RSL Player News/Rumor/Gossip Part IV

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I did the same thing.. However, the quote looks like "newspeak" and not the posters own words.. Hard to know at this point..

2. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that this rumor is not true. Does anyone know what Cunningham's contract is currently like?

3. shaharv

shaharv Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Its informed in many israeli sites.

4. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Now there are sources in that thread..
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10552295&postcount=4

It's not a done deal as the negotiations between MLS and the club there are not complete, it says..
    Perhaps Cunningham's side of it was agreed to and now it's just the MLS end of it..

5. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Do we really need any more reasons to have Ellinger fired? First, he tries to reunite the U-17 national team with RSL. Then he allows the League friggin' leading scorer last season to bolt!

What an arse!!!

6. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Except the sources are all in hebrew! And there are no pictures of Cunningham. I refuse to believe it until I see a source I can understand with my own two eyes. Taking someone else's word for it, isn't credible in my opinion.

If it were the case, I would proceed to cry my eyes out.

7. 4Foosball

4Foosball Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    someone enlighten me please...

If it's reported they're in negotiations does this actually mean there's some interest on RSL or Jeff's part. In the EPL there's interest in every player from every other team and it's always in the news. Just because there's interest doesn't mean it's being recipricated. Someone please tell me that RSL isn't REALLY interested

8. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    If any of this is true, it seems it is being reported that Jeff and the team have agreed on terms and now it's up to MLS to agree to sell him and at what price.. Again.. That is just what it appears those who can read the reports are saying they say..

The direct negotiations between MLS and the Israeli team are supposed to start tomorrow, again, according to what is being said..

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Was JC out of contract? If so, he has every right to find the highest bidder and pursue it.

10. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Cunningham was supposedly out of contract, but if that is the case, then why would MLS and the Israeli club need to agree to a transfer fee (as is being reported)? So if there is any truth to this, it would seem that either:

1. Cunningham has signed with Israel and it just won't be announced until this week (perhaps waiting to see what happens with the stadium?).

2. Cunningham signed quietly with MLS and just now received this offer (which would make you wonder what's wrong with the Israeli team that they let him sign with MLS if they were willing to pay a transfer fee for him. Why not just offer him half the transfer fee as part of his salary and save some cash?).

3. This is a negotiating tactic by Cunningham in getting a better deal with MLS, which is what I think may be the most likely scenario. In other words, Cunningham will say "Maccabi whatever will pay me $X, from you guys I want $x + 10% or I'm gone." So they have agreed to terms, but Cunningham is letting MLS come back with a better offer.

4. Maybe RSL is trying to unload him to save salary space for Beasley or some other DP. I will be seriously ticked off if this is the case, unless they bring in Thierry Henry or Ruud Van Nistelroy.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS transfers Cunningham for $200k, they are idiots...
    What a totally dumb idea.

You heard it hear first. ;)

12. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    There must be a zero missing somewhere...:)

13. Merk

Merk Member

Aug 10, 2005
    15th & 15th
    Our source in the FO says nothing to worry about.

14. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    more like two

How much did Dempsey go to Fulham for? JC is worth something similar to him, maybe a bit lessbecause he doesn't have the caps that Dempsey does, but not that much less.

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ewwwww.......

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint went to Fulham for $4 million. Thats six 0s for you kids doing the math.

17. Zealot

Zealot New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Israeli sports website One quoted the Maccabi Netanya manager Reuven Atar earlier today as saying the Cunningham deal was far from complete and that negotiations were very complicated and "time is not on our side."

Shortly after, the same site reported that Maccabi Netanya signed a 23 year old striker from the Ivory Coast who had been playing in Belgium, effectively ending the club's pursuit of Cunningham.

18. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Thanks for that good news.. Let's hope it stays that way..:)

19. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From SI.com today...

20. Merk

Merk Member

Aug 10, 2005
    15th & 15th
    I think SI is behind the times on this one. As I said yesterday, my RSL source says that the offer that the foreign team made was "grossly" undervalued and "it doesn't appear that Jeff is going anywhere."

I think SI.com is just rehashing the initial reports that we were seeing on Sunday, reports that my source and current Israeli press have debunked.

21. huntingfool1203

huntingfool1203 New Member

May 9, 2006

where did you hear this from?

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer America had tidbits relevant to this conversation.

Salary cap-issues are clouding the status of Andy Williams as well as Nick Rimando, who was acquired from D.C. United in the Freddy Adu trade but has yet to agree on a salary. The team is being dinged $100,000 against the cap as a condition of trading Clint Mathis to Colorado.

A bid for Jeff Cunningham was received from an unspecified Israeli club. General manager Steve Pastorino noted that it fell "about $990,000 short" of what it would probably take to acquire Cunningham, who led MLS last season with 16 goals.

RSL has landed Chris Lancos, who was picked up in last year's supplementary draft. He signed with Kaiserslautern last winter and has decided to return home after being unable to break out of the reserves.

"He's played almost every reserve game at holding mid, but he played four years at right back at Maryland and a couple of years he led the team in assists, so offensively he can play," says Ellinger, who traveled to Germany to see Lancos in a match. "You just had to put a bungee cord on him at times when I had him [with the U.S. U-17s].

"The game I saw he got red-carded with about seven minutes to go, but then we had dinner and he seemed good about the possibility. He called me over the break and said he liked to do it so we started the process."

Ellinger plans to play Lancos at right back if he goes with a four-man defense but says he can play wide in a five-man midfield.

23. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  24. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to point out that I called Nelson not being on the team this year.

Scott Palguta is in town training with the team. He is from Roch Rhinos. He trained with RSL for a week or so back in August.

25. Immanuel Kant

Immanuel Kant Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If I understand right, the transfer window is closed now. Does this effectively mean we won't be using our DP slot this year?