Rule has changed ?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Football Master, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Football Master

May 13, 2010
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Hello,

I have simple question, but I don't know if this is the right place to write it here, but I will try.

look at this video :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8B1-gkx2Fk"]YouTube - 1993/94 HSV - VfB Leipzig[/ame]

at 0:24 second. How this was foul and not a penalty? it was in 18 meter!!

I don't know if that was an old rule or what ? why this was a foul inside 18 meter ?

is the rule changed ? when ?

I hope that I'll find good answer with as much details as possible!

thx

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It wasn't given as a foul. It was given as obstruction. The penalty for obstruction is an indirect free-kick.

You hardly ever see obstruction given in the modern game, but the rule still stands.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't think there has been a rule change but I think it was unusual decision where the referee gave obstruction therefore an indirect free-kick rather than a foul (which would be a penalty, or a direct free-kick if outside the penalty area). I think often a referee would give a foul in that situation for blocking off the player, though sometimes it might be deemed not a foul if the referee thinks the player couldn't get out of the way. In this case the referee seems to have decided the defender obstructs the attacker which is why they colide I think.

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah that's what I thought too (I replied at the same time).

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This is a clear answer

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was a big obstruction too. The bodies were flying away....

7. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Back when I was a ref, people used to get very upset when I called obstruction. For basketball fans it basically is the equivalent of "setting a pick." You're impeding another player without being within playing distance of the ball.

8. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    In Brazil is not so rare.

Another rule that is almost ignored in Europe, and is very common in Brasil is about the penalty kick, when the goalkeeper dont stay on the goal line and give a step in direction to the ball before the player shoot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-_WSfbc04"]YouTube - Petkovic, de pênalti, deixa tudo igual no Maracanã, aos 20 do 2º tempo[/ame]