Rumor Mill - USMNT - Mexico @ HDC???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ZiggyGalaxy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Apparantly word has gotten out that USSF may be playing the US-Mexico qualifier at the Home Depot Center. Sure, it's an instant sell-out no matter what, but this seems like it would be the dumbest thing to do...it would essentially be an away game. Plus, I don't think BA would go for it. Your thoughts?

2. accion

accion Member

Nov 28, 1998
    dfw, texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    where has the word gotten out?

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on all counts, Ziggy. If your rumor is indeed true, Bruce will put his foot down upon it so quickly that it just might make some heads spin.

The rumor itself, as in the concept of it, it's just so wrong on so many levels, with regard to it being a home qualifier in the Hex and all.

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Well I wouldn't mind it because it is within driving distance for me. This is, of course, selfish on my part, but I think the US will romp Mexico wherever they play. Though, you'd think Columbus would be the prime place for the US-Mexico game as far as US "strategery" goes.

Either way, I hope at least one qualifier is at the HDC so I can see the USMNT play a meaningful game for the first time/opportunity in my life.

Where, again, is the rumor coming from?

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me again how many times the U.S. has beaten Mexico at Azteca?

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way I could see this work is if they try to limit initial sales to MLS season ticket holders and Sams Army, but I don't see how that could work unless fans from other parts of the country fly in. I don't think there are even enough of those types to significantly fill the stadium.

How did Columbus limit so many Tri fans from getting to that game? I think there had to be a certain degree of screening for sales to that last qualifier, it's not like no Mexicans live in Ohio or that region.

I think that game forever needs to be played in Columbus. Winter or no winter.

7. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    We will probably beat the (Mexicans) but it wouldn't look good having that stadium filled with alot of (Mexicans) and ****************. Probably for a friendly but not a World Cup qualifier.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it would be deciding to play Mexico away twice.The Fed can't be that stupid.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had completely dismissed this until I saw.......

...and now I'm not so sure.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I hear Alaska can be fun. Do we have any stadiums in Alaska?

11. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    US v. Mexico at the HDC for a WCQ would be beyond idiotic. If US Soccer is seriously considering something like that, then they should play it at the Rose Bowl or at the Cotton Bowl, where they will at least make more money from the gate. But I really doubt there is any truth to this.

12. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    No, but the state closest to Alaska (WASHINGTON) has this gem. We'll even make purty and lay turf for the nats! ;)

[​IMG]

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    wasn't honduras at rfk the last hex enough of a warning that ticket control will always be subverted.....

14. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so, but the National Sports Center in Blaine, Minnesota would probably be willing to host the game.

http://www.nscsports.com/soccer/index.html

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would likely fill the stadium, but I've yet to see any qualifier where that approach was tried.

16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Gee, I would love to roll out of bed and go to the HDC for US-Mexico. (Hey, maybe someone got confused and heard that they're thinking about a FRIENDLY at HDC. Horse of a different color) But the WCQ at HDC is a non-starter. As far as scheduling the game in an out of the way location, there was a time, probably up to 4-5 years ago, where there were so few Mexicans in certain areas, and getting there was such an adventure, that we had a decided advantage. No more. There are now Mexican communities all over the US, including the Midwest and Northeast. It's now a matter of relative advantage, keeping the Mexican crowd down to 8,000-10,000 instead of 18,000-20,000. Also, there's an assumption that every Mexican fan is poor and can't afford to travel to remote locales. There are enough Mexican fans who have the means and dedication to follow El Tri anywhere, even if it means Hilo, Hawaii, Nome, Alaska, or Caribou, Maine. We're still a generation or two away from the time when American fans will turn out in overwhelming numbers to all USMNT WCQ's. Seeing how much the Screaming Eagles helped spur on DC United, it would be great to have 50,000 screaming Americans cheering our boys on. One day, one day.

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    why does this always get brought up?

18. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Whatever. Get that game to some place where it will be all US. We need to have a place that enough US supporters can/will come so that it is totally full. Columbus is good in that it's close enough to many of our strong supporters (sorry west coast- not good for Mexico) and the limited nuimber of possible seats makes it reasonable that our local groups can fill out. Just please make the damn game on a Saturday. This Wed. crap is really hard to to for out of towners.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Isn't the Wednesday deal part of the attempt to limit traveling by expat Mexican's, CRs, etc? As for the mexican pop in US, it's hardly a new phenomena that there are Mexican expats in the west and mid-west, enough so I'd think the mexico games have to be further north and east. Of likely venues, LA and socal, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Kansas City are all non-starters for that qs v mexico, IMO. Seattle could work, but Columbus seems the best choice.

20. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Maybe but still the Mexicans will go to the game if they can - - it will be the only time they can see their team. U.S. supporters are still less in numbers and thus we need to make it feasible to get as many "travelers" there as possible. I believe that a weekend game makes it very possible for 22,000 U.S. supporters to show up and only sell those tickets through controlled sources. "Get out the vote?" Who cares. Get out the rabid pro-American Grown-Ass Man fans.

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yes, but holding the game in a small venue in an area with few (compared to other areas of the US) Mexicans and giving US and MLS (and A-League) supporters groups and local youth soccer organizations first crack at purchasing tickets means that most of the tickets will be sold out before the general public (ie, significant numbers of Mexicans) ever get a chance to buy them.

22. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the dumbest idea ever. Playing in LA is essentially an away game whenever you play Mexico. There is no way they will play Mexico on the West Coast or Texas unless it is a non-qualifier. Even the posts about selling tickets to MLS season ticket holders or anything to prevent Mexican supporters is not going to work and borders on legal issues. Selling the game out is not an option. Winning the game is the only option.

Play it in the coldest area of the country again. Mexico does not play well in the cold. It worked 4 years ago in Columbus. Do it again. Mexico sucked that night. They looked like school children grimmacing as they tried to trap the ball. We need to repeat that formula. I would even consider Foxboro in Febuary. I would love it if it snowed and they had to play it with an orange ball.

The only game I can see in the HDC is the T&T and Jamica games. These games do not do well in the East. I was at the Jamica qualifier in DC before WC98, and RFK was packed with Jamicians and wanna-be Jamicians.

Philly would be awesome! Just one game please!

23. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Blaine the Stool Capital of the U.S.?

I'm sorry, that's Blaine, Missouri....

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    COLD!!!!

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    COLD!!!!