RSL 2020 In-Season News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 29, 2020.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Just fine. Rattled but fine.

Taragui and 15 to 32 repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, with that said, give us the story then. Like did you have shampoo in your hair and your eyes closed while it went down? Did you slip on the soap? Did you lose power?

3. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is soooooo much worse than the offseason!

BalanceUT, 15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started a thread in the NSR for local COVID and earthquake information and discussion, if anybody is interested.

5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I was just at the point where I was going to wash my hair when it sounded like a semi truck was headed our way. I turned the water off, holed out, held on to the counter, power went out, grabbed a towel, ground stopped shaking, kinda dried off, got dressed, told the wife and daughter to get dressed, grab their car keys and get outside. Seemed like an eternity but probably 5 minutes.

crazy.

BalanceUT, SenordrummeR2, pcny and 2 others repped this.
  6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It woke me up and I'm clear up in South Ogden. Bed was shaking enough and it threw me off in my half asleep state.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think goob's story is an apt way to describe the actual RSL offseason...

2nd Mouse repped this.
  8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Yes. I agree. It's like the RSL FO spent the off season running around naked in the dark. Sounds about right.

SenordrummeR2, DrownedElf, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  10. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    acima, RSLer and Ender16 repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "MLS remains focused on playing the entire 2020 season and is evaluating all options, including pushing back the end of the season and playing MLS Cup in December, as the league did prior to the 2019 season"

Eh, that doesn't read like a winter schedule just yet.

In a best case scenario, teams are going to have to make up 10-11 games in that shortened window. If the league starts the week of May 10th, that's 30 weeks until the planned end of the season (Oct 4th). Going until the weekend of October 31st gives the league 34 weeks, from May 10th. Looking through the RSL schedule, there is a gap on the weekend of Sep 5/6 but otherwise every Sat/Sun from May 10th to Oct 4th has a game. So, yeah, these are almost all going to have to be midweek games or the season is going to have to move back significantly.

FIFA windows become a big question mark there. We've already seen Euro's and Copa America pushed to 2021. I don't have high hopes for the Olympics happening this year, either. When do things get moved to? Do they get moved? Is this mother nature's way of saying (among other things) world cup 2022 needs to go away?

RSLer repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that would be welcomed. I’m projecting this epidemic to be hitting its peak in the USA in May. If I am correct the season will not be reinitiated until very late summer at the earliest.

15 to 32 repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some terrific recommendations for soccer documentary and movie viewing in this column from MLSSoccer.com. Give us a review in the NSR movie thread if you watch one of them (or anything else for that matter).

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed
    it seems anything before June/July would take some serious luck/work/miracles

RSLer repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling that the season will wind up being shortened. I just don't see it being possible to have teams playing 3 a week for most of a season. Injuries and fatigue will make matches worse.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any plans teams had of bringing in players in the summer window are going to be damn near impossible to negotiate now, too.

RSLer repped this.
  17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A whole lot of teams are going to be without funds after this break, maybe the market will be wide open for teams that are solvent and able to make moves.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't thought of this part of it. I kind of hope FIFA puts a ban on transfer gouging teams. I have no idea how you implement it, but I can see some clubs with deeper pockets taking advantage of the situation. I really hope that it doesn't come to that, though.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a suggestion in this Armchair Analyst column about the club situations of USMNT prospects that Justen Glad should move on. The categories are "Set up for success" at the current club - Aaron Herrera is here - and "He'll get his chance" (David Ochoa is here) and "Might need to move."

Justen Glad, CB, RSL: It doesn't seem to matter that RSL's goals allowed per game are significantly lower with Glad on the pitch rather than off it over the past four years, or that their points per game are higher when he's playing than when he sits. What matters is that first Mike Petke and then Freddy Juarez decided to go with other options in the biggest games, and now, at age 23, Glad has lost his starting job.

Yes, he made the Olympic qualifying team, but the writing's on the wall.

20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    neg rep? :(

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I would argue that Glad was never truly MLS starting material until the last half of the 2019 season. I also believe he would have started the 2020 season if not for the call up to the Olympic team. Will he move on? I have no clue. A nice showing in the Olympics would have attracted some buyers.

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Olympics?

BalanceUT repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but was only referring to the first two games. At the time the Olympics was still expected to happen.

24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Allez RSL and georg repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then we need to see how the soccer went too:

Allez RSL and SenordrummeR2 repped this.