RUMOR: If no playoffs, Rennie out - Yallop in for Whitecaps.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Q-Bert, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Apparently, pressure is mounting in the front office (and ownership) of the possibility that Martin Rennie could be sacked if the Whitecaps do not make the playoffs. We've heard this song before during the Whitecaps previous run at the playoffs, and we know the outcome there. It's no secret that Lenarduzzi has high standards for team management, but apparently ownership has made some off comments about the state of the club, as well. (echoing rings of Paul Barbers' lofty aspirations for "...one of the top 25 clubs in the world.") Obviously, a run into the playoffs will somewhat clear the air (for now), but if the Whitecaps do not make their mark as one of the top 10 sides in MLS '13 (at least), somethings going to give.

Earlier this season, a fallout between the SJ Earthquakes and Frank Yallop triggered various potential inroads for Yallop, but nothing came to fruition. Apparently Yallop has a desire to make his way back to his heartland Canada, and the Whitecaps would be a sure fit. Of course, there has already been speculation Yallop would be a shoe-in with the Canadian National team, but that hasn't happened and probably won't at this point.

Only time will tell, but the plot to this story just got much thicker for Rennie and the Whitecaps in Colorado, this weekend.

Again, this is only rumor... for now.

2. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    rumor has it that, although their rookie ketuta manneh who scored 3 very high quality goals as a starter last game vs seattle, might not get the start-- instead rennie will go with the enigmatic darren mattocks, still believing beyond any real evidence that he is more capable of providing offensive punch than manneh

please note that with a lot less playing time than mattocks, manneh has scored 5 goals to darren's 2 and has created a lot more danger and links with the other players much better when he has been subbed in

why rennie would choose this path would be extremely baffling IMO-- rather than play a hot hand-- and the whole caps team- and especially the MF that has been struggling all season- looked dynamic vs seattle-

if the caps loose and mattocks looks his usual sad stuff, then MR will look like a very foolish coach and a sacking would be in order

and even if the caps win, starting mattocks over the hot manneh is still a poor decision

3. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Who would write that Yallop is a shoe in for the Men's team. We have a manager and Yallop already failed a few years ago. Wierd.

4. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Mattocks has a larger skillset and more potential than Manneh will ever have. He has earned the start this weekend from his play for the season.

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    you are surely jesting, or you have not been watching the caps play this season, or you truly lack any real sense about the professional game and how it is played- darren has a small soccer IQ, lacks a good connection with other players and has nowhere near the technical ability of manneh... and he is far less dangerous in attacking, creating, linking and finishing his opportunities- no significant euro team is or will be calling on darren's phone

on the other hand, manneh will have many suitors as he continues to progress... and he is 4-5 years younger than darren, making him even more interesting to significant euro teams should he desire to go across the pond

however, IMO, manneh would be best to stay with the caps for at least 1 more year and become a regular starter in 2014, develop his professionalism and learn from the seasoned veterans on the team, like NRC, miller if he stays, camilo and de merit-- he can easily replace mattocks in 2014 and then consider his choices for 2015 when he is a young 20 year old and ripe for the next level of professional soccer

unlike darren, kekuta will make the caps lots of money should he wish to go overseas in 1-2 years

6. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Do you even watch the games? Are you a guy who reads headlines in THe Province and considers himself knowledgeable.

I have coached my children at various levels, I can see and understand the game very well.

Here is a list of reasons why Darren Mattocks is a superior player and prospect to Kekuta Manneh:

1 - he is faster
    2 - He is taller
    3 - he is more athletic
    4 - He sees the play and formations far better than Manneh
    5 - he understands where to go and how to create space
    6 - he thinks several moves ahead of his team mates. He thinks at a higher level than they do, and thus they do not get him the ball properly.. this is not his fault
    7 - Kekuta is a flash in the pan, Darren will be a star for years to come
    8 - Darren is a legitimate 20 goal man in this league. Rennie decided to bench him alot this year and it killed his goal totals
    9 - Darren has played for his national team. Jamaica is ranked higher in world football than The Gambia. Kekuta has NEVER been called up to his senior team which is RANKED LOWER THAN CANADA.

So, how can you say that Manneh is better than Mattocks? give you head a wash sportie1. Manneh can't even make the national team of a country ranked lower than canada.

