is:

55/111 (49.5%), 506 yards (169 YPG), 0 TD, 3 INT, 4 fumbles, 2 lost, 51.1 QB rating

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has just announced the resignation of the big fat idiot.

13. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    he throws ducks

what are you smokin?

14. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    As a former sports reporter, I'm shocked -- shocked! -- that accessible, candid, intelligent athletes of any skin color are liked by reporters.

BTW, did I ever mention that I'm a big fan of Tom Ackerman?

15. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Me too. I really dig his band, Sunday's Best. Much better than his previous band, Skiploader.

That's weak that Rush resigned. I wonder if he was under pressure from Disney.

16. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Rush has expressed racist feelings on his radio show. The one that comes to mind most was when he told a black caller one time to "take the bone out of your nose and call me back." In any case, Rush was using code to put down McNab and had Rush not quit, ESPN would have had to fire him with all the backlash.

I will be anyone that on his show on Thursday he will be screaming that his free speech rights have been violated. Funny how these right-wing people schreech this crap when they say the most racist and out of bounds commments while they are trying to suppress the voices of liberal people.

Bill Q.

www.thefirealarm.com

17. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    My dad's a dittohead. He and I don't get along too well.

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I thought we were past all that skin color stuff." - Donovan McNabb

"The Detroit Lions have been fined for not interviewing any black coaches before hiring Steve Mariucci." - NFL officials

I did paraphrase both statements, btw.

The NFL coaching interview policy does demonstrate that the NFL and media has a vested interest in black coaches doing well though, IMO.

Now back to the story at hand, I read again this morning about all the usual suspects who were calling for Rush to be fired, but were one-upped when Rush (was fired) resigned. Poor Rev. Al Sharpton had this big rally all paid for...err.. planned and now he has nothing to grandstand about. Then there was all the other people who were talking about how Rush shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I knew that they were just waiting for something even close for them to pounce on. This is so far away from Jimmy the Greek, John Rocker, Jeremy Shockey, Garrison Hearst, and the grandaddy of them all (who happened to get a free pass) - Dusty Baker. Double standards there may be, but that's the way it goes these days...

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New York Daily News is using The National Enquirer as a source. LOL!!!

21. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    We just ask for some grip on reality over here. If you don't like it, go back to the fantasyland of the United boards where Roy Keane is a good guy and Alf Haaland had it coming.

Rush engages in scornful hate speech for most of his public life, and we're supposed to be surprised when he stumbles into racist remarks? Given time, he would have pigeonholed McNabb as the son of a welfare queen. Fortunately, he's as gone as a wild goose in winter, but will receive the solace of millions of blue-eyed believers back in his radio studio.

22. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I happened to be at the Philly Buffalo game that day, and it only made it even more difficult for me to answer the purely football question, is McNabb overrated based on Rush's point about the defense.

Leaving race completely aside, I think a case can be made that he is. Philly's defense completely shut down the Bills, and the game clinching play was a running play, not a pass. OTOH McNabb did make some key plays during the game.

This is a debate that you can have about Troy Aikman, or McMahon. It is difficult when a team has success because of an excellent defense to judge the quarterback.

So let's put this in perspective. The issue that all of the commentators were discussing was how a team that went to the NFC championship game last year could start off 0 - 2. I think saying that it is because the defense carried the team, and their quarterback was overrated is not controversial. So if you accept that it was truly his opinion that McNabb was overated, I don't think it is racist for him to say that it may be because sports people want to see a black quarterback succeed. I do think it was polically oriented and it was probably not smart for Rush to bring that type of issue up, knowing full well that people out there were waiting to ponce on him for brining politics into a sports show.

I know I personall would love to see more African American soccer players have success in order to grow the sport in this country, and if someone accused me of overating an African American, based on that desire, I wouldn't think they were racist, and I truly would have to see if I wasn't doing that.

I think that, as some pointed out, this issue might be more relevent with African American coaches today, than with quarterbacks, so Rush is probably wrong, but it seems to me that he is entitled to his opinion without being called names.

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The media has no vested interest in seeing black coaches do well. Ray Rhodes in Green Bay and Philly, Tony Dungy in Tampa, and Dennis Green in Minnesota are examples of how the local media ran them out of town just as quickly as they would have a white coach.

Regarding the NFL's desire to see black coaches "do well" -- you are confusing "do well" with "get interviews". Meanwhile, they are a private organization and have the right to set their interview policies as they see fit to run the business. If you think that Augusta Nat'l has the right to exclude women, then you have to agree that the NFL has the right to promote an affirmative action interview policy for its member teams' head coaches. If you have a problem with the NFL's policy, boycott them.
    You think this was Rush acting unilaterally on principle? Grow up a bit, son.
    Yeah, and it was going to end with Hillary sucking his cock on stage. Get over yourself.
    He shouldn't have. If anything, his comments on Sunday show that he has little football knowledge beyond the jacknuts who wait on hold for three hours to spew about something stupid on sports radio nationwide. Those people aren't offered ESPN analyst jobs, either.
    So? The GOP used the Enquirer as a source throughout Clinton's campaign.

24. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps he is, perhaps he's not. That's something that can be debated reasonably. The thing that got Rush in trouble, though, is that he said McNabb is overrated because he's black. Anyone who has spent more than ten minutes listening to WIP in Philly can tell you that that's just asinine.

25. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I guess you weren't watching closely enough when Troy carved up your team in two straight Super Bowls.