Rumors

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bayernrevs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Let me bring something of a different perspective on this.

Some time ago Dr. Jay (who's a pretty reliable source) suggested that Nicol might be looking to Europe with an eye on possible coaching opportunities there.

Haven't seen anything more on that rumor, but if there is some truth to it, don't you think the club would probably make it their first priority to make sure he stays? I mean - why be active in scouting and attemtpnig to secure players if you're uncertain the head coach is staying?

Not trying to stir the pot here, but if Nicol is looking elsewhere, then what motivation would there be to bring in new talent at this time?

The Magpie

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The same motivation that there always is: to win a championship.

The reason that we drew 62K for the MLS Championship game (and haven't come anywhere close since) is that a "championship" is something special, and it's something that would bridge the "soccer" gap among NE sports fans. Bob Kraft is no different. Winning the USOC would be nice, but winning an MLS "championship" would garner him and the team a LOT of recognition (i.e., there are a LOT more Red Sox fans now than there were a year ago!).

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that stereo type come with a subwoofer?

Like it or not, there is a SA style of soccer. It may be somewhat different from place to place but if you said to someone that understands soccer "he plays a SA style of soccer" they whould know what you're talking about. Is that bad? No it's not. It simply describes a type of play. People also know what is ment by the English style, French style and Italian styles as well.

Maybe he doesn't sign them. Maybe they're sent to him by Tatoo or Tornburg? He can't be running the team and scouting players too. They find 'em, he cuts them.

4. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001

I see - when you say SA style everyone knows what you are talking about.

Brasil and French Guiana play the same style. there is no difference. they all espeak espanish down there, in SA don't they.

But when you move over to big bad europe - you can't say Euro style. has to be italian, or spanish, french or english style.

thanks for letting me on your secrets of what 'people who know soccer' know.

pretty sure sn gets who he wants. he did go to CR to scout cancela himself, if i recall.

try again.

5. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland

Doh! :rolleyes:
    The better the team performs under him, the better his chances are at making a step up?

Of course, none of this means he is going anywhere.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All kudos to rkane1226 for this comment from one of the post-game USOC threads.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Frank we missed you. This Board has been filled with only positive prose and we sure have needed you to help balance tghings out. Welcome back. BTW, have they installed lights down in the mine yet? :p

Seriously, we missed you.

8. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Nothing negative there. Just givin' The 'Pie the straight and obvious. :D

Actually, I've been pleased with the way the that the team has performed and the results that they have achieved so far.

I also see management making more of an effort to get people to matches. It may not work, but at least they trying to something instead of the complete inertia of past seasons.

It may not be working as the last home game against LA was another poor crowd. But it is not because the product and results have not been good, or because attempts have not been made. But that can always be a new thread unto itself.

I have been away recently, but I am so thrilled to know that you've missed me. :eek:
    I suppose that you have had everyone on this board drinking happy juice and singing uplifting songs around the tailgate campfire. :p

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Frank I've been doing my best. As you well know from personal reflection the way most people here on the Rev Board are emotionally inclined if someone didn't slip them some on-line "seratonin reuptake blocker juice" we might find them all in a Jamestown like suicide pact and then who would be in the Fort to throw insults and vulgarities at the other teams and unsuspecting soccer Moms and Pops?

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, we don't usually draw well on Wednesday nights anyway. Tomorrow should be more telling, but even that might not be a fair number due to the Harry Potter night.

11. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs have two problems with attendance

1) The stadium sucks for soccer ... boring .....

2) Who want's to see the team play without Ralston, Noonan and Dempsey? If we get hit hard again for the WCC, it will hurt the Revs in the cash register again.

12. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    i ilke the addition of DH. he is a good sheperd of the centre, and he can play fullback on either side. i hope the revs are now focusing on striker cover.

13. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    somebody tell REV MANAGEMENT about Melvin Tarley of the Minnesota Thunder (USL). an excellent third striker.

14. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Hey, who stole BigFrank's login... and what did you do with him ;)

rand

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just an FYI ... Tarley has been signed by RSL.

While it's great for the kid ... that's just awful news for the Thunder, who will now be missing arguably their best player in their Open Cup semifinal matchup.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Thunder press release about Tarley, Tarley will still be able to play any USOC games the Thunder have left (ie against the Gals).

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct sir. Strange arrangement, but I'm happy for the Thunder.

As part of the transfer, RSL and Minnesota have agreed that Tarley will be available to return to his former team for its 2005 U.S. Open Cup semifinal game against the Los Angeles Galaxy at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., on Wednesday, Sept. 14. Should Minnesota advance to the final, Tarley will be available for his former team for the 2005 U.S. Open Cup finals.

18. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how strange it is, he's Cup Tied. Happens all the time. A quick look around Europe should net a dozen or more instances of players suiting up for their former teams pretty quickly.

19. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    From what I've read I heard it was just a loan?

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Every time I see this list it pisses me off. Adu, Wolff, MATHIS, Pope, Sanneh and maybe Armas, all need to take serious salary cuts based on performance. Johnson is also seriously overpaid. Twellman produces much more at 6 to 7 times less pay.

21. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramon Ramirez should take a pay cut for fleeing the country rather than play for his team...

22. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    I have never heard of that. I know a player can't play for a new team in a cup if they are cup-tied, but I never heard of one going back to play for their old team. Do you know any examples off-hand? If the new team now owns the player and they got injured playing for their old team that wouldn't be right.

23. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Exactly. I heard he was on loan and could be recalled at anytime and would be for the Open Cup, which would make sense.

24. mallon

mallon New Member

Feb 15, 1999
    It's typical Cup rules that a player can only play for one team in the competition from start to finish regardless of whether he's loaned, sold, traded, kidnapped, dumped, etc.

Dan

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI Tarley is starting for RSL tonight against DC United.
    :D