Ruiz paid $40,000 a year

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by wufc, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing to consider about Ruiz's future and his place in FCD's and HSG's plans for the future:

EJ's new deal contains a clause that strongly encourages the league to sell him by January 2007, if the price is right. This is largely because EJ absolutely, positively wants to go to Europe sooner, rather than later.

While Pescadote also wants to go to Europe, it's not inconceivable that FCD and HSG could encourage the league to sign him to a newer deal as insurance, even a deal with a similar out clause to EJ's deal. After all, I believe that Ruiz has the same agent as EJ.

That way, if both get sold, FCD gets two prime allocations. If only one gets sold, you've still got a prime goalscorer and an allocation. And in the unlikely even that neither gets sold, you've got two great goalscorers under contract, and even if you've got a bit of a salary cap issue, you're still in a position of relative strength in trying to resolve that salary cap issue.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an addendum, the real fly in the ointment for that kind of scenario is I believe that Ruiz will be out of contract at the end of the season.

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but GE has made it a goal to re-sign him, and based on the way they have tried to make him feel welcome and his response to it (other than the GC fiasco, which seems to be resolved), I think he has a better than zero chance of doing so.

Any other league may not be willing to sign him - the unknown commodity issue - but we know him and are probably willing to give him a decent raise.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Fly. Little Ointment.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    There's no way Ruiz stays in MLS if he's not getting paid at least $500,000 a season. He's seen players like Cobi Jones have a goal-less season and get paid $300,000. He's gonna get many offers from other countries at the end of the season, especially after helping FC Dallas win the MLS Cup and leading Guatemala to the World Cup.

6. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Carlos wanted to stay in the states he would of redone his deal last year. He didn't because MLS wanted more years, he wants to go to the next level. Whether that be Mexico or somewhere in Europe he will be leaving MLS next season, GUARANTEED!!. Enjoy him while you have him he will not be here next year.

7. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    What are you doing to yourself when you eliminate the means and project the end?

Never discount human potential.

Those who know they don't know - know.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    MLS should definitely re-sign him, and especially if Guatemala makes the World Cup. If he impresses there, they can sell him for a nice sum.

9. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    So when (and I say when because he has said this is his last year in the league) who should we go after?

I say JOB.

10. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    He's injured more often than Evel Kneivel.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And like Sissy Donovan he'll only play for a California team. Right now he's signed with a club in Holland for a few seasons, which means, at a minimum, he has to be making around $500k according to foreign player minimum salary rules in the Eredivisie. Not gonna happen.

12. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    You also make a valid point, but mine was funnier.

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yes, I fully concede the humor points to you on this one, Zen.

14. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    That's no fun...

15. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Excellent point :)

16. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004