News: Ruh roh, China calls for a new reserve currency

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by shooter6065, Mar 23, 2009.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7851925a-17a2-11de-8c9d-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

I have been saying for a long time that our profligate spending will eventually cost us our reserve currency status. That day of reckoning appears to be drawing close. Russia proposed this very same thing a week ago, but they have no clout and nobody takes those buffoons seriously.

However, China demanding a new reserve currency is a whole different ball game. Now we need to take notice. All it takes now is for the Arabs to jump on board and it will be curtains for the dollar's reserve currency status.

When this thing eventually comes to pass, and I believe it will in time, the dollar will be one of the currencies that make up the basket along with the yen, euro, sterling and who knows what else.

But the artificial demand for the dollar will collapse......central banks, companies and individuals will no longer need as many dollars and will be able to easily make transactions and carry other currencies.

Bernanke is running the printing press at full power. It appears the Democrats now running Washington clearly have no intention of addressing the coming entitlement debacle.

The Chinese have decided to make a hasty escape from the entire mess..........and who can blame them?

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    why do you sound happy?

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I would be happy. I doubt that shooter really would, though, from my meager interactions with him.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take it seriously when they stop artificially pegging their currency to the dollar. Until then it's chest puffing.

5. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am so delighted the currency I hold money in is poised for a big fall because of our disastrous policies. I get a warm feeling. Seriously.

Time to diversify.........in anything other than the dollar. Naturally, I'll keep my mortgage in dollars because I have no other choice but, most importantly, I will be able to pay it back in depreciated dollars.

6. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah. I am wondering how they are going to make this jibe with the dollar peg. Are they going to unpeg it with this SDR or what?

I don't think I will call their bluff. I think I'll diversify.

What tells me is that this is not a bluff is that it came from the central bank governor and not some hack in the Finance Ministry or Communist Party.

7. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, I have been predicting this for a long time and am somewhat positioned to take advantage of it.

But this is the end game for the United States. No more running perpetual monster twin fiscal and trade deficits.

8. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Indeed that would be wise, to have all your long term debt in US dollars would be the ideal think to do.

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is all going to end disastrously, but there isn't a way around it. America created the problem with it's unending trade of green paper for other nation's stuff, but it could only work if other countries went along with it and perverted the world money supply in order to keep it going.

10. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Conducting business with other nations did not cause this problem. It was the billions and billions that we have printed over the past year and the trillions we have financed abroad.

11. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I've been saving an old truck I have precisely for this instance. I'll sell it in about a year for $2.5M and pay off all my debts.

12. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Spejcic is right. We have grossly consumed more than we have produced via sending greenbacks abroad for mostly consumer goodies. That will all come to an end. The good news is that it could lead to an eventual revival of American manufacturing way down the road.

13. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have a friend who bought a billion Zimbabwe dollars (or whatever they are called) on Ebay for a dollar or something.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how societal regression could ever be considered good news.

15. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I don't see how governments being forced to shrink could ever be considered societal regression.

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither. But returning to a manufacturing based economy would be

17. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    It would take a tremendous sea change for that to ever happen. I suppose that, if hyper-inflation were to indeed arrive, the $75 p/h paid to employ auto workers would be a drop in the bucket and maybe the US could begin to compete again. Either way, I'm not very nationalistic so it really doen't matter to me where things are made. Most of what I sell is made in India and Indonesia, to be honest.

18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If the world had actual free trade instead of a government-subsidized anti-protectionism, pretty quickly the world would have a large bunch of American green paper and they wouldn't take any more until they could use the ones they already had. Things naturally balance out. But it would mean that we live with less and, more importantly, those other nations have oil/labor output/material that has no where to go.

But instead they conspired to keep the situation going. They were willing to take and keep green paper for stuff, year after year. It's like a bar that lets you keep a tab and never calls it in for decades. Wouldn't you get used to drinking Dom Pérignon every day? It takes more than one party to make this mess.

19. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    The peg has gradually been adjusted to a real exchange rate since the 1980s and has been finally lifted in 2005, so you can take it seriously...I still don't though, because China needs the Dollar. They have no choice, because given the fact that they own the biggest Dollar reserves out there, China would be the biggest loser of a Dollar-depreciation.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the ********??????

One of Obama's big initiatives is in health care.

21. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Taking green paper for stuff? How is that any different than me going the supermarket and giving Mr. Walton $50 for some milk, eggs, and steaks?

If your talking about taking the green paper and keeping them to finance our debt, as in the Chinese have close to 1 trillion in US reserves, then you will notice I am in agreement with you.

22. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I think he's talking about its solvency.

23. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    This is sending a message to the Treasury Department that if they keep printing greenback as if there is no tomorrow then major central banks will have to diversify. It all has to do with the over production of paper money called Dollar. Chinese are trying to maintain its value while Bernanke keeps printing more.

24. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a reserve currency, it's called gold.

25. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes it is. And Obama realizes that the biggest problem with health care is the cost. We spend twice as much in GDP terms as everyone else.

Unfortunately, he proposes spending EVEN MORE MONEY, without ever really addressing the cost issue. You are not going to save 10's of trillions by fiddling with medical records.

Until somebody addresses the cost inflation in the medical sector and takes on the medical-industrial complex, this is all mental masturbation and eye-wash, nothing else.