Ruiz - What a Catch.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Tejas, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    I don't know how many of you got to see the US Open Cup game of Dallas vs LA, but Carlos Ruiz opened a can of whoop ass in that game that was pretty damn impressive. I have to hand it to Sigi Schmid and MLS for bringing this guy in because it looks like the kid will go far.

Good article on him here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/us/news/2002/09/05/ruiz_mls_sa/

So far I would even put Ruiz at the top of the heap of smart international signings.

2. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    Even though i cant stand the Galaxy, i can stand Ruiz...Hes a classy player...works hard and has impressed me when ive seen him play...its players like this that MLS needs to sign.

Hes not a showboat and not a villainous player like Luis Hernandez...Great signing.

3. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    I couldnt remember who and when Ruiz scored the goal i was thinking of, so i didnt bother mentioning it...but his golden goal vs San Jose was great...he made San jose look silly.

4. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    True.

I think that was an Open Cup game as well. He just flicked the ball over the last defender and that was all she wrote.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if MLS has a hard time hanging on to him. The article mentions his interest in playing elsewhere, and with his production this season he is bound to catch some interest.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    hate the galaxy... love watching ruiz play

him and twellman are simply a joy to watch play, great signings by the league

6. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Debateable

No argument at all.

You obviously never saw the match at Mazatenango did you? He was a complete punk. Brutal tackles from behind, a flying kick to Keller and a handball that wasn't called. To his credit he plays 100% for 90 minutes, a quality that is certainly admirable. On that day though he was a total jerk.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    now hold up, he was comparing ruiz to hernandez...

and history tells me i have seen ruiz act like that one time, the game you are refering to in mazatanango.

hernandez on the other hand acted that way, and still acts that way, every single time he sets foot on the field at country and club level...

he (hernandez) is and always will be a classless jerk.

8. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Earlier in the year, Carlos expressed a desire to play with the Galaxy for 4 seasons, and then ply his trade elsewhere (Mexico or Europe I believe). At this rate, I think he'll play only next season in MLS, and if he has the same level of success, he'll be gone to greener (for MLS that is) pastures.

That said, let's remember we've had some playeras come in a have good first years, only to struggle to duplicate those stats in the next. However, Carlos is just 22, and getting better every stinkin' game! Love watching him, and wouldn't be surprised if he led us to the title this season.

Anyone else who has seen him more than say 4-5 times think he's another MLS player who could PLAY for any club in the world right now?

9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is any player in the MLS who could for ANY club in the world.

10. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    New Article

If you cast your net wide enough, you always catch a "Fish" ...

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562132097

NOTE: If CNNSI is cross-linked to the same article, I don't know. Why? Because my employer blocks access to CNNSI.com as "non-work related." This is for others out there in the same position...

11. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    i remember all to well seeing ruiz for the first time

it was in guatemala vs usa during wc qualifying

oh that was ugly

he was tenacious

i am dreading the next time the usa has to go down there (but i cant wait to see it at the same time
    )

12. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, someone who completely forgot to watch the WORLD FREAKIN' CUP!

13. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen...

14. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Re: New Article

and BigSoccer IS considered work-related? :) Then again, I'll bet if we looked at the usage percentages, we'd find the highest volume of posts during "work" hours (allowing for time zone differences, of course)

just curious, what web-filtering tool does your company use (by asking that question, BS just officially became a work-related site for me, thanks! :)

15. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Regarding Ruiz, there was an LA Times piece a month or so ago in which he stated that his dream was to play in the MFL. I think it was a team for whom a Guatamalan soccer legend had previously played for.

Sorry, but the story's too old to get the link from the Times website.

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fish can flat out finish and I almost kinda...sorta...well, not really...like watching the Galaxy this year 'cause of it.

I read somewhere where he wanted to play one more year in MLS and then move on to bigger and brighter things (for him). The MFL would seem the next likely stop.

I do think it will be tougher for him next year in MLS if only because MLS defenders will take a personal stake in finding new, devious ways to stop him.

17. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've seen it speculated on the LA boards that Ruiz was signed on a loan for this year only. If that's true, I wouldn't expect him back next season.

18. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    As my Boss man reminded me yesterday, "you could probably sell a lot more if you didn't post all day to that freaking soccer page." Err uhh? I don't know what you're talking about, Massa.
    It's not my fault they have t100 or ISDN here and I have dial up at home, my apt has antiquated utilities.

I don't have a problem w/ a guy being a pesky lil fish so long as he plays hard all the time and doesn't complain ala Bill Laimbeer or Dennis Rodman.

19. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fish is on a 4 year contract with the MLS...however, the MLS doesn't hold all his rights. Municipal have rights to him as well. (not sure where you got the loan deal from)

Check back on the G boards. The latest is he may not be playing for Muni this winter after all. The Guatamalian FA is tieing things up with paperwork.

20. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So what does that mean?

Who decides where he will be playing next season?

21. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    luis is so good that he has outgrown mls in 1 season.

he should go to the mfl where he would develop into a better player, after all he said that he is doing all this for his country.

22. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    I remember hearing an interview with him earlier this year where he made a comment about coming back again next year to show this season wasn't a fluke--the distinct impression I got was that he wanted to come back for just one more year and then move on.

23. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    I have absolutely NO idea, sorry. :(

24. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    He's one of those guys you love to have on your own team and HATE to play against. If he can duplicate his season next year, I'd be a little surprised if he didn't go to Europe after that one.

25. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    Ask any coach what kind of player he wants out there once you get beyond the skill aspects of the game. You bet they want a guy who is willing to sacrifice his body in an all-out attempt to win the game, one that takes no prisoners, never shies away from contact, and never stops asking for more out of himself and his teammates (in that order).

Looking at it objectively, that is what Ruiz did in the Mazatenango game. Only looking at it from a US fan's perspective was he a "punk" and a "jerk".

I can proudly say that I was all for this signing as soon as I heard that it might happen. I couldn't have predicted his immediate scoring success, but it doesn't surprise me given what I saw that day in Guatemala.