RSL vs. Chivas USA July 9 banter [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what i'm here for. straight up anger. none of this coddling crap
    "well, he does run hard" "well he is having a decent game" "well he hasnt been entirely at fault for the goals"
    i'm tired of this ********, you cant even use the expansion team crutch on this one because we got our asses whipped by the other EXPANSION team.

now i didnt expect much out of our expansion team but i'd like to think we can keep it competative against the other basement teams. a close, one goal loss i would have understood. but a 5-1 asswhuppiing? from Chivas? that is ********ing unacceptable.
    and if i was pastorino i would have fired Ellinger's ass on the spot
    (and regretted it later,and i would bring him back but still i would have fired him)

2. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Wow 5-1. I saw it all in HD, thanks to HDnet. I love both teams but by Aguest 15 transfer window you need a whole set of players or may be a new coach.

[​IMG]

3. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    The backline is taking a lot of well deserved heat but with no midfield in front of them and ZERO attack they had to defend for 90 minutes. Chivas wants to attack and don't care about defending as evidenced by their league record pace on GAA so they have to be punished for their all out attack. Poor RSL just had no response going forward so Chivas defended with none and attacked with 10. More needs to be said about Mathis, Kreis, Watson, Cutler and Brown for providing nothing in this game.
    This game wasn't much different from the Chicago-NE game tonight, Chicago overwhelmed the NE defense because they also had no attack(MNT callups) but they have a great goalie who had a great game to keep it 1-0. That game could/should have been 4/5-0 also but wasn't, perhaps that's why they are one of the top teams.

4. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill
    There's a lot of frustration on the boards with the loss to the last place team and it's WELL deserved. Bottom line, we had no defense, DJ didn't come to game , Benchke 's almost on goal but then saved by Benchke and the midfield couldn't get the ball to the forwards. Mathis had one of his better games and thanks to Watson, Mathis got the long awaited goal. Don't think we really can say much about Kreis and Watson since both didn't get the ball up top. It was a little different for Watson to do a lot with Chivas Ezar wrapped around him the whole game. But you gotta give Watson credit, he didn't back down to the "giant". Brown and Cutler, well not sure what game they were playing in...However, it was difficult watching the game from the nose bleed section. Seems that Direct Kick would of had better coverage on the field.
    Let's hope this is the worse we will seem from here out.

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No words can possibly describe my agony right now.

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Every fan of every team has felt what you feel now at least once.

For me it was Metro getting extermintated by KC in 1999: 6 - 0.
    In fact the whole 1999 season was a total loss. and we've had several 4-0 drubbings as well, on both sides of 1999.

You aren't the first to feel as you do now; you won't be the last.

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, in the end it's only 3 points..... Ellinger has got to start being worried about his job though. I think his performance to date has been about a C+ at best.

8. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    In defense of ellinger... he has gotten alot of other teams throw aways.. When chivas started with a lousy team they replaced alot right away.. It doesn't seem like real has that luxury... Also If you look at the "stars" you got kreis really was a star in his earlier days but isn't a standout like others still going to us call ups...also he hadn't produce much last year for dallas so they got rid of his big salary.... Mathis has had problems on all teams. He did nothing in ny and then had problems in europe so his name got the excitement up for real but he can't make it stick if he doesn't produce.... give real time they will get better...

9. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    You know everyone was fired up after the past several games because of the apparent progress. Now you're calling for Ellinger's head. Chill!!! These types of games will happen. Let's see how they bounce back next week.

I think a missing Andy Williams played a large part (along with Pope, Dunseth, Pierce).

10. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You chill chump.....
    If you think that Ellinger is getting these guys to overachieve, then you've got your head up your ass.
    You critisize Ellinger and people get all up in your business, he's not untouchable people. Quite frankly he's mucked up a lot of things this year. He's been painfully slow to call up Watson, and then he releases Rojas and not Behncke? What the hell is that? I don't think RSL should be at the top of the west, but they haven't been competitive. The Crapids are running away from us for god sakes. Wake up people! Chivas made changes and they seem to be benefiting. If we sit on our Laurels, they are going to pass our ass in a hurry.

11. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Guys, you need changes fast! the goats made some changes already and funny as it seems, still are within range of RSL, with new and supposedly better players still to come.

I was at the HDC and RSL didnt even tried

12. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i'm giving ellinger a while to settle. no need to call for his job yet.

as was mentioned above, this team is made up of a bunch of players that other teams put on the "we don't care if you stay or go" list for the expansion draft. it is going to take a very long time to even the playing field in this league when we don;t really have much of value to trade that we want to get rid of. pope is just about the only guy we could trade around and get something worthwhile and there is no way we should let pope go.

the point is that it distressing when we lose 5-1 to chivas. very distressing. but this is an expansion team with a lot of hope, but not a lot of promise right now. there are going to be more 5-1 drubbings but it's not ellinger's fault. he's got to follow the rules mls has laid out. the best thing he could do is look at some new player acquisitions next season and dump some non-performers. but it's going to take a while to build this team. what happened with chicago is not par for the course for expansion teams.

13. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    Tough loss for you guys. Hopefully everyone (players, coach, fans) will bounce back.

At least Mathis, in my opinion, scored the goal of the week. Small consolation, but somehting.

14. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Knowles was getting dusted left and right too - he did more (or as much) damage early than Behncke did... it was a comedy of errors. Behncke was no worse than Knowles - both were completely outclassed... either guy might be ok at times with the right central defending pair up but the two of them together was simply awful.

15. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sure... but when you give a goal in the 4th minute, then another in the 16th minute, look shaky every time Chivas is near the penalty area, and ONLY know how to launch the ball forward (right back to Chivas for possession)... I don't know how much you can criticize the forwards. Especially when they have to spend 70% of the match helping defend.

16. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Listen, nobody is asking for RSL to win the title this year like Chicago did. We're just asking for some long term vision or cohesiveness.
    One week we're playing a 4-5-1, the next a 3-5-2 the next a 4-4-2. It just seems that Ellinger is flying by the seat of his pants, and what is most concerning is that we are not getting better. Just get better each week, that's all that I'm asking.
    1/2 step forward two steps back.
    And the lack of effort on the field has to go back to Ellinger. The buck stops with him. Mathis, Kamler and Kreis not stepping up as veteran leaders has gone completly unpunished. I get the impression that those guys are running the club and not Ellinger.
    What the hell is the long term vision from this guy? Is getting Broome for a second rounder our long term vision? I'm just baffled by the logic that is being applied to many of these decisions.
    And FYI, I never called for his head. I just said that he should be getting nervous right about now. Like I said, C+, but sliding fast. Once he hits the D range, then he's gone.

17. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Chivas have only beaten us twice - no one else. They've lost plenty of games with their "changes"... Let's just call a spade a spade - they're no model for who to build a successful franchise. Despite the win, there still 4 points behind us and we've got a game in hand.

Let's see if they can actually beat someone else, before we hold them up for a model for success.

18. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    We had many problems last night but the most glaring was defensive. The problem is that we had two center backs with little experience (ability notwithstanding) Against an offense like Chivas runs you need to be sharp on defense and then launch a quick counter attack. With Knowles and Behncke running the back line (I don't know who was in charge) we missed many offside traps that opened the door for the goats. Timing on traps is critical and the line needs to act as one. How many times did only part of the back line step up? How many times was the step up mis-timed? With Pope running the line you would have seen far fewer screwups. Then when we did win a ball back, instead of jumping on a counter attack we would slowly try to move forward or we would miss the front man all together and the ball would end up back with Chivas. We were a team that was perfect for the kind of football the goats play.
    I was also frustrated with offensive opportunities missed. Too many times we tried to play for a better spot when we should have just taken the shot! (hey, that was a rhyme :D ) I don't think we are in desperate straights--we lost and we'll probably lose again but we'll win again too. But it still hurts a lot :mad:

19. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Amen. I saw the same buffoonery on the offsides (or lack of their ability to move the line up well... At least 3 of the 5 goals started on runs where they completely mishandled the offsides trap.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(
    Very sad, all around. Everyone has it right. Defense, Ellinger, everything fell apart last night. But hey, I remember when the super Crapids last year lost to the hapless Revs 5-1 (and this was when Cannon was the real MVP).
    By the way, does it count as a own-goal on Kamler when Martins uses him as a ball puncher?
    Chivas still sucks, their changes don't mean anything. All they have done so far is lost Suarez. That makes them worse. But last night RSL really stank it up.
    I am glad for the hopeless Chivas fans that they won big. It will stop the dam from breaking on them.
    But nothing went right for RSL last night, nothing.

21. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I didn't say Ellinger was getting anyone to overachieve. And I never said he was untouchable. I'm just pointing out that one day folks are excited about a possible turn-around in the demeaner of the team and the next week everyone sucks and the world is coming to an end. If you're expecting perfect ball the rest of the season, it ain't gonna happen.

How many starters were missing last night anyway? We were playing reserves on that back line!

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely agree.
    However, for the Chivas/RSL game on July 9 2005, RSL did suck.
    And I quote Coach Ellinger "We looked like crap".
    Good night.

23. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, that is what happens after a 5-1 loss to the worst team in all of MLS. If the sky isn't falling after that type of calamity, then may I respectfully ask, when should we hit the old panic button?

24. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we lose 5-1 to the Thunder.

25. TheTroller

TheTroller Red Card

Jul 11, 2005
    Earth
    OMG, you guy's can't even beat Chivas USA? You guy's are sorry!