Rule Changes -- Bruce must cap Freddy now!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by jack921, Oct 17, 2003.

1. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
  2. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Exactly what reason would Freddy have to play for Ghana instead of the USA?

It's not exactly like these are two teams of similar strength and potential.

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and Freddy has been on record for 2 or 3 years now that he wanted/wants to play for the US. I remember picking up the washington post here when he was 11 in which he droned on and on about he couldn't wait for citizenship so he could win a WC with the United States. He ain't going anywhere. He knows where his bread is buttered.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm sure that Nike would prefer that Freddy eventually play for the US instead of Ghana.

I don't think Arena should be (or is) in the business of handing out caps for anything other than competitive reasons. If he was then surely Meola would've gotten the on cap necessary to get to 100. No Bruce only calls up the players he's developing for the next competitive cycle, or are in top league form.

6. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if the senior caps have to be in official FIFA events in order to cap-tie now? If not, might coaches now be tempted to call up good younger players for a friendly or two?

Not sure I really like the rule change. Seems there would be potential for abuse. For example, what's to stop Italy from poaching the most promising young players from Africa?

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are already doing it. this law is trying to PREVENT that exact scenario. As clubs like France and Holland have more money to throw at African footballers when they are young and impressionable, these countries are getting these kids young in their youth systems, and then cap-tying them before they are adults. This law would now allow those same Africans to wake up from this situation when they are 20 yrs, 364 days old and decide that "hey, i never wanted to play here for their team. I wanna play for my home team." before, these players would allow themselves to be cap-tied because of the money, and as youngsters, it was hard to refuse. Now if gives them a bargaining chip and a way out from under the exploitation. so basically, you have it backwards.

8. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The example you laid out is the one the article gave, but I wasn't sure what the net effect would be. Would there be more Africans returning to play for their original countries for whatever reason (e.g. regret, couldn't catch on with Holland), or would there be more attempts to persuade exceptional players who had been cap-tied to African countries (e.g. played for Sierra Leone in U-17 WC) to jump ship? I really don't know.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Does this mean that Santino Quaranta (he has an Italian Passport?) is no longer cap tied to the US? I mean if suddenly Italy decided that he could be a force by the age of 25 could they offer him a chance to play for them in Euro 2004 or something?

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Have any African-born players ever played for Holland at the youth or national team level? Any?

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we need to worry about that.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an easy one, seeing that Holland has an African-born (Ghanian) player on their senior national team at this very moment (George Boateng). I would look up more, but since i know that one off the top of my head, i'll stop there.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fair enough. I though most, if not all, of their players of color were from Surinam.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are most definitely correct about that. most of their players of color are from Suriname or of Suriname descent. However, (and please don't think i'm being a snob or anything), but i travel pretty extensively and was in holland recently, and there are a lot more african people there than you might think. the same goes for England, Belgium, and obviously France ............ tons of africans.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I was just using him as an example. This is America. There are MANY people with dual citizenship. Does this mean other countries can attempt to raid our youth teams?

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to look at it like that, sure, other countries can attempt to raid our youth teams. But looked at in another light, we can also "raid" theirs as well. We could probably be more successful at it as well because we have less competition for those youth to get on the national stage. If you have to compete against the Italian nationals for a job as opposed to the American nationals, which would the average prospect pick? I'd choose the place where I have a better chance to get major playing time, and that would be for the USA. Over time, this may change, but I don't think we can be too worried about that at the present.

17. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    well, there are some matters where people will do things for money...

if some one offered you $1000 per month for life to change citizenship would you do it???/

Well, Stephen Cherono did so...

you might NOT know who he is, but he's from Kenya by birth...

and now Qatar by citizenship...

oh, by the way he's the WORLD Champion in the steeplechase....

oh, Merlene Ottey, formerly of Jamaica now competes for Slovenia....

people change allegiances in other sports...

who knows about the future in football...perhaps for some moolahh some country will sell some footballers to the lesser light nations....

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's stopping them? It's impossible.

See, the loophole only exists if when a player is captied (like happened to Freddy when he played in U-17 qualies) he's ALREADY got dual citizenship.

How many U-18s would be eligible for Italy and another nation? Damn few.

19. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    You kid. This can't be true.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    google found this

http://www.artukraine.com/sport/block3.htm

21. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Funny, you don't look Slovenian...."

23. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Here's what the CIA World Factbook says:

Dutch 83%, other 17% (of which 9% are non-western origin mainly Turks, Moroccans, Antilleans, Surinamese and Indonesians) (1999 est.)

24. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original article wasn't very clear on this point. Here's what it said:

The new regulations mean any player under 21 who has represented one country in any team other than a full senior international can be called up to represent another country.

However, I've since noticed that the official version of the new rule does state that the player must have been eligible to play for the second country at the time he first appeared for the first country in order to switch:

Regarding the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes, the new Article 15, which deals with the eligibility for national teams of players with dual nationality, was also amended to reflect the fact that “a player may exercise his right to change Associations only if he has not played at “A” international level for his country and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities.“. Moreover, in the English version, the word “nationality” would replace “citizenship” for the sake of clarity.

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/mrel,72324.html

Makes much more sense and lays to rest some of the fears I had regarding the new rule. Can't say I have any objections to this one.

25. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    all soccer players ;)