Rumor: Grabavoy to Chicago

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by beautifulgame11, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Friendly Fire Fan

Friendly Fire Fan New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Keep in mind that Peter Wilt and the rest of the Fire organization watched Ned for two years with the Reserves before Ned went Prop40. They are fully aware of his capabilities and his limitations. A number of the posts on the Fire forum have commented on the "age" of Armas and Marsch plus the need for a strong outside right mid. The Costa Rican connection with Sampson might be pretty attractive for Herron--who knows???

2. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    I really hope this trade goes through. I was so disapointed when the Fire passed on Ned several times in the draft 2 years ago, and I was excited to see him go to the Galaxy because I thought he would get some quality time...and under Jaba...I mean Sigi, he was. Then all of a sudden Sampson comes in and Grabavoy is treated like he has the plague.

I know Grabavoy does not have the best attitude when he is demoted, but I really think going back home and being around those who care and like him as a person and player will help him to develop into a solid player. He seems to have gone downhill since he started for the U20's in the UAE.

COME ON FIRE MAKE THIS TRADE HAPPEN NO MATTER WHO THE GALAXY WANT!!!

3. Friendly Fire Fan

Friendly Fire Fan New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    That statement makes no sense whatsover!! Ned is not worth any of several Fire players--he is not a franchise type of player and if he has an attitude issue when he's not playing then the Fire would be crazy to pick him up until he decides that he isn't God's gift to them or anyone else in the MLS. Be reasonable!!

4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think you need to lower your expectations.

5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: Grabavoy to Chicago

At least once he has come on as a sub for Cobi on the right.

6. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sold on Grabavoy, and yes, I am familiar with "The legend of Lincolnway".

First of all, let me say that I know he is talented. Very talented. It's just that if you guys want him to come to the Fire so that he can get playing time, you're in for a big disappointment. He is not, I repeat NOT, better than Rolfe, Jaqua, Thiago, or Mapp. As a forward, we also have Reiter, Herron, and Chad Barrett. Unfortunately for Ned, those are the players that would keep him on the bench in Chicago. They're also all young, which means we wouldn't give them up in a trade for a player who isn't as good as them right now.

Also, unless this trade was made for that draft pick, or a really useless player(by the staff's estimation), it might not happen. As Friendly Fire Fan said "Peter Wilt and the rest of the Fire organization watched Ned for two years with the Reserves before Ned went Prop40". They also passed on drafting him THREE TIMES in that draft. That should let you know how they feel about him.

That said, I would really like to get him here in Chicago, as long as he can deal with not being a starter. He'll get time as a sub (though Dave never makes offensive subs), in the US Open cup, and when call ups hurt our squad. It would be great to have him here in Chicago.

7. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    I did not mean literally ANYONE on the roster, I know that trading someone like Armas, Marsh, Mapp, or others of that caliber would be a huge mistake. I was just trying to show how much I would like him to come home. It was not meant to be taken literally...

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the Fire started logan Pause on the right wing a few games ago and had Buete in their lineup yesterday.

Grabavoy had an absolute monster game against the Fire toward the end of last summer, and then almost immediately after that has disappeared forever without much of an explanation from Sampson.

I've seen the kid play a bunch of time and have seen nothing but good from him. It's hard to imagine that a midfield that constantly fields guys like Marsch, Buete and Pause couldn't use his services.

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when you figure in that all of those guys play completely different roles than Grabavoy? You listed three defensive midfielders. All of whom, while less skilled than Ned, are better defenders. Buete and Marsch are central defensive midfielders that are needed there in order for Thiago and the others to be so offensive minded. And even they only started because others were injured or called up for the Nats, so "constantly fields" is a bit of a stretch. Buete got his first start wednesday, and Marsch is far from a first team regular. Pause was moving up into midfield from the right side of defense, so they can't even be compared. Ned certainly isn't a fullback, which is what Pause has been used as.

I would love to get him though, as we don't have many offensive options off the bench.

10. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would that be, Armas?

11. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only thing the Fire need really badly right now is a right-sided attacking mid to balance our formation. If Grabavoy can play as a wide boy, he'll find some time on the field. If not, then we don't need him this year except as cover for Thiago, and next year we'll have Capano back (hopefully). If he was being looked at as a replacement for Armas or Marsch, I guess I can see it, but I don't know much about the player and have only seen him a few times.

We don't have any roster space (well, we have a developmental spot) and we just passed the waiver deadline (right) so it woud have to be a player-for-player deal. We do have a lot of forwards, I guess, and Andy Herron does seem the likeliest, I suppose. I just hate the Galaxy too much to want to give them anyone but Leo Griffin. :rolleyes:

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Re: Grabavoy to Chicago

I seem to remember him doing welll when he was given a chance to play.

Wasn't this after a long stint on the bench but towards the end of Sigis tenure?

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part I have to say that I agree with this statement.

14. Please give LA Leonard Griffin even if we don't get Ned. I don't think Leo could mark my grandmother. Grabavoy did look good in HS and in games against the Fire last year. Nice fit with the move to the south side, but where does he play? Right mid seems best, but is he better than Thorrington, Marsh, or Jaqua there? Herron for Grabavoy seems like the Fire is giving up too much. Griffin for Grabavoy seems closer if the Fire throw in, say, Buete?

15. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

can't have enough Will County guys on the Fire roster :)

16. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Is Thorrington injured (again)? He's played all of 70 minutes for the Fire. So in this case if Grabavoy is healthy he would be better than Thorrington.

17. 256_Galaxy_fan

256_Galaxy_fan New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    At this point I am doubting that anything will happen on the LAG side. Either they are working something big, or they are doing nothing at all. My guess is Naldo will still be with us in July.

18. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he's hurt again. This guy is becoming the worst spent allocation money in fire history.

19. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    This rumor bugs me. In my opinion, Ned Grabavoy is nowhere near the worth of Andy Herron. If the Galaxy get Herron for Grabavoy, they got a steal and a half. Hopefully Chicago sends them the second round draft pick. If not that, make it Leonard Griffin. Anything else would suck.

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Thiago is out for 4 weeks, or more, with a meniscus tear in his knee.

21. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Add me to the list of Fire fans who don't want Herron to go, in order to bring in Ned.

Griffin? Yes
    Thorrington? Yes
    Buete? Probably

But not Herron.

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that Grabavoy is a Project 40 (or I guess Generation Addiddas or whatever the heck they call it) developmental player and Herron is a SI on the senior roster.

Grabavoy for Herron makes sense if Chicago also wants to unload a SI spot to open up something for the Aug. transfer window.

But it also doesn't make any sense for LA because we haven't waived any of our SIs, so we couldn't take him right now even if we wanted...

And if LA trades Grabavoy for anyone other than a forward who can contribute immediately, then it makes absolutely no sense from our end...

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true but don't know if I would want to give up herron for a young unproven player.

24. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, dear god no.

25. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Actually yes LA could take him, we are currently using 3 of 4 SI slots, Chinchilla, Naldo and Pando, with one slot left.

Cap wise maybe, but I think Dougie the rat can squeak his way out of this one.