RSL vs Bulls Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Apr 15, 2006.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's either a compliment or an insult depending on how you read it.

2. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I heard it, and it was definately positive.

3. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Yes, a classic "backhanded" compliment.

4. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sorry, I forgot fuegote is an RCB. Scuffle in corner-any details?

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I've got some pics, but they are WAY too big of resolution to post. Pretty much a NY fan was being beligerant, taunting etc. Long story short, a nice scuffle followed. NY fan was kicked out. He got punched, kicked and kneed pretty good. Not that I condone it, but he was in enemy territory, prancing around like a dumbass.

6. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Is that what it was, the NY A.H.?! I always miss the good stuff. I went to say hi to some people on the West side, I missed the juicy stuff.
    This begs two questions:
    1. Do fights in our stands give us any more street cred in the MLS (I can't believe the pictures from the DC/NY fight-bottlefight-brawl!)
    2. How does one choose between fan sections?

7. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Only with the handful of fans who are into that sort of thing. Smoke, tifo, flags, big numbers, etc tend to do a better job of building "cred." Look at the Timbers Army, they're not even in MLS but most would rate them better than a good 85% of MLS groups.

8. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    No. But it does nothing to hurt our street cred either. People understood not to mess with Tony Montoya in those first 30 minutes of Scarface.

But what is the point? "Street cred" is like Bigsoccer "rep"...coveted but ultimately worthless.

9. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sorry, I should have put a little more emphasis on the sarcasm. Although I happen to know that fuegote's brother stabbed a Chivas fan with a trumpet. (Again, sarcasm, just in case)

10. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Screw street cred.

Fighting is retarded. (then why did you take pictures of it boz?) Um....I don't know! Because I was there?!

Though way huge, here are two pictures of the event:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow.....HUGE PHOTO'S!

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just in my mind or does that guy's sweater say "The Loyalists"? I've never seen that before... Pretty cool.

13. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't tell me that you had problems seeing that! ;)

Edit: To the Loyalists credit, and before people start accusing, they were trying to contain the madness.

14. fuegote

fuegote Member

May 15, 2005
    I'm not sad I missed this since it was clearly during the goal. by the way, the South side rocks, I finally got to see a goal.

15. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

LOL about the southside goal. Let's hope there is no curse on the North end this season!

Yeah, the fight happened right after Kreis' header.

16. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That curse sucked! It seemed like it lasted forever. Remember when Andy scored the MLS 5000 goal on the north end? I'm not sure if it was the first, but it was awesome. The north and corner sections went wild.

17. mrstucki

mrstucki Member

Aug 23, 2004
    10 min. from stadium
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It was the first goal in the north end. I remember because I ended up with a free furnace courtesy of Lennox because of it.

18. fuegote

fuegote Member

May 15, 2005
    and we couldn't catch him!

19. RSLKamasBranch

Nov 2, 2005
    Nice. I remember that. Congrats.

20. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Stucki, you lucky punk!

21. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    Hey all - just wanted to let you know that the family was in town for Easter and fixed our MLS jones with the RSL-NYRB game - and share a few quick impressions ...

Unless both teams get some spine on the defensive end Tony and Garlick's backs may go out picking the ball out of the net. Both teams were familiar with "marking" on defense only in the sense that they've seen better teams actually mark their teammates Don't let any descriptions of the defense on the NYRB goal fool you - the defense was infinitely worse than you could ever imagine.

The missus and I remarked that in one sense, watching that game was like we never left home. With Mo Johnston, Taylor Graham, Chris Brown, Chris Klein, Chris Henderson, Tony Meola, and Carey Talley there was almost a complete (former) Wizards team on the field.

Klein looked great - dangerous runs on the flank and overlaps to the center. His assist on the Kreis goal was a thing of beauty. Henderson, on the other hand, was disappointing. Everyone else from old Wizards days was pretty nondescript.

I thought the RSL midfield and forwards did really well going forward and working in combination together. There were a number of nice combinations and changes in the point of attack that opened things up when going at the goal. If Tony hadn't resurrected some past glory it would have been a cakewalk for you. The midfield looked like it did a pretty good job in the middle third disrupting the attack, but boy ... when NYRB got in the defensive 1/3 and the midfielders had to track back it was an adventure.

I was surprised that Andy Williams had his way with Marvell Wynne all night.

I love the setting nestled up against the Wasatch, but I felt like Rice-Eccles had little if any true soccer atmosphere on the concourses or in the approach. Of course, we did come in the stadium from the northeast gate and after kickoff. I would have preferred getting there earlier and hanging out, but

I was really disappointed there was no mention any of the other games going on in the league - I had to wait for the Bottom Line on ESPN when we got back to the hotel to get the Wizards score. Is that something that's normal during a game, especially during half-time?

It also seemed like the in-game promotion of upcoming games was a little light.

The seats are outrageously priced ... the $27 seats we got were the equivalent of $17 tickets in KC. The football marking on the FieldTurf were U-G-L-Y and you could tell the teams weren't used to the speed of the surface.

I feel the way that field is marked up, no one around the league should have room to talk about lines on Arrowhead when pointy-ball rolls around.

I hope you get an SSS before or at the same time the Wizards move back to the West.

22. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    These are all valid points. Always good to get neutral impressions. I agree RES has a lot of overly expensive (yet not very good) seats.