Rumours... Kluivert?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by MNGooner, Oct 22, 2003.

1. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    from www.tribalfootball.com

Barcelona confirm Arsenal, Chelsea approaches for Newcastle target Kluivert
    tribalfootball.com - October 22, 2003

Barcelona has revealed Newcastle United face competition from Arsenal and Chelsea for striker Patrick Kluivert.
    Barca spokesman, Juanjo Castillo, said: "We know that Newcastle have been very interested in him but I think that if he goes he will try to go to a bigger club and I think that he wants to go to London which is a good place to live in.

"Newcastle isn't that big.

"So far no club other than Newcastle have directly approached us about Kluivert, but Arsenal and Chelsea have inquired."

Kluivert, himself, said: "I don't want to go to Newcastle, I want to stay here. I'm quite happy here. Frank Rijkaard [the Barcelona coach] has confidence in me.

"The club has told me: 'We are with you', I don't feel that the club want me to go."

2. chicago_fan

chicago_fan New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Wasn't there a rumour on the same site last week about Kezman coming to Arsenal? I'd rather entertain that idea.

3. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    AW has made statments about picking up 2 strikers in January but I don't think PK will be one of them. IIRC everyone on Earth had the chance to literally steal him from Barca this past summer, so if we didn't want him then why would we want him now that he's cup-tied in Europe?

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Sadly I feel that by January "Cup Tied" will be the least of our worries. AW will need to bring someone in to help win the League. Unless we get a major miracle I don't think we'll be contesting the Champs League much longer.

5. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    He's been linked with Arsenal for about 4 years. Wasn't it 99 that we were trying to buy him but could handle his wage demands? Or is it longer ago???

Anyway, I don't know what his stats have been like recently, but, he seems a bit mad and I could see him being a disruptive force in the changing room. Right kind of player though?

What about Viduka? Leeds seem to be keen on retaining Pennant, how about Mark coming the other way? There's talk of him going on loan to PSG, why not us instead? A loan spell could provide the extra time that Aliadiere needs to get up to pace in the premiership. If he makes it send Viduka back to Leeds and if he doesn't, make Viduka permanent, as part of a swap deal for Pennant

Come on you Gunners!!!

6. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's two threads where you're pushing for Viduka. What do you see in him? I see a fat, lazy big-head who plays when it suits him. If you've watched Leeds recently you'll have seen him lazing around up front looking like he can't be bothered. Do you really want someone who gives up when the going gets tough?

7. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    He has scored zero goals for Barca through seven games in la liga this year, and is getting whistled at by the crowds in the camp-nou these days. I agree that he does seem to be a bit of a head case as well. I don't think you want that guy.

8. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kluivert has been quoted as saying that he doesn't want to play anywhere in the EPL.

9. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    I put the same stuff in 2 threads coz I was interested in hearing what people thought of the idea.

Viduka is fundamentally a good player and at his best he'd be an excellant foil to TH14. Whether his current form is down to his personal attitude or because, like a lot of others, he's past his sell by date at Leeds I can't say. But, if it's the latter then surely AW is the man to rekindle his enthusiasm?

Like him or loath him Alan Smith has always been Leeds through and through, but, lately even he seems to have lost interest?

10. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think anyone could questionn Alan Smith's commitment to the Leeds cause. Anyway, I'll be able to tell you more in about 8 days, my Leeds tickets came through yesterday.

11. ljunberg19

ljunberg19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Annapolis
  12. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i read an article about a month ago saying that GvB sees himself staying at barca when his loan ends. i can't remember where i read it, but it said he wants to stay and play first team football. sorry i forgot the link

13. ljunberg19

ljunberg19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Annapolis
  14. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Re: From the BBC this morning

Intriguing thing is what GVB said which was nothing negative about Arsenal really so much as a plea to Kluivert not to leave Barcelona for Arsenal. He does refer to other clubs but I have seen no reference to other such pleas. The curious thing is nobody-Arsenal Kluivert or Barcelona-have said anything to provoke such a plea. Makes you wonder if maybe something isn't very close now to happening with Kluivert...

15. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Enjoy! With a little help from Jeff Lancaster I managed to get to the ManUre, NewC and Pool games. Nothing like being there eh!

Come on you Gunners!!!

16. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Arsenal needs defenders...not expensive forwards like Kluivert.

This rumour is not going to be a reality...Wenger has a history of buying low for relative unknowns, and with their budget being watched closely because of the new stadium quandry, Patrick best be setting his heart on either Fulham or the Addicks!..LOL