Rumsfeld: "I'm just like Churchill!"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Aug 29, 2002.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Remember when the Beatles declared themselves bigger than God? It was the beginning of the end.

3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumsfeld is just like Churchill - he's white, he smells like old cigars, and he sports a political ideology that's been irrelevant for 50 years. With any luck he'll be run down by a rogue cement-mixer in the next week or so.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You forgot paranoid obsessive cod-imperialist with a drink problem.

Churchill, that is. But hey, if Rumsfeld said it ...

5. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Yeah, the "Iraqi War Machine" is totally comparable to the Axis Powers....

6. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Rumsfeld is an illegiment child too.

7. capt. america

capt. america Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Boston, MA
    yeah, what's the big deal? this saddam guy seems alright, well if you look aside from the thousands of people he's killed and tortured.

here's a reference point that is almost 99% accurate. if the president or leader of a country wears a military uniform or fires guns in front of crowds, they're bad. we don't need them.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > here's a reference point that is almost 99%
    > accurate. if the president or leader of a country
    > wears a military uniform or fires guns in front of
    > crowds, they're bad. we don't need them.

I don't know. Usually it is America's style to put these guys into power, not take them out.

9. capt. america

capt. america Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Boston, MA
    yeah of course, that way it keeps us moving, you know gotta stay on top of our game.

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sounds like you haven't seen the "dictators in uniform who we've thrown billions of dollars at" list.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Even though you guys bring up valid points, Rumsfeld-Churchill parallel fails because the Tories did not assist in Hitler's rise to power.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found the list. Entry number four reads:

Hussein, Saddam. Ba'ath party security officer who came to power in the mid-late 60s through the ruthless implementation of assassination and torture in the form of blasting Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made For Walkin'" outside the compounds of political rivals. Distinguishing features are the large, bushy mustache; large, not-so-bushy pile of dead Kurds; and the large, George Bush-shaped monkey clinging to his back.

Likes: Chemical warfare, old Burt Bacharach records, long walks on the beach at sunset, invading geographical neighbors, the Nixon administration.

Dislikes: Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Islamic fundamentalism, the Bush family, Apache Attack Helicopters, sudden sandstorms out of the east, Oliver North, nationwide rebellion.

Where you'll find him on a Friday night: Down at Ahmed's Camel Barn Spit-n-Save or at Baghdad Billy's All-You Can Eat Buffet.

Everything I know I learned from: "Bonanza" reruns, CIA handbooks, and Jimmy Cagney films.

Evil Rating: 8.8

Wow. Pretty in depth stuff, eh?

13. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Oh great, our secretary of state just Godwinned himself.

14. LongJohn

LongJohn New Member

Nov 23, 2001
    nicey

ooOOooOooooooooh

he sounds dreamy!

Who's contestant number two?

15. TRC Real Sociedad

TRC Real Sociedad New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Long Beach CA
    When un-military men talk to military men.

The whole Bush administration gets nervous when they have to talk in front of the military, I think it has to do with all the flashbacks they get about dodging the draft. It's scary when the guys in the whitehouse who are pushing military action, HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE MILITARY!, and no, the national guard does not count.

16. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    Re: When un-military men talk to military men.

Last I checked the National Guard was wearing a uniform and doing time in Afghanastan. I think they were also in Desert Storm too. I think they also did time in Vietnam. Not every National Guard Unit gets called up. They only call up the ones that bomb friendlies.

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bush the Younger was specifically placed in a unit that had no chance of going to Vietnam. This unit was famous as a hiding place for the kids of rich and powerful Texans (like Benson).

Cheney used 3 student deferments to get out of Vietnam.

Ashcroft got student deferments, and when he graduated he got a rare occupational deferment (his critical job being a business teacher in a state university, a job given to him be family connections).

Tom Delay has two stories as to why he didn't serve in Vietnam. First, all the black kids looking for money crowed out patriotic white people like himself. Second, his wife urged him not to go.

Dick Armey got a college deferment.

Richard Pearle has never been in the military.

18. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was on article in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid) written by a posh twat. But anyway, he said that Rumsfield compared George Bush to Winston Churchill.

He went on to say “There is simply no comparison. Churchill was a real soldier and not a puppet of the Pentagon. He trained at Sandurst, fought in the Battle of Omduram and the Boer War. His escape from a PoW camp in South Africa is a literary legend. He became the First lord of the Admiralty in World War 1, and after the ill-fated Dardanelles expedition of 1915, saw action in France.”

He then went on to say other things like Churchill warning about the rise of Nazism in the 1930s.

But if Rumsfield compared Churchill to US policies over Iraq to Nazism. Well I don’t think Churchill went after Adolf Hitler, just because one ball tried to assassinate his father.

19. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    Re: When un-military men talk to military men.

I am going to be a Tank Crewmember in the Army National Guard, pretty tough Fookers in there, believe me, they do count.