Rumors

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bayernrevs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
  2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Joey is better going forward. His passing is not that great by current MLS standards but I think his passing is better than Johns.

I don't want to indulge in trying to figure out SN's thinking. If he thinks Joey is the better choice to start then I'm willing to support his choice. SN is a solid coach who is showing more and more that he's good judge of player potential, player ability as well as pregame and in match tactics.

If he starts Joey I'm guessing based on all the facts available to him as coach he's made a good call.

3. HiBall

HiBall New Member

Jul 25, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    Doc, while I respect your loyalty and ultimately agree with your conclusion (coach knows best). It makes for very boring webboard discussion. I've heard you say this a number of times. And you're right. Coach Nicol has information that we do not and his track record suggests that we should trust him. But that doesn't have to be at the expense of our own opinions (not that you're censoring anyone, just stating your own).

I think that speculation that there is something substantial behind the scenes is fairly reasonable and worth discussing. Joey often does not look good and I agree that John deserves more of a chance.

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Without actually getting into the John vs Joey debate, the "AJ goes to his NT and ends up nailed to the bench when he comes back" isn't that simple. Joey was injured while John was starting, and Joey was healthy when john came back. I didn't think that John was ever the cut and dried starter over Joey. Also, whether you prefer Joey or John, they're much closer in ability than Ralston, Twellman, Noonan, Dempsey and Reis are to their backups.

5. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've also seen that kind of "earn your spot back" ruthlessness from Nicol before this season, keeping Pepe benched for Dorman after Pepe came back from the flu. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with either decision, just that it's not out of character.

Also, I think "lunchbox player" in reference to Franchino means he's built kinda like one.

6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The key to all this is that Franchino is captain. Therefore Franchino will not be coming off the field unless he is injured or caution points suspension.

Franchino (and Heaps - who IMO is having a pretty good year) have not been as exposed as in the past since we have such a strong midfield and forward group.

But more importantly, Joey and Jay in the past used to "do their own thing", and I think Nicol has really got them to play the system, stay in control, and keep things simple. Nicol should get Coach of the Year just for reeling these 2 guys' in.

Not saying we couldn't upgrade these 2 positions, but we have to admit (even with Nats not in lineup) - we are nowhere near the defensive woes we have had in the past.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure wasn't suggesting that other not express their opinions---I was just stating mine. I'd like to think that I'm a reasonably knowledgable soccer fan but when what I might think or what I hear from other fans does not jibe with what the coach seems to see and do, I will always defer to the coach.

I must admit I do find that when players get a "REP" it's really hard for them to be seen differently by the fans. I frankly think both Joey and Jay have upped their game this year and do not see that Avery John is a serious upgrade over Joey. If I was asked to write the starting line up I would be starting Joey. If given the choice I would look to sign an upgrade at both positions but at the moment I think both are playing resonably well and our GA record tends to back that up.

IMO, indulging in hypothetical "behind the scene" conjecture can be fun and does no harm as long as one does not attempt to raise the "hypothetical' to the level of reality. I have often actively participated in these mental exercises on this Board but as sport rather than a form of reality testing.
    And yes, I am hoping that they make as follow on X-Files Movie :D

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joey has upped his game this year? :eek:

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See what I mean? :D

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I'm a native New Englander.
    I just can't buy into this "infallibility of the coach" ideology.

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I or anyone else has crowned Coach Nicol as infalliable. I would suggest that most of us judge any coach by the teams results which not only includes the the W/L record but team chemisty, quality of effort, player selection and developement and a bunch of other factors. IMO, Coach Nicol has scored quite high in most of these factors and therefore has earned my trust and respect for his judgement.
    Infallible--no. Earned trust---yes

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I trusted him more until we entered the "SMITH era." I have to think Smith's signing was SN's idea and I think he blew this one bigtime. Staying with Smith whe he clearly doesn't have it also makes me question his judgement.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consistently taking Cancela out hasn't helped either. But he's winning ... and that is all that matters.

But the rumors of Cancela leaving are still around, and that scares me.

14. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    ... unless we get Pablo in return

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    With the Revs having signed Gilberto Flores, why would we have need for a fourth defensive midfielder, and a max-salary one at that?

The Magpie

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Not that it's going to happen, but there would be an upside to acquiring Mastroeni for Cancela. At present the two Rev players most difficult to replace are Parkhurst and Joseph. PM would cover both those positions. Many of you will recall that PM was a centerback with Fusion, and a very good one.

17. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...but would frequently need coverage for himself, as he's one of Arena's favorites.

18. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    is Flores more d-mid than a-mid?

19. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We don't need Pablo, we have Dempsey. Losing Cancela would be a big mistake. WHen everyone is present, he's an important part of the mix. When the NAT players are missing, he can't carry the team alone. It's the mix that succeeds, not any one individual.

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs are in the best situation.
    Great starters, excellent backup bench guys, very low overall salary, lots of cap room and lots of int'l picks left.

I am so envious.
    BTW please win 10-0 tonight. Thanks.

22. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love Pablo. If he's available, I would be willing to make adjustments to get him, including trading -- dare I say this because I love the guys as one of my favorite Revo's -- Pepe. And yes, Arena loves Pablo, too.

With that said, I'm also a realist in that what Cannons posted is accurate, so...

Say Stevie Nicol is interested in PM and decides to make a pitch for him and bring him along by negotiating Cancella out of town, do you think it's worth it knowing Pablo will likely depart, much like the Dempster and Ralston and possibly Noonie, when WCQ'ers are going on and, more importantly for next season, when the WC rolls around?

Now say SN can land PM without shipping Cancella out of town. Is it worth it knowing that we have an unhappy Cancella riding the pine more often than not but ready and willing to jump in when the "A Team" takes off for national duties?

23. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take Pablo in a second. He can also play central d. You can't have too many highly skilled players.

A midfield of Dempsey, Ralston, Pablo and Bully ? Noonan and Taylor at striker ? Who cares who's on the left...that's an MLS cup winning line up.

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noted the same quote and it made my heart rate go up a bit. I know we have kicked around the spectrum of options of what should/may happen with our two roster slots ---and---I remain of the opinion that the Revs are about to make one or more significant moves aimed at improving the clubs overall chances of winning the Cup this year.

Three weeks to the transfer window opening. :p Feels a little like being a kid in early December waiting for Christmas.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Boy, you're really on Smith's case. To watch a handful of games (in which he scored a goal with a defender draped all over him) and come to the determination that a guy will never amount to anything is pretty amazing scouting! Considering the minimal investment, I really don't see where "bigtime" comes into it.

As for "staying with Smith", what alternative would you suggest? Holmes didn't show anything. Edozien hasn't shown any better than Smith.
    I mentioned it last week: Medina of Panama is the guy to get. He had another sweet assist last night.