RSL vs. Puntarenas (Costa Rica) June 19th

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by I_Believe_In_Kreis, Jun 9, 2010.

1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SANDY, Utah (Wednesday, June 9, 2010) – In preparation for Real Salt Lake’s upcoming participation in the 2010-11 edition of the CONCACAF Champions League, the team welcomes Costa Rican power Puntarenas to the Wasatch Front on Saturday, June 19, with a 7:00 p.m. kickoff at Rio Tinto Stadium. The contest against Puntarenas represents Real Salt Lake’s 14th international exhibition game during its first six seasons, just weeks prior to the team’s first-ever foray into meaningful international competition against the slew of CONCACAF opponents during the region’s Champions League Group Play.

Officially named Puntarenas F.C., the club is based in the Costa Rican city of the same name, capitol of the eponymous province on the Pacific Ocean side of the Central American country. Since being founded in 2004, Puntarenas have established themselves as a perennial contender in the Costa Rican First Division, with five semifinal appearances in the last nine tournaments and a berth in the 2007 CONCACAF Champions Cup Quarterfinals (now known as the CONCACAF Champions League).

"On the heels of some outstanding international games in 2009, we are looking to take the next step forward as a club and establish ourselves not just as MLS Champions, but as a regional powerhouse in 2010,” said Real Salt Lake General Manager Garth Lagerwey, recalling the 2009 MLS All-Star Game featuring Everton FC (England) and the U.S. Men's World Cup Qualifier vs. El Salvador, as well as visits last year by Mexican powers Club América and Chivas de Guadalajara, "In order to accomplish that we must succeed in the CONCACAF Champions League. We are excited to host Puntarenas for this match, as they are precisely the type of opponent we will face later this fall. We hope our fans will swell with Utah pride and come out to support us as we prepare to take on the world and put RSL on the map."

After failing to qualify for the playoffs in their inaugural Apertura and Clausura seasons, Puntarenas reached the First Division semifinals in each of the last four seasons. In December, the club advanced to the finals of 2009 playoffs, known as the “Campeonato Invierno de Scotiabank,” the first finals appearance in club history, but lost to Brujas FC, 5-4 on penalty kicks after finishing their two-game series tied 1-1. In the recently-completed 2010 “Campeonato Verano de Scotiabank,” Puntarenas again advanced to the postseason stage, losing to Alajuelense 3-5 on aggregate in the quarterfinals and ending their season. The team’s aggregate record in 40 games played between the 2009/10 Invierno/Verano seasons was 10-14-16 for 46 points, with 42 goals scored and 53 goals allowed, placing the team 7th overall across the two campaigns.

Puntarenas are managed by Jorge Walter González Estévez, who took charge of the club back on January 6, prior to the start of the current season. The 55-year-old Uruguayan has more than 20 years of coaching experience in Chile, Indonesia and his native Uruguay.

All-time, RSL has posted a 6-4-3 mark against visiting international squads, with a positive goal differential (17 goals for / 16 goals against). Puntarenas joins some of the planet’s most revered clubs in facing Real Salt Lake, as Spain’s Real Madrid (2006), Argentina’s Boca Juniors (2007), England’s Everton FC (2007/09) and Mexico’s Club América and Chivas de Guadalajara (2009) have previously blazed the trail to Utah.

All Real Salt Lake season ticket holders are assured of their current seats for the Saturday, June 19 contest vs. Puntarenas F.C. by using tickets labeled “Exhibition Game A” and have the ability to purchase a select number of additional, specially-priced tickets. Tickets go on sale to the general public via www.RioTintoStadium.com THURSDAY morning at 10:00 a.m. MT.

Ticket prices for the Saturday, June 19 Real Salt Lake vs. Puntarenas match begin at $14 for those purchasing KFC vouchers (visit KFC locations along the Wasatch Front or the Rio Tinto Stadium box office for information on the KFC “Kids’ Club tickets for Saturday, June 19). Puntarenas stand-alone prices start at just $15 for Upper Deck seats and continue at $18 and $20 in the North and South Goals, $30 in the Lower Sideline area, $40 at East Side Midfield and $60 in the Front Row and West Side Midfield areas. For more information, please visit www.RealSaltLake.com or www.RioTintoStadium.com.

2. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess maybe 4000 show up with those ticket prices for a non-Mexican friendly

3. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Come on! My fake press release was way better. And almost better teams.

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I thought it was another fake one, but Michael Lewis is reporting it too. Hopefully it ends up being a good game.

5. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I don't speak Spanish, but that sounds like a dirty word to me.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Having a competitive match in the middle of the WC break is a great idea. I hope that this keeps them sharp for a very tough match-up with San Jose on the following Friday.

I just might have to go once they start discounting the prices. Maybe a two for one. I hope.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL vs Neon Orange Bitch Sharks

9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    "Bitch sharks"?

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    puntarenas sounds a lot like, especially the first part, the spanish word for bitch (which is ironically blocked, but bitch is not... ha ha).

11. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn. I hate to sound like a hater, but the quality of our international friendlies have decreased quite a bit since Everton and Real Madrid where in Utah.

12. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but what is the alternative during the World Cup. We could pay to bring in Man U. Of course they would be without their entire starting line, how much fun would that be?

13. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL had already announced that they are not going to pay top dollar this summer to bring in some team's 'B' squad. It is the team name that commands the dollar amount when friendlies are negotiated - not necessarily what players will be there. Top players are gone for the World Cup. Take into account that the clubs must give participants something like a month break after they finish the cup, and RSL would not be able to invite a full squad from one of the top clubs until early August. By then, they already have a packed schedule due to the CCL.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah who in their right mind would want to see ryan giggs, paul scholes, VDS, Valencia, Berbatov, etc... this is excuse holds no water. Just because they are sans rooney doesnt mean their whole "A" team is gone. The freakin legend Ryan Giggs would play... RYAN ********ING GIGGS IN THE RioT!!!

with that said... It makes sense to bring in a similar style team to what you will face in the upcoming tournament. I think a Mexican team would have gotten more $ but likely would have cost more $ as well.

I will be interested to see how many starters actually go in this one

15. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a friendly or part of the Concaf Champions League?

No friendly could be less cool as Harbour View.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a friendly to prepare us for Champions League soccer... so yes

17. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $10 tickets for season ticket holders. The FO is also phoning STHs - must be a slow sales week.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No real surprise there.
    You can trade in your ticket for a future RSL game... as long as fireworks arent featured

19. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I would love to see Man U, but I can live without it. But we could have brought River Plate, Vasco Da Gama, Deportivo Cali, Comunicaciones, or even freaking Xerez. But this obscure Puntarenas? WTH is that about?

http://www.futboldecostarica.com/primera/index.php
    Puntarenas FC is the 8th ranked team of the 12 team Costa Rican league.

We might as well play the Whitecaps or the Impact as an international friendly.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any Saborio connection with Puntarenas FC?

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like preparation for the World Cup, you play friendlies against teams you think play a similar style with those you'll face in the tourney. For the USNT, Czechs = Slovenia, Turkey = Algeria, Australia = England. Not equals, really, just approximates. And a Central American team is among the ones we need to face, after a game against a Mexican side last September. A good opponent, but one few folks list when noting memorable international opponents whove come to Salt Lake City.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with how young that club is, I highly doubt it

23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um.....I guess seeing if Berbatov is as, how would you put it, "lounge-lizardish" as these posts here, here, here, here and here suggest would be interesting.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the piece that guy wrote on Beckham during the US v England game was priceless