7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

the ownership group, general manager lenarduzzi and rennie will meet next week after the final game on sunday- it all depends on what rennie says about what he would do differently in 2014, admitting his frequent, baffling mistakes, how he would involve some of the younger players to promote their game, how/what he would recruit to improve the team, who he would replace/trade/release/buy-out on the team and finally what he would do to improve his coaching strategy/game tactics/team selection, especially when playing on the road and against the other western conference teams where the caps had an abysmal record in 2013

i would love to be a 'fly on the wall' at that meeting because rennie will have to be transparent, forthright and will be held accountable for having a .500 season and a poor last 2 months of the season for the second time in a row

i would like to think rennie would be very open and candid, but not sure that is in his positive talk makeup which wont get him very far at the meeting IMO- a decision should be coming shortly after as the ownership group are decisive people, not fence-sitters

8. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Manneh has better ball control, is extremely fast, hes 18 ********ing years old and hes already that good. Mattocks couldn't really finish for shit this season and he had way more opportunity than Manneh, I'm sorry but your argument is total B.S, Manneh was the one deserving of more playing time, mattocks is still pretty good, but I knew from first watching kekuta he is special. He has the calm, collected characteristic of a good forward, while still being extremely quick and energetic.

Hes short, so is messi dumbass. And that national team stuff is irrelevant he's only 18 and I doubt the managing is world class in Gambia.

I'm sorry but you're argument is absolutely ludacris, no hate to mattocks, he had a ruff season but i mean come on man that is such B.S. Rennie blew it this by overplaying davidson, kobayashi, mattocks I.M.O. Also i feel the D.P could have been better utilized as Knighton was playing great at the time, they needed a central midfielder.

9. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also, you sound like a terrible coach. Do you select kids for your team based on height and sprint speed lol? "do you even watch the games?" I was about to ask you the same question. You clearly have overestimated you're knowledge of the sport and should reconsider coaching the beautiful game at any level.

Also, it's very rare for an 18 year old to be selected for a senior national team, almost unheard of I believe, you realize a lot of the players in u21 are actually like 22 or 23 at the time of the tournament?

10. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I've posted this in other MLS teams' thread, so here it goes again:
    Top Candidates for next manager (in order of personal interest):

1. Gregg Berhalter - Guy has Euro and MLS experience. Has the makings of a quality coach. Plus he's got great sideline style.

2. Tab Ramos - If he's willing to leave u-20 job, he'd be a great pick up for molding young players into contributors.

3. Jesse Marsch - did well at Montreal.

4. Kerry Zavagnin - current assistant at KC, has plenty of MLS and national team experience.

5. Richie Williams - If he's willing to leave u-17 national team.

6. Steve Ralston - Assistant to Kinnear last few seasons - could be ready to take a step up.

7. Curt Onalfo - Has been toiling as Bruce's assistant for last few years - deserves another shot at head coach.

8. Mike Lapper - He's been an assistant forever - does he have any interest in head coaching job?

9. Preki - Really shocked he hasn't gotten another head coaching gig after solid efforts at Chivas and Toronto.

10. Steve Nicol - If he'd like to leave ESPN, would be great pick up.

11. John Spencer - didn't do horribly in his 1.5 seasons in Portland.

12. Gary Smith - Proven MLS cup winner.

13. Bob Bradley - expensive, but you'll get your money's worth.

14. Robin Fraser - Deserves another shot.

15. Brian McBride - would make an awesome coach if he wants it.

16. Mike Sorber - Former assistant to Bob at USMNT - what happened to this guy?

17. Eddie Lewis - Maybe he's bored of retirement. Great player.

18. Clint Mathis - How much fun would that be?!?

Avoid: Anybody from Europe who doesn't know MLS.

11. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013

Manneh's ball control is atrocious. Unless he has some open space he fumbles and generally loses it.

It was wrong for Rennie to bench Mattocks and start Manneh. Yeah, he got 3 goals but that was a once in a career thing for him, it will not happen again.

Bringing up Messi is absurd! He is a special player. Kekuta is too short to be a long term striker in this league.

12. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I actually am a good coach. My teams have one several tournaments over the years. When you are coaching 7 and 8 year olds like I do, you really get a sense of what to look for and how to predict a player before they have fully developed their skills and abilities.

Kekuta was not even selected for his youth national team. So, yeah, you can make a point that he is too young for the senior national team, but a he couldn't even get picked for the u-20's level in a low ranked nation like Gambia. that tells me a lot right there.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Chicago hired Yallop...so Vancouver will have to go to Plan B. Carl Robinson?

14. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When you are coaching 7 and 8 year olds it is, quite literally. a walk in the park, 2 or 3 kids dominate, while the rest roam around picking dandelions. I mean, are we seriously comparing pro athletes to 1st graders, thats absurd.

