Rumors

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bayernrevs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    I would like to start a thread based solely on rumored transactions/acquisitions. Not meant to be a "pie in the sky" dream thread, but tangible possibilities. I figure this could be interesting given the cap space,SI slots and allocations we have on hand.

2. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    Anyone on trial?

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets see if we can get the data base agreed upon.

We have: (I think)
    ~ two SI and two senior roster spots open
    ~between $ 0.5 to 1 million in Cap space
    ~and what ever we might still have of the Hernandez Allocation

4. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    well if you judge the max cap based on LA's figures we still have ~1.3 mil. left, which is more than the team is worth at this point...but who's saying the league would give that much to us? ;)

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I believe their are "special cases" like Adu, EJ and LD from what i understand don't really count under the cap or at least not fully. Someone more knowledgeable on the rules may know better then I on this, but I don't see how any of these guys can be under the cap right now.

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the transfer window opens 15 August.

My Analysis: I think it's safe to conjecture that SN et al have their eye on someone(s) or they wouldn't have released Cassio and Brilliant. I think it's also significant that they signed Flores to a DV slot. It's clear that they intend to fill the two senior roster slots. The fact that we have heard nothing to this point says to me that one or both players will be of a type that will fall in the transfer catagory and thus we will not see them till mid august or after. In that we have lots of Cap these two players could well be "significant" signings.

Who?
    For what position?
    From where?
    When?

9. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess i'll anwer my own this question i should make a hapit of reading all new post before i post myself :rolleyes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/grant_wahl/07/13/salaries.rankings/index.html

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been some scuttlebutt that each team will be allowed to have one of these "Super Stars" making the big bucks. I think it's a dangerous precedent to start and I don't see SN being interested in a "Big Name" but rather a above average, blue collar, hard working team player type.

11. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The max salary cap hit for any senior roster player is $280K, regardless of how much their actual salary is. Developmental roster players (Adidas-Generation, Nike P40, developmental) do not have their salaries count towards the cap.

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If theres any problem that should be addressed, it's several names and dollars on this list. Look at some of these names and what they earn compared to the leagues top, underpaid people.

I have big problems with:

Wolff, Mathis, Sanneh, Armas and Adu

Cut their salary by 3/4 and let them test the market. With the exception of maybe Adu, nobody would pickup any of the others at their present salary. If the league wants to keep their young talent, they have to do more for the low end and not end up with a list of over-the-hill players pulling down big bucks.

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I aghee with the entire list except for Adu. Like it or not, he puts butts in the seats. His salary is earned for the marketing, not for his production on the field.

But wow - Wolff, Armas, and Clint - they must good agents !

15. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Some folk'll never break the cap
    but then again, some folk'll
    Like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel!"

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't "get" an Allocation from the League, we "use" an Allocation (just like money in your bank account) when we are ready to purchase a player.

Although some of us would have anticipated that the Revs would have used the Hernandez Alocation by now to build the team it's obvious that SN et al have done a GREAT job in building a winner--without using that Allocation and at the same time, keeping salaries low. Thats good Cap management.
    The Revs are enough under the Cap that they will be able to provide good pay increases to the "producers" so they won't need to be traded off at the end of the season like happened to the winning sides in DC as the result of their early success.

Sure wish I could be listening in on the conversation going on between Nicol, Paul M and the Evil Midget about how they plan to fill the two empty roster slots. This team is verrrrry close to be a solid Cup contender. Adding one or two real upgrades to the roster could take this group to the next level and make the Revs almost unbeatable.

Exciting stuff

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No doubt they would cut some of them if they could, but the money is guaranteed.

There is less of a reliance on "name players" in MLS than ever before, but there are still examples like these. The league essentially has to gamble when they sign someone to a guaranteed deal - some pay off and some don't. It's clear they are still willing to bend rules for those with big names.

And with players like EJ, you have to figure in the negotiating position. I'm sure he had a suitcase out, forcing MLS to dish out such a staggering offer (for them). Whether he will end up as a Josh Wolff or an LD remains to be seen (but he's sure looked good when last seen with the USNT)...

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump
    Sure is quiet in light of the fact that we have two roster slots opn and lots of Cap. I sure wish we didn't need to pay attention to the damn Transfer Window. ;)

19. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    thanks for the imput everyone. August does seem like the time chatter will increase. But, while we are all here, I'd like to assess our needs.

- 3rd striker (please get Khano off the pitch!)

- right fullback. Nothing against Heaps, but I think an upgrade here would be monumental for this club.

- cover for Parkhurst in central defense

- left sided attacking midfielder. I think players that play an English-type of soccer will meld best with this club. A player who may be available come August is Bobby Convey. What say you, rest of bs?

-

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Doc, what makes you so sure that Nicol and Co. will actually fill those roster spots and spend that money? Think about this question in the context of long-term personnel concerns and short-term team goals, and use that as the basis for an answer.

Just trying to expand the discussion some...

The Magpie

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did think/consider of that option and found that there was absolutely nothing to be lost in filling the two roster slots ASAP but the whole question of what they intend to do with the SI slots and Cap management really needs to be viewed in the context of what they will be facing at the end of the season.

The SI slots are not as critical as in years past but need to be managed prudently. They have Dorman, a Transitional Internationals that will come of age over the winter and if they want to keep him he will need a SI slot. The same is true for Khano Smith although at the moment he's not looking like someone that will be back in 2006.

I actually was shocked and pleased that they have as much Cap to work with as they do. Many good MLS sides have been broken up just because they didn't manage the Cap well and needed to sell/trade off there stars. The Revs have enough banked to be able to give good raises for 2006 and still have enough to bring in a high value major player.

BOTTOM LINE: IMO, I think the Revs will bring in two players over the next month. Both players will be part of Coach Nicols long term view (2006) but also part of his stratergy to win the Cup in 2005. My guess is that one of the two will be a SI and a "Major" signing.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously ... when was the last Revs "Major" signing?

Zenga? :(

23. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as opposed to some kid whose dad was a big Tom Robbins fan

I think maybe he means we're gonna find some kid whose parents were big Joseph Heller fans.

24. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Re: as opposed to some kid whose dad was a big Tom Robbins fan

When I saw the quick dismissal of Cassio and Brilliant, especially during a time when the Revs ranks were seriously depleted due to national team call-ups, when they needed every quality player they could get, the conspiracy theorist in me wanted to believe the Revs front office had their sights on a more costly SI allocation. I got excited about who we might be seeing on the Gillette pitch. And I still want to believe this.

But the realist part of me sees something very different, something that is far more in line with the penny-pinching ways of the Kraft organization.

We all know the Revs front office has been stingy and has run a lean staff, including cutting back on player payroll where they can (for the most part). That plus I continue to read articles (maybe MLSnet?) talking about how the Kraft's have built a top-flight organization, represented by one of the best teams in the league, under a tight-tight watch with a very low bottom line. And from what I've read, it seems the Krafts take pride in this.

Seeing this makes me believe that at this point the Krafts are super psyched the product on the field is producing, which *may* bring in more money, without them putting in anymore money. At the same time, because they have such a solid first team squad, if they cut back on the rest of the ranks, they'll increase their bottom line without sacrificing the play on the field, and even if it does, so what, it's a business. They can "afford" to toss away a few games/wins when Nat. Team duty comes calling because, well, they know they'll still have a quality team that has started the season so well and will no doubt make the playoffs. So why change? (This isn't how I feel... I'm just worried the Krafts see it that way. It is a business afterall.)

25. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    I'd bet rob1066's balls that that's the case. they waived them before their contracts became guaranteed. While this gives them liquidity in signing new players, it also saves them close to 100,000 right?