RSL Player News/Rumor/Gossip Part IV

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Yep, unless its for Landycakes or Martin Palermo...

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer windows cover incoming players. Each league determines its own transfer windows. This primary MLS window for incoming players runs from January 1 (I have also read Jan. 15) to March 31, so we have plenty of time to bring someone in, even for a DP slot. Even teams in leagues where the window is closed can transfer players out - just can't replace them via transfer! And regardless, anyone out of contract is not bound by the transfer window.

3. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    MLS is unique in terms of FIFA and transfer windows anyway because MLS holds all player contracts. Since the player's contract is still with the same entity, a player can be moved inside of MLS without regards to transfer windows and transfer fees.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So off goes Nelson Akwari. He had two very good games early last July. I remember them well - that makes 2 out of 31 appearances for RSL.

I am not particularly sad to see him go, though even with the signing of Lancos we seemed short a defender. Palguta, huh?

5. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Soto's the only one I'm really sad to see go—he had some great moments and I feel like he never had time to mesh with the team. (I did go to high school with Acosta, and he was the lowest-paid player on the team, so I don't see that much cash coming in through ditching him.)

I am glad Williams wasn't waived, too. His contribution to the success RSL did have last season has been undervalued.

6. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    It appears Soto left on his own accord...

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had high hopes for Acosta, RSL's first Utah player, but I guess he never shined.

Good luck to him, Akwari and Soto.

8. SoccerSmack

SoccerSmack New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Draper, UT
    SP, wasn't Sergio Flores technically the first Utah player?

9. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I said it last year when he got to the league, no way that Soto, a big fish in Costa Rica with some life left in his legs and with good CV would accept being a reserve team player here. Ellinger had to use him or he'd leave. I compared it to the Cabrera situation - at least Cabrera gave it more time before calling it quits. Both, however, did not come to MLS to play reserve team games and there is no way that they would stay for long if that was their destiny. Soto was written off from RSL 2007 long before this announcement.

As for other news, we're now rid of Chris Brown and Nelson Akwari both this offseason. Looks like we're chopping the dead wood. I like to see that!

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NICE!

11. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is retiring. RSL tried the whole offseason to talk him out of it but they couldn't.

Where did Chris Brown go?

12. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got rid of Chris Brown??

13. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Chris Brown did not leave RSL. His name is on the Spring Training Roster that just came out.

these are the only players that departed in the offseason
    Jay Nolly, Goalkeeper
    Nelson Akwari, Defender
    Douglas Sequeira, Midfielder
    Jafet Soto, Midfielder
    Cameron Knowles, Defender
    Adam Acosta, Forward

We will actually get another Chance to see Jeff Rowland who was waived at the beginningof last season due to a season ending injury. He is on the RSL Roster

14. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Conspicuously absent from the list of acquired players is Nick Rimando.
    here is the list of acquired players.

Player Position Former Club/College How Acquired
    Freddy Adu Midfielder D.C. United Trade (12/11/2006)
    Luis Tejada Forward Plaza Amador (Panama) Transfer (12/12/2006)
    Chris Seitz Goalkeeper Maryland SuperDraft (1/12/2007)
    Steven Curfman Defender Wake Forest SuperDraft (1/12/2007)
    Kyle Brown Forward New England Revolution Trade (1/12/2007)
    Haddon Kirk Defender North Carolina State Supplemental Draft (1/18/2007)
    Kyle Reynish Goalkeeper UC-Santa Barbara Supplemental Draft (1/18/2007)
    Dustin Kirby Midfielder Ohio State Supplemental Draft (1/18/2007)
    Jared Kent Midfielder Old Dominion Supplemental Draft (1/18/2007)

15. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Two trialists join RSL on Monday, including Provo-born Brigham Young University standout Steve Magleby, and USL Division I DF Scott Palguta, a former Cornell University star who led the Rochester Rhinos in games played (29) last season.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think you are right. I just forget these players that never saw any first team action. :(

17. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Best of luck to Magleby. I’ve been waiting for one our local PDL boys to make it big with RSL… That’s a surprise that he’s giving RSL a shot, since it’s my understanding that he’s only a junior at BYU.

He’s a beefy specimen at 6’2” and plays forward even though he’s listed as a midfielder.

I’d like to see Bruno Baca (from Ogden Outlaws) get a shot as well. He played for some lower division teams in Argentina before he immigrated.

18. huntingfool1203

huntingfool1203 New Member

May 9, 2006
    Where can we find the training camp roster?

19. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    right here on Are You Loyal?

20. huntingfool1203

huntingfool1203 New Member

May 9, 2006
    Thanks!

21. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006

Sorry to get people too excited. I thought that he was waived a while back - maybe I was dreaming.

As for Soto, I don't think he retired. I believe he is playing somewhere - I recall hearing someone tell me they saw him sign closer to home.

22. Darn, we could've had Chuck-A-Rama as one of our sponsors if he'd stayed.

23. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Steve Goff is reporting that Nick Ramando's fate should be resolved by Wednesday (if not sooner) and that the two leading teams for him to go to are....Dallas and TFKAM. I would assume that would fetch something for RSL (probably a low draft pick). Frankly, neither team makes sense to me b/c TFKAM just signed Wattereus to a $110K deal and has Conway plus want to preserve cap room for their 2nd DP if they can. As for Dallas, I know that Salas is suspended for the season opener and their is a rumor that Hislop still isn't healthy but those two guys are both strong keepers with decent contracts--you can't add Rimando if both remain. But Goff is indicating those are the two teams he's likely to go to.

Just guessing but if it is TFKAM, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some other element like you get a first round pick but trade them cap space plus Rimando--something like that. I have no idea of RSL's cap situation but I'd guess you're out from under the Mathis fiasco and should be in decent shape cap-wise this year--yes?

24. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are looking to trade Rimando because there is no cap space... or room.

Who is TFKAM?

I always thought that Columbus would be interested in him.