It seems ridiculous to say that Kekuta will not be a good player, or even that he is not already a good player in the MLS. Kekuta has come into matches and been an absolute game changer, he has 6 goals and 2 assists in 764 minutes (which equals slightly over 8 full games) he has also drawn at least one penalty, and if I remember correctly maybe 2 or 3, to me, it is quite obvious that with anything moderately resembling steady minutes he would be at least a 13+ goal scorer, probably more. Remember, in some of the games he's come into, the Whitecaps have been getting destroyed and he turned the game around.

Granted it's always possible a player could burn out, but that could happen to anyone, including your beloved Darren Mattocks. I don't understand why you would be so opposed to Manneh, and I have to question wether it has anything to do with him being a muslim?

15. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    that's why he's a winger, you'll see.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

17. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Coaching kids is very valuable in knowing how to evaluate talent and PROJECT what a player will be several years down the road. I can look at an 18 year old and have a good idea of what will happen.

I am not saying Kekuta is a bad player, I am saying that Mattocks is far superior. Yeah, Kekuta MIGHT tag in 8 - 10 goals one year, but Mattocks is capable of 20+ if given the proper playing time.

What the hell does Kekuta's religion have to do with this? I didn't even know what it was, not do I give a shit.

18. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    who says that yallop was plan A?? i dont think he was in the caps short list-- in fact, i think yallop was Plan B-- the caps owners have been working on this scenario for at least 1 month when, i believe the decision was made to can rennie should the team not make the playoffs

they have a short list ready... and yallop was not on it or they would have signed him immediately

it really is ficticious thinking to say yallop was plan A when the evidence says he was not

19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    and i think the caps owners/committee are right by not signing yallop- i just dont think he would have been the right coach

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    for 2014, chicago is at the bottom of the east division and have not yet won a game- the caps are humming along, albeit with some growing bumps, with carl robinson

the caps made the right selection with robo after kreis and bradley turned the job down- i still hold to the opinion that yallop was not even close to getting the head coaching position

yallop is a quality guy but i just think he was the wrong coach for the caps- i wonder how long he will last in chicago if the losses keep piling up

21. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Yallop is Plan F as far as I am concerned. I am thrilled the Caps did not pursue him. And, I was so baffled as to why a big portion of our marketplace seemed to want Yallop and then somehow blame Bobby for "missing out on Yallop". If the Caps wanted him, they would have got him no problem.

I know Robbo was not their first choice either, but he sure as hell is a better choice than "yesterday's man". Frank is living off his past and lacks innovation or creativity to do something fresh in the MLS. He is very stale and is just one of those recycled guys. Chicago will gas him after this year or next, and someone else will remember he won an MLS cup and offer him another job. He is living off of a reputation from 10 years ago, and MLS execs seem to keep buying into it.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i personally dont think frank is done as a head coach... but he does need to take a step out of the coaching game for a year- reflect, refine and refuel his passion and energy for the game- he looks like he is just not enjoying being a head coach- i even said this 2 years ago when he was with SJ- his eyes say it all-

and if the loses continue, his dismissal will happen- team ownership wont continue with the no wins this year as it causes BIG losses at the gate

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i wonder what all the yallop supporters for him as Vancouver's head coach would now say after chicago's dismal 2014 season- as i often stated, the whitcaps FO and owners were exactly right by not hiring frank- he wasn't even on their short list

24. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Frank is a spent force and has lost his passion and energy. The man needs to do something else for a couple of years. Assuming Chicago sacks him, he will just get recycled by another MLS club which will not be good for him.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and i think the head coach they did hire- carl robinson- will take some valuable lessons he has learned this year and develop himself as a better coach

lesson 1- dont be too patient, tolerant, loyal and supportive of young players- some just are not worth the time and energy and will never be thankful for it; salgado and mattocks being the 2 main disappointments that robo should have sent packing by mid-season- salgado is gone and i would hope that darren is gone by december- focus on manneh and dean; hurtado is worth being a sub or when there are injuries or suspensions

lesson 2- the team needs 2 better front players- a clinical finisher and a target/'shit disturber' player inside the opponent's box- upgrades will be needed as the west conference and MLS will continue to get better for 2015

lesson 3- focus most of the energy and guidance on the soccer academy players rather than the draft picks, most of which have been busts while several academy players are showing real promise- teibert and sam a and hopefully another 1-2 will make the bench in 2015 and maybe get into games- bryce alderson, froese and ethan sampson

lesson 4- you and the other coaches did some very good things, such as improving the MF and defence, resigning ousted in goal and having very good chemistry between the players