RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a time minimum that the player has to be in the academy to qualify for homegrown status. Salcedo was like barely the limit

it’s a good thing, imo, for the players. Let them find the right environment to grow

2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree, but how does it work if one player qualifies as a HG for one team but then leaves for another before they are 18 or are offered a contract as a pro?

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's MLS... who the hell knows and also it doesn't matter

4. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tl;dr:
    • Elimination of sweeping territories (good)
    • MLS teams will be allowed to place up to 54 players on their youth player protected lists: 45 who play in their academy and nine who aren’t in their academy but who live in their “homegrown territory.” (Wait what)
    • Within each club’s 54-player protected list, teams must protect a minimum of 10 and maximum of 20 players from their respective under-15 and under-17 MLS Next academy teams. Teams also must protect a minimum of five and a maximum of 15 players from the under-19 age group

RSLer repped this.
  6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I'd describe the shifts as "incremental" more than "sweeping" but a step in the right direction. Apparently some clubs voted against this cause they wanted this proposal to go further - and I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of those clubs.

It's flown a little under the radar but in the last couple years RSL has emerged as one of the most aggressive and successful recruiters into our academy, especially in areas that aren't in anyone's HG territory. For instance, our first team has Orozco and Garcia (El Paso), Wellings (Michigan), Beavers (Nevada), etc.

Our incoming U15 class had 7 players from San Diego, 4 from Nevada, 2 more from El Paso, and a GK from Alaska. If we were allowed to poach in markets like Denver, Dallas, and LA I'm sure we'd do it.

15 to 32 and rslfanboy repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone connected to youth soccer in this state I’ve found the clubs direction of scouting so heavily to be a bit wrong. Don’t get me wrong, I think the club should go out and scout, but it’s come to almost completely ignoring local talent. There is a lot of local talent, too.

I also don’t like that this still starts at u15 and not younger. The club needs to do a lot more in identifying those young kids locally

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I don't understand the bolded part of your first sentence.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club prioritizes external scouting over scouting utah

sorry. Wrote that far too quickly before

RSLer repped this.
  10. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Chasing a Cup did a series ranking every MLS team's youth academy talent, and RSL ranks second.

The "Always promote from within at all costs" strategy has generally not served us well IMO, but truthfully I've been extremely impressed by what Tony Beltran has done with the academy ever since he's been brought in. His stamp is really felt on our '06 and '07 cohorts who are still a couple years away from making an impact on the first-team, but those cohorts each look like they could be as big as our '97 were.

If Fall were to be let go I'd be pretty happy with Beltran replacing him, truth be told.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is no way in hell the RSL academy should be ranked ahead of FC Dallas or NYRB. That is a joke.

irondeepbicycle and RSLer repped this.
  12. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    To clarify the rankings are of current talent only, '03 to '07. Historical rankings would surely rank Dallas first. As is, Dallas is close but FWIW we recruited a bunch of top kids away from them and our current talent is close.

I have a lot more confidence in Dallas to integrate them into the first team than the current RSL leadership but if you're only looking at current talent in the system, ranking RSL second is more understandable.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our key prospects as per that list:

AM, Diego Luna, 2003 / WING, Chris Garcia, 2003 / GK, Jeff Dewsnup, 2004 / CB, Jaziel Orozco, 2004 / GK, Gavin Beavers, 2005 / CM, Julio Benitez, 2005 / WING, Terron Williams, 2005 / AM, Jude Wellings, 2006 / WING, Izahi Amparo, 2006 / GK, Blake Kelly, 2006 / CB, Gershon Henry, 2006 / CF, Axel Kei, 2007 / WING, Zavier Gozo, 2007 / LB, Luis Rivera, 2007 / CB Nicholas Nobles, 2007 / CM, Dominic Berrios, 2007 / CB, Jahmani Stapleton, 2007 / GK, Ty Rinker, 2007 / CM, Owen Anderson, 2007 / AM, Brice Miller, 2007

NYRB has only nine guys in its list.

jessyca repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn’t sure where to put this, but the Academy thread seems to be appropriate. As one pretty unfamiliar with the history of USA youth soccer development as it relates to the USMNT from the 1990s to the present, I found this article to be educational. Based on comments from foreign observers near the end of the article it all sounds very hopeful.

https://sports.yahoo.com/usmnt-soccer-development-academy-mls-world-cup-150011102.html

Ismitje and Med_Phys repped this.
  15. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    RSL academy-turned-Monarchs midfielder Christian Nydegger has announced on Instagram he's going to serve an LDS mission.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck7BccXOS9n/

I think this is a first for RSL and possibly for all of professional soccer. But as RSL's academy continues to produce high-quality players from Utah I doubt Nydegger will be the last to serve a mission.

Good for Christian.

Ender16, goobx1, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  16. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    acima, RSLer, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.