Rumor of Stadium and Adu News Monday (Bergin)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by American40, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Announcement in 60 to 90 days.

Maybe during the off-season we should have dedicated breakings news/rumors thread modeled after the one on Bergin’s site - no discussion, just info on what "in the air". That way there's a place for stuff like that here but those folks who don't want to deal with it until Goff says it's so can avoid it and, most of all, we can avoid the often anticlimactic conclusions of many a thread of this sort.

2. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like United landing Hudson as coach....

3. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Mr. Sub.:

It would probably take a while, but if you'd like me to list my 750 dead-on hits and 3 or 4 embarrassing misses over the last eight seasons of DCU and MLS coverage, I would be happy to.

(How's your success rate at your place of employment?)

Please let me know, Andrew.

sg

4. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I have never had a bad sandwich prepared by Mr. Sub.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    you are trying to tell me guys are dogging goff out now? gee great job fellas, make it so steve stops posting here and giving us the benefit of his access and observations.

man, don't you guys realize what a treasure goff is? he works his ass off to get stories and print space in an extremely crowded market. not only that, but he is a damn fine journalist to boot. its one thing to disagree with a point of analysis he might make but you can't seriously dog him out. pathetic.

6. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Smack talk(!) from one of the top U.S. journos covering footie. What next? A steel cage match between Sigi and, well...

Ok, Bad Idea Jeans -- no one's going to get in the ring with that guy.

Are these boards great or what?

7. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Anyone "of a certain age" remembers when you had to wait until after the 11:00 News (that's *PM* for anyone out there who's never seen a news broadcast) to see a tape delay of the NBA Finals.

Hardly indicative of a league that had "made it big". And that was as late as the early 80s.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, a pretty run of the mill article. I find it funny that he calls Adu a "fixture" at the u-20 level. when did THAT happen. if he were a fixture, he wouldn't be off the team at this point. also, the idea that DC United has done a great job with youth is ............... well, it's absolutely absurd. Our club has been horrendous with youth in recent memory.

11. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Is Adu really a fixture on the U-20 team? He played all of 14 minutes against Japan last month and now he's a fixture?!? The Hudson quotes are his usual bombastic, entertaining self.

12. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Steven Goff has a phenomenal rep among his peers. He is about 3rd (by Wahl's count) among "caps" for soccer journalists in the US (I may be wrong--maybe he's second now). He manages to break stories on most of the USSF accouncements (like: who's going to be on the roster or upcoming matches). The guy is very, very good--period.

On the coaching selection, Gough was originally quoted on radio as saying he'd been offered the job as head coach of United and was trying to decide if that is what he wanted to do. Goff never printed that. Instead, he came out with the story quoting Payne saying no-one had been offered the job. Talks then started with Gough. Then you had the quick contraction. That led to Hudson being under contract in the morning to Miami, suddenly being out-of-contract and Payne making a switch in direction and offering the job to Hudson all within 24 hours. If you read Hudson's account of it all--how quickly it happened, there is no way (unless Goff was clarivoyant) he could have written that Hudson was being hired when 24 hours before Hudson was being signed, he was under contract to Miami and Gough was the finalist.